Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I was pleasantly surprised by the voice cast when I finally saw FF:TSW on a rental. What sucked was... well... the whole plot.

Evil General: Alien monsters are killing us. We should build a big gun and blow them to hell.

Space Hippies: No way man, shooting is like all wrong and stuff! We totally have to get in touch with the spirit of the earth! It's all about Gaia, man!

Me: Gaia? What the fuck are you talking about?

Evil General: Gaia? What the fuck are you talking about?
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:I was pleasantly surprised by the voice cast when I finally saw FF:TSW on a rental. What sucked was... well... the whole plot.

Evil General: Alien monsters are killing us. We should build a big gun and blow them to hell.

Space Hippies: No way man, shooting is like all wrong and stuff! We totally have to get in touch with the spirit of the earth! It's all about Gaia, man!

Me: Gaia? What the fuck are you talking about?

Evil General: Gaia? What the fuck are you talking about?
Like I said, I think the problems with the plot stemmed from the fact that the director was too used to having 30 hrs. of gameplay to develop a plot. There was nothing wrong with the whole Gaia thing, they just needed about three more hours of movie time to explain it.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Well yeah, but almost any nonsensical movie would make sense given three extra hours of explanation. Bottom line is that TSW killed all the goodguys, and I hate that.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Well yeah, but almost any nonsensical movie would make sense given three extra hours of explanation. Bottom line is that TSW killed all the goodguys, and I hate that.
I totally agree with you. The only thing is I realize that some stories just aren't meant to be told in a short amount of time. Take Issac Asimov's Foundation series. You simply couldn't tell this story in a movie. It would take a mini-series at the very least. It doesn't mean it was a bad story though.

Bottom line: yes, they fucked up FF: TSW good. I was especially disappointed though because of all the potential it had. This was a movie that COULD have been truly excellent with a little more forethought.