Split from EVA question(Anime = Jingoism?)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Rubberanvil wrote:I should add GitS: SAC for for throwing in the United States Empire which is probably a jab at Bush Jr.
I doubt it.

Post hoc ergo promptor hoc...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Rubberanvil wrote:I should add GitS: SAC for for throwing in the United States Empire which is probably a jab at Bush Jr.
Which episode? The only anti-American thing I remember in the series so far is Episode 10, which has the CIA as the bad guys, although criticizing the CIA isn't exactly anti-American inherently.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Episode 21 mentions the "American Empire". They were basically going to warn them that they were instituting full-spectrum communications monitoring to find someone.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Durran Korr wrote:
Which episode? The only anti-American thing I remember in the series so far is Episode 10, which has the CIA as the bad guys, although criticizing the CIA isn't exactly anti-American inherently.
That's why I didn't bother mentioned them because they're usually the badguys in every other film or show they're in.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

But then, that have nothing to do with "WW defeat syndrome"...Not many countries in the world would portrait US Governament as the good guys anywhere...
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

But then, that have nothing to do with "WW defeat syndrome"...Not many countries in the world would portrait US Governament as the good guys anywhere...
There's nothing like taking a jab at the top dawg.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Not really, since GinS seems to be in the same timeline as Appleseed. After WWIII America is split into the north and "Imperial Americana" in the south, with its capital in Austin. In GitS: MMI we also see that Posideon has been created. Of course, the Appleseed timeline diverged from our own in 1988, so I hope its been revised a little bit to account for such discrepencies as the abscence of a World War in '96...
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

I stand corrected.
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

I think it is kind of funny that some random poster on Patlabor 3rd movie says "Imperialist Americans go home" or something like that. And it has annoying genjin with appearently no manners.

....hmmm..... I guess thats to most "accurate" reflection of Japanese annoyance at da US