Justice League's 'Tabula Rasa'

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Justice League's 'Tabula Rasa'

Post by JME2 »

Synopsis: J'onn J'onzz has a crisis of conscience while Lex Luthor gains control of AMAZO, a powerful android who can copy the powers of the entire Justice League.

What I liked: Mercy Graves' return to the Animated DC Universe (last seen in STAS' Legacy, Part I), AMAZO (Both his design; very T-1000 as his voice, Robert Picardo AKA the Doctor on 'Star Trek Voyager' and Blackhawk in the 1st season finale 'The Savage Time'), Bats and Supes on a stakeout in the batmobile with Supes drinking the java, the fight scenes with AMAZO, Bats and the kryptonie, the music (BTAS remix twice!), Luthor's armor being collapsible, and Luthor's line to Ivo's body (Looks like the cigarettes finally got you - if this was Fox or even WB like it was for BTAS and TNBA, they would NEVER have been able to do that), AMAZO doing the Flash bit on Mercy, how J'onn turned AMAZO against Luthor, Luthor himself (Clancy Brown - his voice always makes an episode great!)

What I didn't like: The J'onn sublot (felt somewhat lacking to me), AMAZO's line "I learn. But I also adapt and evolve" (I have a problem with this because Robert Picardo, on 'Voyager' and when he said that, I half expected AMAZO to start wearing Borg impants) the J'onn/WW hug (No, it should have been Batman!)and AMAZO's origin/mission (Could have been a little more detailed - perhaps Amazo was part of Project Achiless, Lex's little anti-Supes think-tank; what he was supposed to evovle into?).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The stakeout scene had me laughing. It was just so out of place, like a scene from Law and Order, yet it was something I could believe Bats and Supes would do. I could even take the scene further, imagining how Bats would have offered the coffee to Supes from a canteen that Alfred had packed, and Supes asking how Alfred was doing.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

If this, like Twilight, is a taste of what's to come, than the 2nd season is going to kick ass!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Justice League = the shiznit!

Though, you have to admit how whacked it is that Amazo, an android built with HUMAN technology, can replicate a fucking RING OF POWER, something that IIRC only the Guardians on Oa are supposed to have the tech to do....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Steve wrote:Justice League = the shiznit!

Though, you have to admit how whacked it is that Amazo, an android built with HUMAN technology, can replicate a fucking RING OF POWER, something that IIRC only the Guardians on Oa are supposed to have the tech to do....
Considering the level of technology necessary for Amazo, is there really a need for superheroes if the government could massproduce such technology?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Considering the level of technology necessary for Amazo, is there really a need for superheroes if the government could massproduce such technology?
Yeah, a government that has little or no trust in a team led by a man that all of Earth believes willingly betrayed their planet to Darkseid in the animated Superman series finale 'Legacy'. That was actually my mjaor complaint of the 1st season - the fact that they never directly adressed the 'Legacy' issues, though there were hints. But still, this wasn't enough for a fan like myself who's been watching the Bruce Timm's animated series since Batman in 1992.

Yet, now we know thanks to Twilight that Supes has still been heavily affected by what occured. According to rumor, the upcoming episodes Eclipsed and Hereafter will deal more with the public's thoughts on the League and on Big Blue.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Is the Superman animated series the same continuity as JL?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

neoolong wrote:Is the Superman animated series the same continuity as JL?
Yes, the animated Superman, as well as the animated Batman, are all in the same continuity as Jl; they simply precede it. As for Batman Beyond, the producers maintain that it is a possible future, namely to placate the old BTAS fans.

Now, there are two major reasons why the events of 'Legacy' weren't addressed during the 1st season.

(1) Because most of the viewing audience for JL are new fans who never watched the other series.

