What would happen if the magic gene is found?(Harry Potter)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Tasoth wrote:If the witch hunts where based upon superstition and, to an extent, greed, if real magic popped up, people would burn and probably at the hands of everyday people.
On rare occasion Muggles did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever, The witch or wizard simply performed a basic -flame freezing charm and pretended to scream in pain while in fact enjoying a mild tickling sensation. Indeed, Wendelin the weird enjoyed being burned so much she allowed herself to be caught no fewer than 23 times in various disguises!
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Hunting an 'enemy' who can apparate and disapparate at will would make for a rather tricky piece of persecution anyway, more non-magic folks would be caught and burnt by hysteria than genuine captures of witches and wizards. And short of killing them all, what are you going to do with them?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I imagine learning to stop a bullet to the brain is harder than casting a fire-ward charm. In any case, wizards and witches have a lot of certain paraphenalia laying about, and they don't exactly fit in. For best results, you'd need spies. Thoes wouldn't be too hard to find, if a total bastard like Voldemort can get a whole coven's worth.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

if there was a magic gene, I can see it being regarded as a stage of evolution (you have to admit, wizards have serious advantages over muggles) if exposed as such.

There would also be a massive backlash and a lot of civil unrest

in effect

It would become like X-men is portrayed in the movies if word got out
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

if there was a magic gene, I can see it being regarded as a stage of evolution (you have to admit, wizards have serious advantages over muggles) if exposed as such.
I'm not entirely sure that's true. On the level of single person, yes, but the lack of magical muscles seems to actually mean we're ahead of Wizards in a lot of the ways that count. In exchange for magic, we've developed far better technologies and science and - more inportantly - organizational skills to motivate whole societies. The magic folk can't create any culture at all; everything they have is ripped off from other societies.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Depends on how you look at it.

Wizards and other spellcasters had to keep there exsistence pretty secret. Alot of them probably also resent alot technology, as it gives muggles a way to stand up to them, and has done alot of damage and forced them even further into secret.

Also, they don't need alot of technology. Face it, do you need lightbulbs if you have a want and can go 'light', etc
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

The fact that your average wizard from Hogwarts already uses a fair amount of muggle technology (plumbing, steam engines) I'ld say the interest would be high but then die off.

Science, after all is for everybody. No magic marker genes, midichlorians or blessings from gods required.

You too, can turn wind into pizzas. When Snape or McGonagal can do that, I'll be jealous. Not before.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Crazedwraith wrote: On rare occasion Muggles did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever, The witch or wizard simply performed a basic -flame freezing charm and pretended to scream in pain while in fact enjoying a mild tickling sensation. Indeed, Wendelin the weird enjoyed being burned so much she allowed herself to be caught no fewer than 23 times in various disguises!
And the muggles somehow did not catch on as the person did not catch on fire or burn at all in all that time...seems rather suspect. Of course, they probably just apparated out of the flames after a while of 'show-boating...

Again, my brain has trouble accepting it--they're tied to a wooden stake and, one assumes, that their wands were taken away. Sure, some spells can be cast without wands from some wizards, but I doubt one such as Apparate/disaparate is one of them.

It...just doesn't make sense to me sitting down and thinking about it...then again, when have HP books ever been about logic?

It's why I classify it as "Wizarding Propoganda".
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Well, I know what I would do if I had that trait... I would try t take over... but that is just me.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

SirNitram wrote:
BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:The biggest assumption, glaring out at the reader, in this paragraph is that 'magic' can be effectively harnessed outside of normal methods of spells and magical devices, if at all. Several systems of magic require a mind to direct the energies; do you plan to put an AI in everything you want to tap this power?
In the "Artemis Fowl" books, in which they do spend a lot of time using magic scientifically, they can get wizards to chant into crystals, and use the crystals to perform the magic later, making things more efficient and more manageable. A way to use mental magic without an AI.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

BlackWarMewtwo wrote:
SirNitram wrote:The biggest assumption, glaring out at the reader, in this paragraph is that 'magic' can be effectively harnessed outside of normal methods of spells and magical devices, if at all. Several systems of magic require a mind to direct the energies; do you plan to put an AI in everything you want to tap this power?
In the "Artemis Fowl" books, in which they do spend a lot of time using magic scientifically, they can get wizards to chant into crystals, and use the crystals to perform the magic later, making things more efficient and more manageable. A way to use mental magic without an AI.
An interesting, if rather genre-specific solution. Thanks.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

Majin Gojira wrote:Again, my brain has trouble accepting it--they're tied to a wooden stake and, one assumes, that their wands were taken away. Sure, some spells can be cast without wands from some wizards, but I doubt one such as Apparate/disaparate is one of them.
We've seen Fred and George apparate, and there was no mention of wands, they just disappeared. Considering they're only affecting their own bodies, I don't think that's farfetched.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Witch-Burner A: Well, looky there, the body just dissapeared, is that's what supposed to happen when we burn a witch? Poof? gone

Witch-Burner B: I right don't know. I reckon so

Firstly, this assumes extreme stupidity on part of the burners (which, generally speaking, is a given in ancient times).

Secondly, unless apparating is done through a simple thought or the wiggling of an insanifigant appendage or a specific word (or any combination of the three), I doubt one could when tied to a stake.

How does one apparate? Has it ever been described. Feel free to enlighten me. Be specific as possible with the books, unless they are conviniently vague.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Tasoth wrote:If the witch hunts where based upon superstition and, to an extent, greed, if real magic popped up, people would burn and probably at the hands of everyday people.
On rare occasion Muggles did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever, The witch or wizard simply performed a basic -flame freezing charm and pretended to scream in pain while in fact enjoying a mild tickling sensation. Indeed, Wendelin the weird enjoyed being burned so much she allowed herself to be caught no fewer than 23 times in various disguises!
If you're going to quote directly from the HP books, then say so. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.