Advent Children Pics

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Advent Children Pics

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

http://makyz.com/albums/Misc/ff7_21.jpg

http://makyz.com/albums/Misc/ff7_22.jpg

http://makyz.com/albums/Misc/ff7_23.jpg

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Publisher: Square Enix
Platform: DVD
Genre: Video
Origin: Japan
Release: Summer 2004

I still have my doubts.

If it flops then I'm officially excluding it from any FF canon and my mind. If it's okay then I may just keep it.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I just consider it nothing more then Square flexing it CGI muscle.

Maybe this is what cinemas will look like in FF12.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I wish they would go for a more cartoonish look with the 3D renders. You know, make them closer to the originals.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durran Korr wrote:I wish they would go for a more cartoonish look with the 3D renders. You know, make them closer to the originals.
Yeah, Sephy looks more like an angsty woman in this and Cloud's hair is just shown to be more insane. Something was lost when FFVIII had realistic in game models and CGI all the time.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I don't really think so...I think that realistic models are fine for some games, but not FFVII, given its anime sensibilities.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durran Korr wrote:I don't really think so...I think that realistic models are fine for some games, but not FFVII, given its anime sensibilities.
Well they're all tied into animé in one way or another, the latest games seem like more realistic animé models though.

I just think they've fucked up their chances of making this as good as I expected, I wish they'd just leave good things be and learn that not everyone wants a bloody sequel to a major hit.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:I don't really think so...I think that realistic models are fine for some games, but not FFVII, given its anime sensibilities.
Well they're all tied into animé in one way or another, the latest games seem like more realistic animé models though.

I just think they've fucked up their chances of making this as good as I expected, I wish they'd just leave good things be and learn that not everyone wants a bloody sequel to a major hit.
I think the CGI looks nice, but I'll hold judgement until I see it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:

My biggest problem is Sephiroth being in it. He's DEAD, goddammit.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durran Korr wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:

My biggest problem is Sephiroth being in it. He's DEAD, goddammit.
Flashbacks, that's what they're meant to be, I bloody hope they are too!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Does actually anyone know persay the story(like a hint of it other then pictures of FF7 redux)

Though they showed Sephy walking up to someone in a wheelchair.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Is it just me, or does it look more like live-action than CGI??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Is it just me, or does it look more like live-action than CGI??
No moe live action than FF: TSW or the FFX cutscenes. CGI has moved on a lot this last decade, FF: TSW was the first photorealistic CGI film essentially.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I give 2-1 odds it sucks.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Sephiroth looks like a combination between FF9's Kuja and FF6's Kefka.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

They should ahve stuck more with the original FF7 Sephiroth FMV model. Now he looks like some wackjob whore who's been up all night, instead of the psychopathic badass he was in FF7.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Interesting...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Pictures 1 and 2 are helluva ugly.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

http://klick.kicks-ass.org/pic/FF7%20-% ... ailer.mpeg

Be kind; it's not a particularly fast site, and it's a 44 meg file.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Seeing that video, my opinion has shifted upwards some. Looks beautiful, animation-wise.

Personally, I don't find the character designs to be bad at all. Sephiroth has always looked like a woman. Like with Cloud (who I think looks really good), it seems that they just toned down his design and made it more realistic.

My only complaint is that in the teaser, Sephiroth's sword is 2-3x too short. ;)

As for why Sephiroth is alive, it's possible that in addition to being a sequel, it could be a side story or AU...

I'd like to see how the other characters look, especially Aeris. :mrgreen:

And finally, I REALLY hope that Nobuo Uematsu will be composing the score...

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

This is supposed to be only 90 minutes tops right? How can Square possibly compliment a story as complex as FF VII in 90 minutes? This just HAS to suck, just because it can't possibly do the original any justice. The CG looks great, but I doubt that means anything.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I don't remember reading anything about what it's expected running time is supposed to be.

I thought it was just a side story/sequel, not a remake of the game's plot. Is there any official word of what the actual story or setting is?

At least this time there's no chance of the Americans fucking everything up (although I still really like FF: TSW)...

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I don't remember reading anything about what it's expected running time is supposed to be.

I thought it was just a side story/sequel, not a remake of the game's plot. Is there any official word of what the actual story or setting is?

At least this time there's no chance of the Americans fucking everything up (although I still really like FF: TSW)...
Dude, you had better be kidding about "Americans" fucking up FF:TSW. First off, Square USA (Square's animation studio in Hawaii) is probably the same group that is doing this project. Second, Hironabu Sakaguchi (the father of Final Fantasy) directed FF:TSW and half of his people had worked on various Final Fantasy projects.

As for running time, I read that the magazine that got the scoop on the movie reported a 90 minute running time, although I can't seem to find the link. I know this isn't a remake but it is supposed to expand upon the general story which I can't see how they can do in that brief a period of time. It's like trying to tell LOTR in a 2.5 hour movie.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I meant that if the Americans weren't involved and it were a strictly Japanese exclusive production on everything other than technical sections, perhaps the film wouldn't have been as weak as it was.

They could have at least had Uematsu do the score (if he wasn't already occupied, that is), but at least the first song that played during the closing credits was Final Fantasy-esque, but instead of whatever disposable alternative-pop ditty they had after that, they should have used the Prelude...

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

TSW was just Square USA's first attempt at a movie. The FF name being attached to it was pointless.

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I meant that if the Americans weren't involved and it were a strictly Japanese exclusive production on everything other than technical sections, perhaps the film wouldn't have been as weak as it was.

They could have at least had Uematsu do the score (if he wasn't already occupied, that is), but at least the first song that played during the closing credits was Final Fantasy-esque, but instead of whatever disposable alternative-pop ditty they had after that, they should have used the Prelude...
But that's pretty much what it was! Sakaguchi both directed and wrote it with almost all the American talent being in the technical/animation side. Really, this was a VERY Japanese production. You wonder why there is a giant cannon in the movie?