Watching "night of the living dead" 90's remake

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Watching "night of the living dead" 90's remake

Post by Superman »

I'm currently watching Romero's remake of the classis 'night of the living dead' and, I have to say, this move kicks ass. I love it. I've seen many other zombie movies ('Zombie,' 'Return of the Living Dead,' 'Dawn of the Dead,' etc) and I think this is one of my favorites. One of the main characters in this movie also played the mortician in 'Final Destination.' Anyone else like this movie?
Superman

Post by Superman »

Oh, also, does anyone know if this movie came out before "Resident Evil?" There are some scenes in this movie that look like they came right out of the game.
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

He's also the title character of the Candyman films...

and yes, it came out before Res Evil--1990 i believe. Resident Evil of course was inspired by all of Romero's films--Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

I love the NOTLD remake--some hate it, but i find the original film to drag in many places. The only flaw of the remake is that it suffers from the same problem of the original film, and that is tremendous overracting, especially on the part of the actor that plays Cooper. I mean how many times can he call someone a "yo yo"?

Anyway good movie. Too bad there isnt any uncut version available.
I'll swallow your soul!
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

This remake of 'Night Of The Living Dead' is my favourite zombie film ever. Watching Candyman kick the crap out of Zombies just rules.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I generally don't watch zombie movies but I watched this one because Pat Tallman was in it. At the time she was a semi-regular poster on AOL's B5 board and she got a kick out of the fact that a bunch of us were watching the movie.

Overall, it was a pretty good film. *spoiler*I like the very end when she shoots that one asshole who screwed them over even though he wasn't a zombie.
Superman

Post by Superman »

Yeah! I just finished it. Loved it. Sure it was overacted and cheesy, but that's what makes great horror. One funny thing I just thought about: In "Return of Living Dead," one of the characters mentioned that NOTLD was based off of a true story. This story would have been pretty hard to suppress and should have been common knowledge... anyway...

The actor who plays Candyman and Ben is named Tony Todd.

Does anyone know if NOTLD is on DVD. I rented it on VHS.
Superman

Post by Superman »

BTW, Tony Todd was the scientist on "Smallville," was one of the sgt's on "Platoon," and Star Trek TOS, DS9 and Voyager! Check it out.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Pe ... onid-11499
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Amazon has it listed. It looks like it was released in 2000 on DVD.

One thing of note. The guy who directed the film played Sex Machine in From Dusk Till Dawn. Tom Savini is rather famous as a makeup artist in horror circles.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Info on the DVD from Amazon.
# Starring: Tony Todd, Patricia Tallman, See more
# Director: Tom Savini
# Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
# Format: Color, Closed-captioned, Dolby, Widescreen
# Rated: Not for sale to persons under age 18.
# Studio: Columbia/Tristar Studios
# DVD Release Date: September 5, 2000
# DVD Features:
* Commentary by director Tom Savini
* Production notes
* Theatrical trailer(s)
* Making-Of Featurette: The Dead Walk
* Full-screen and widescreen anamorphic formats
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

Yeah they put a cool Special Edition on DVD about two years ago.

This was Tom Savini's directorial debut i believe; Savini is known as the "King of Splatter" and for good reason, seeing as he is repsonsible for bringing the most over the top and realistic gore ever seen on the screen; he's slowed down now, but back in the early 80's he was the makeup/FX equivalent to Steven Speilberg.

The NOTLD remake gets a lot of flack--some complain about the changed ending, but i think the film improves on the original in almost every way, while still remaining virtually identical to the original. Obviously the original is a far more important and revolutionary film, but just for entertainment value i prefer the remake. I love the false scare at the beginning with the graveyard "zombie". That one was just for the fans who thought they knew exactly what was coming. :P

My only hope is that the remake of Dawn of the Dead will be as good as this...but unfortunatly it seems that the film is going to be a big pile of shit. At least Romero produced the NOTLD remake... they really raped him on the DOTD remake.
I'll swallow your soul!