Eva 01 had Yui's soul, so why does it act animalistic?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Darth Yoshi wrote:What evidence do we have that Yui was actually in control in ep. 1? It could have simply been the EVA instinctually acted on Yui's desire to protect her son.
That's what SHODAN suggested.

Oh, and don't resurrect dead threads. :wink:
By His Word...
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Ah, jopy... the standard Eva thread... Sehp bitching about everything insite, even though eh only watched up to around \episode 8, which is, Shep, under a third of the series, and barely over a quarter. The plot doesn't start to get screwy as it normally would until epsode 13 or 14, so just shut the fuck up until you've watched the rest of the series.

As to my personal take to he matter... Yui went nuts being alone inside the damn thing, and all that was left of her was her will to protect her son, much like NAoko (who is often beleived to be inside Unit-00) has just her hatred of Rei and Geno left for her.

Oh, and Shep, the requirement for cables was the show's attempt(very vague attempt, and also a useable plot device in the several episodes you haven't watched yet, because you've only watched the first eight episodes) at being realistic. They couldn't mount a nuclear reactor in the thing as it might prove to be unstable (as demonstrated by the Jet Alone Unit, when it nearly melted down) and they hadn't fully developed the regular power supply, the S2 engine (in fact, a test using Unit-04 wiped out a section of Nevada, and Unit-03, the only other Eva with a human built S2 engine, got infected with an Angel in transti to Japan and had to be destroyed) And FYI, the S2 engine ain't some fancy-shmacy "No explanation at all" power supply, its matter annie-plant with an ~99% efficenty rating, IIRC (Dr. Akagi mentions it at some point, prolly around when Unit-04 wipes itself out or Unit-03 goes blue)
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Singular Quartet wrote:Oh, and Shep, the requirement for cables was the show's attempt(very vague attempt, and also a useable plot device in the several episodes you haven't watched yet, because you've only watched the first eight episodes) at being realistic.
Actually, the cable and the Eva's limited internal power supply was more of an homage to an earlier series, which featered mech/super robots with 5-minute running times, iirc, and it's not a plot device/soruce of realism so much as just additional conflict to give more concrete limitations on Evas' capabilities. Keep in mind the electricity was being used to stimulate the Eva's musculature, in lieu of actual nerve impulses (like those science experiments with the frog legs wired to an electric current)
They couldn't mount a nuclear reactor in the thing as it might prove to be unstable (as demonstrated by the Jet Alone Unit, when it nearly melted down) and they hadn't fully developed the regular power supply, the S2 engine (in fact, a test using Unit-04 wiped out a section of Nevada, and Unit-03, the only other Eva with a human built S2 engine, got infected with an Angel in transti to Japan and had to be destroyed)

Not unstable, just a safety risk. A fission reactor could have been built in, but it simply would have been bulky and suceppable to damage. And it's likey that S2 engine wasn't actually 'experimental', but rather the device used to fuse the souls into the 4 earlier Evas (see also: Shinji's soul fusing with Eva 01 and his body reverting to LCL after taking in the 14th Angel's S2 'organ'), considering that S2 engines produce anti-AT fields.
And FYI, the S2 engine ain't some fancy-shmacy "No explanation at all" power supply, its matter annie-plant with an ~99% efficenty rating, IIRC (Dr. Akagi mentions it at some point, prolly around when Unit-04 wipes itself out or Unit-03 goes blue)
I don't recall it ever being fully explained, actually, let alone being labeled an M/AM device. It's simply been stated it converts matter into energy, no mechanism stated.

I suspect Shep is half-joking most of the time when he posts in these threads or boasts wild declarations over AIM, paritally for his own amusement and partially to appease some kind of insecurity issue or something. I lost all ability to take Shep serriously not long after he declared, when he was having a hissy-fit (over the fact that I've seen several times more NGE than he has and therefore know more him): "You're saying I have to watch eva 62,458 times!?!?!?" (paraphrased, but roughly that number). He's made several more statements like that over the months.

Shep may be crazy, but he'd have to purposely be acting stupid to say some of the stuff he has.
By His Word...