(2) Series-Producer Bruce Timm stated that he wanted to get the show established and in its own niche before going back to the familiar, from Batman’s rogues to the Fourth World.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

JME2 wrote: According to rumor, the upcoming episodes Eclipsed and Hereafter will deal more with the public's thoughts on the League and on Big Blue.
Last week's episode, Only a Dream, also dealt with Legacy repercussions. It showed that, as with the end of the STAS series finale, Supes is still terrified that he will lose control, just as he did during the fight with Darkseid.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

JME2 wrote:.
Yeah, a government that has little or no trust in a team led by a man that all of Earth believes willingly betrayed their planet to Darkseid in the animated Superman series finale 'Legacy'. That was actually my mjaor complaint of the 1st season - the fact that they never directly adressed the 'Legacy' issues, though there were hints. But still, this wasn't enough for a fan like myself who's been watching the Bruce Timm's animated series since Batman in 1992.
From what I've heard, Justice League was/is supposed to take place some years after the Batman/Superman series'. If you look closely, Superman and Batman both looked a little older in the first episodes. I suppose the idea is that Superman must have spent some years working to rebuild his reputation.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

SAMAS wrote:
JME2 wrote:.
From what I've heard, Justice League was/is supposed to take place some years after the Batman/Superman series'. If you look closely, Superman and Batman both looked a little older in the first episodes. I suppose the idea is that Superman must have spent some years working to rebuild his reputation.
One thing that sucks is that they've said they may not maintain BB: ROTJ in their canon. It would rule to have an episode with Batman suffering the emotional aftereffects of what was done to Tim Drake and Joker's demise.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

The joker isn't quite dead yet so there may yet be such an episode.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:The joker isn't quite dead yet so there may yet be such an episode.
You Only Live Twice [/i]completely invalidates/contradicts On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, but I like them both, so they both happened! There, see how easy that was?

"I guess, sub-consciously, I was thinking about a link from Batman: the

Here's Series Producer Bruce Timm's thoughts on the whole 'Return of the Joker'/Justice League issue:

"“We still maintain that Batman Beyond is only a possible future, mostly to placate the hardcore Batman: the Animated Series fans who choose to believe the Batman Beyond world will never happen, which is fine by me—continuity’s a fluid thing. I mean, [James Bond’s] Animated Series to Justice League to Batman Beyond when I gave Batman his new big-ass ears and heeled boots, but I wouldn’t swear to it. Ultimately though, since we want to use Joker in Justice League, obviously Robin [couldn’t] have killed him yet…or maybe he never will. Ow, my head hurts ."
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Sorry about the above - my computer went wacko one me for a sec.

“We still maintain that Batman Beyond is only a possible future, mostly to placate the hardcore Batman: the Animated Series fans who choose to believe the Batman Beyond world will never happen, which is fine by me—continuity’s a fluid thing. I mean, [James Bond’s] You Only Live Twice completely invalidates/contradicts On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, but I like them both, so they both happened! There, see how easy that was?

"I guess, sub-consciously, I was thinking about a link from Batman: the Animated Series to Justice League to Batman Beyond when I gave Batman his new big-ass ears and heeled boots, but I wouldn’t swear to it. Ultimately though, since we want to use Joker in Justice League, obviously Robin [couldn’t] have killed him yet…or maybe he never will. Ow, my head hurts."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

And apparently its also in the same continuity as "Static Shock", since there was an episode where Braniac tried to digitize Detroit and another where Harley and Ivy team up with a 'bang baby'.

Has there been any JL appearances on Teen Titans?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Static is from Milestone, which is owned by DC along with Wildstorm and Vertigo....

animated Saint of Killers anyone, or howabout the Authority vs. The Justice League....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Static is from Milestone, which is owned by DC along with Wildstorm and Vertigo....

animated Saint of Killers anyone, or howabout the Authority vs. The Justice League....
Bad Colin :P

MA for a cartoon would be a new feature though.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:And apparently its also in the same continuity as "Static Shock", since there was an episode where Braniac tried to digitize Detroit and another where Harley and Ivy team up with a 'bang baby'.

Has there been any JL appearances on Teen Titans?
Not yet, and I hope they don't. TeenTitans is drawn in a very exaggerated anime style, teardrops, huge yelling heads, and all. That just doesn't cross over well with JL's more traditional American animation.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well the Authority certainly would muck a few heads.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Personally, I wish Teen Titans had been done in the style of the Timm and co. Animated series, but you can't wish for it all. Besides, it shows just how much anime has influenced our pop culture....