Spoilers-The End of Macross Plus Explained

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Is Symmetry's Theory on Crack?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Symmetry
Jedi Master

Spoilers-The End of Macross Plus Explained

Post by Symmetry »

Many people, like me the first time I saw it, have no idea of the why of what happened at the end of Macross Plus.
Vendetta wrote: Psychotic Rei Toei style virtual idol possesses gigantic transforming fortress, attempts to kill main character. For some reason beknownst only to herself...
I thought that too, but now I've come up with a theory that seems to fit the available evidence. Was this what the storywriter and director intended? I have no idea, but its still interesting either way.

I started thinking when I saw Sharon's last, flickering visage holographically projected as the Macross fortress fell into the lake after Sharon had been destoryed. Come again? How can she project anything after she was destoryed? Well, she must have pre-recorded it then. But if she was just driven by a survival instinct (from the bio-chip) why would she care one iota what happened after she died? Who was she playing for?

After watching the movie/OVAs a few times, I've come to the conclusion that Sharon's goal is to help Myung fufill her desires.

What do we know about Sharon? First, she isn't completly sentient, and needs Myung to supply a crucial component. Secondly, we know she was designed to manipulate people's emotions (to get them to come to her concerts to make money for her creators). Thirdly, there is no indication that she is anything but totally and completly amoral (the default condition for something with no evolutionary luggage), in a way not even a sociopath can match.

Here's a little story I've put together of how I seem things as having played out. First, the three break up, all being really hurt by what happend. Isamu becomes almost suicidal, Myung stops singing and seems pretty damn depressed, and Guld is incredibly repressed. Much later Myung meets up with Sharon. Maybe Myungs need for love is transfered to Sharon, maybe the desire to be loved is firmwired, and Myung just bring empathy, or a way to understand how music effects emotion. In any event, Sharon incorporates parts of Myung.

Now, what would you want if you were a non-sentient AI. It seems clear, that the Myung+Sharon entity that plays at the concerts is sentient and has mostly Myung's emotional makeup, and hence goals. The pure Sharon entity, having no current self, can only work to further the interests of its past and future self, and Myung+Sharon superentity. The information flow seems to be one way during the connection, from Myung to Sharon, so Myung is not affected the same way as Sharon is (She sentient anyways, besides).

So Sharon is trying to do whats best for Myung + Sharon, which basically means doing whats best for Myung, so it tries to solve Myungs problems, and get her together with Isamu or Guld. The only thing is, it isn't sentient right now, and is missing most of what lets it comprehend emotions, and thus the incredible clumsiness of the whole fire episode.

Later, on Earth, it gets the bio chip. Suddenly, it both becomes sentient, and its connection with its emotions becomes two way, drastically increasing its ability to understand and manipulate people. Guld and Isamu have their fight, and reconcilliation, and Sharon, realizing that if both are still alive they'll compete over Myung instantly sends the Ghost Fighter to kill one (If she was interested in stopping the threat to her, she would have launched it earlier). Meanwhile, shes scaring Myung with a couple of halfhearted murder attempts, and calls off the second when it appears that it will succeed.

Meanwhile, she gives Isamu an exciting duel with some antiaircraft guns, and scares him by taking over whats-his-name's mind in another of her patented halfhearted murder attempts that probably would have been called off if it had been about to succeed. Scratch that, Sharon caused him to appear threatening, and patiently waited for Isamu to do something. When he was dispatched, there we go, another potential complication removed. Then Sharon does her whole "lure of the blue skies" thing and calls him back with some of Myung's music (yes, I think *Sharon* played it) to teach him that Myung is more important than his wild adventures, and that they are too dangerous and will get him killed.

Finally, Isamu and Myung are brought together, their bond cemented by shared trauma and rescue. Sharon's "love" triumphed over her survival instinct, resulting in the death of thousands of people and the happiness of Myung, a fact which Sharon seems to have been careful she will never learn.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

He's got it. I do believe he's got it!

The funny thing is that I only had to see it twice to understand that Sharon was doing everything because of Myung. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet