Men vs Women, Vandread style

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Which side wins?

Men
52%
Women
13%
MAD
35%

Total votes: 23

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Men vs Women, Vandread style

Post by Shinova »

Now this topic isn't meant to stir up any flames or controversy over men or women.

In the anime series Vandread, the premise is that somehwere along the line, men and women went separate ways and each established their own empires. Propelled by government propaganda and conflicts, both sides are at war against each other. All parents are obviously homosexual, and children are created with genetic engineering.

Now, let's say that starting in the near future, men and women have split. Fast forward enough time for both to become established empires. Which side do you think has a better chance at defeating the other?

Assume that both sides have equal or nearly equal tech, numbers, and resources.

Also assume that peace is not an option. One must defeat/destroy the other.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

In the anime series Vandread, the premise is that somehwere along the line, men and women went separate ways and each established their own empires. Propelled by government propaganda and conflicts, both sides are at war against each other. All parents are obviously homosexual, and children are created with genetic engineering.
Actually, I don't really see the men of Taraaku being homosexual. Given what we see of the male society, I just don't see it. Probably straight cloning.

As for the winner, I would say the males.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The men. We are more aggressive.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

fgalkin wrote:The men. We are more aggressive.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Modern weaponry does a good job of making that, and the generally superior upper body strength of males irrelevant in action. But if they where all using pre gunpowder arms for some reason then the advantage would be quite significant.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

fgalkin wrote:The men. We are more aggressive.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Men are aggressive, but women are tenacious, and just as willing as men when it comes to push-button violence.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Women aren't quite as wimpy as the worst stereotypes claim... But closer to it than is popular to state these days. Sheesh, I just listened today to a roof full of women talking about how icky and scary mice are. :roll:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Men vs. women would never work. There'd be too much fraternizing with the enemy.
JADAFETWA
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Room full of women, not roof full...
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

The women would have the numbers advantage. Quite a bit easier to create a synthetic sperm than to build an elaborate incubation system, like the men would have to do.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

The men would lose. We would be too willing to let the women rape and pillage. Well, rape might not be the right word.
But, most likely the woman would win because the men would have a great deal of instability in the command structure. Men are aggressive and would (if instictual response is still in) fight over spoils/prisoners, and would generally have a harder time getting along. Just try working with classmates you don't know well. Now imagine having to fight a well equipped enemy that gives you a hard-on with them. Friendly fire that would make us americans look like sharpshooters.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Psycho Smiley
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Psycho Smiley »

I voted for mutually assured destruction. With the given technology levels, neither side would have a significant military advantage.

As for strategy, both sexes have shown themselves to be cunning and vicious. Given the depth of the schism that seems to have taken place in the scenario, I believe each side would resort to drastic measures if they were about to be defeated.
An Erisian Hymn:
Onward Christian Soldiers, / Onward Buddhist Priests.
Onward, Fruits of Islam, / Fight 'till you're deceased.
Fight your little battles, / Join in thickest fray;
For the Greater Glory / of Dis-cord-i-a!
Yah, yah, yah, / Yah-yah-yah-yah plfffffffft!
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Drooling Iguana wrote:The women would have the numbers advantage. Quite a bit easier to create a synthetic sperm than to build an elaborate incubation system, like the men would have to do.
I don't think so. At the very least both male "parents" are at 100% working order while one member of the female couple will have to be out of action for 9 months.

And as a side-note to the original post.
And I don't think Vandread males have sexuality. Men are very casual in asking another man to have a baby with no emotions involded what so ever. Its obviosly a hybrid clone /incubation system type deal so there is a good chance they don't normally even have families. The women are homosexual though, with a family structure nearly identical to ours just with a Fomar in the place of a man.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Anybody have a link to info about Vandread?
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Men win, for the reason Fgalkin gave.
delicious pies
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Iceberg wrote:Anybody have a link to info about Vandread?
This provides some stuff
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=345
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=601

Anime News Network has some good reviews and info about the series.

Personally, I found it to be a very entertaining series that had more potential than what it became. There was one episode that had a LOT of emotional weight, but it wasn't really followed up very well, in my opinion.

Viola

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Should be "very entertaining series that had more potential than what it became." If I could get a fix.

All done...now off to worship the Cat God of DOOM!!!

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

I would have to say
MAD
Men and women are just to proud and head strong to back down from eachother.
Makes you wonder if who or what ever made us is a sadistic fucker because of the way men and women are
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

With similar levels of high technology both sides would destroy each other.

Dark Hellion: Men would have a harder time getting along? You obviously haven't payed enough attention to female backstabbing and cattyness.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Men are more willing to be embattled in the open. Women keep their cattyness behind closed doors, holding private vendettas, as a generalization of course.
Woman would most likely function better sociatally then men. The men would be a better military, but would lack the backing to conduct a prolonged campaign, and again, if human sexuallity still applied, would be likely to want to mingle with the enemy, and would desert too easily. The war probably wouldn't go on for long when the two sides figured out how good it felt to have sex with eachother though.
The scenario is so downright silly that you can't have an actual intellegent discussion on it anyways.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

You know if this came to pass there would be one good thing about it.
No STD's

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

what, no one['s gonna bring up the old PC Game Gender Wars?

same premise...syndicate style RTS game where men and women have seperated societies. very tongue in cheek and also poking fun at those cattyness/shopping/testosterone filled drinking bouts stuff...

oh and, Vandread is great :D

for the HAB: the women win. The use starfighters. the men use...mecha. :P
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

AniThyng wrote:what, no one['s gonna bring up the old PC Game Gender Wars?

same premise...syndicate style RTS game where men and women have seperated societies. very tongue in cheek and also poking fun at those cattyness/shopping/testosterone filled drinking bouts stuff...

oh and, Vandread is great :D

for the HAB: the women win. The use starfighters. the men use...mecha. :P
Heheheh I have that game

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

AniThyng wrote:for the HAB: the women win. The use starfighters. the men use...mecha. :P
Mecha with melee weapons, no less. :mrgreen:
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Women lose a big advantage if they aren't able to distract men with their... er, assets...
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.