How heavy were the turtle shells Goku wore when he trained?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Hamel
Sith Marauder

How heavy were the turtle shells Goku wore when he trained?

Post by Hamel »

Under Kame Sennin's training, Goku and Kururin wore extremely heavy turtle shells on their backs

Some idiot said he was going to train using heavy objects on his back (a nice way to permanenttly disable yourself)

And get this~
Some people out there think you can pull ki attacks like in DBZ~
Well, to be more accurate, some think you can only utilize invisible ki that does piddly stuff like move cards, and some think that with enough training you could do something like a kamehameha and blow up a house

Not only is this not funny, it's scary that people are stupid enough to believe this crap
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

According to Volume Three of the Dragon Ball manga, Goku and Kuririn each wore a 20 Kg shell on their backs for the first seven months of Kame Sen'nin's training, and 40 Kg shells for the eighth month.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Damn thee Spanky, ou beat me, but I just can't hate someone with an avatar that kawaii.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:According to Volume Three of the Dragon Ball manga, Goku and Kuririn each wore a 20 Kg shell on their backs for the first seven months of Kame Sen'nin's training, and 40 Kg shells for the eighth month.

Anyways, they gave the weight in pounds in the anime. I just can't remember, but it was alot, 50-100 pounds, I believe.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

which are roughly the same weights I listed converted from kilograms to pounds. :)

I used the manga because that's what I have and it is considered to be the DB canon, while the anime are just official. At least that's how the fans treat them in debates.

And glad you like Sumomo. :mrgreen:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

For the record, real people do train using weighted clothing; I've seen ads for weight vests in martial arts magazines. You can add these metal slug things into pockets in the fabric to adust the weight. But they're well designed and padded to deliver the weight load all over your torso, like a good backpack; if some kid watching DB decided to try it on their own for kicks they'd definately hurt themselves.

Eyuch, puctuation hell.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I personally view ki as a more internal thing. It's a knowing of your balance and position, and an ability to act unconsciously to respond to an opponent or sparring partner. It's beyond just prediction to reading from posture and movement exactly what the other person will do. I've only gotten into such a state a handful of times, and it's definitely weird. You don't think at all, but you know exactly what's happening, and can figure the best counter before the attack even starts.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

That's not ki. That's experience. You don't need to be some hardened student of mystical martial arts to do that.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!