What's so great about anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Vendetta wrote:
Andras wrote:Patlabor 2 is a great movie. Very tense.

The original BGC series was very musically inclined. It has a great soundtrack.
They even did a live tour of it.

The DVD collection has videos from it on the soundtrack disc..
Yyp, I have the Hurricane Live 2032 and 2033 "music videos". Even though I don't know a word of what they're singing, I still love the music.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote: For one thing, I want to be able to verify whether or not any of them top Transformers: The Movie's "Dare to be Stupid". :wink: :P
*cues "Dare to be Stupid" just for fun*

Transformers: The Movie superior, Gundam Wing inferior!

(And speaking of GW, I think "Dare to be Stupid" should be Relena Peacecraft's personal theme song. Stupid pacifists!)
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:It pays homage to Batman: The Animated Series pretty heavily, as well. The Japanese seem to be quite fond of that one (justifiably so).
IIRC, they're the ones that animated it. ;)
I'm pretty sure it was the South Koreans who animated it, though seeing as they're the ones who do most of the in-betweens for many anime series' created today, it's the same difference really.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well I went through the convention scene once, talked with a few artists, that year there was a lot of heat on the anime/manga artists community, because of some serial killer who was copycating a dojinsu....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

What's so great about movies? Or television? Or books?

It's not even a genre so much as a medium.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

LadyTevar wrote:Still, this is one of the things that makes certain anime so compelling: the Storyline. If you could watch several back-to-back episodes of Big O, you'd see that the whole series is a tribute to Film Noir, from the cut of the clothing to the slow jazz music playing in the background.
Indeed, and I love the Asimov references and pseudo-1930's design of the androids. (Dorothy being First Lawed would explain a few times when it seemed like she could have made life a lot simpler by just kicking someone's ass, yet didn't do so.)
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Still, this is one of the things that makes certain anime so compelling: the Storyline. If you could watch several back-to-back episodes of Big O, you'd see that the whole series is a tribute to Film Noir, from the cut of the clothing to the slow jazz music playing in the background.
Indeed, and I love the Asimov references and pseudo-1930's design of the androids. (Dorothy being First Lawed would explain a few times when it seemed like she could have made life a lot simpler by just kicking someone's ass, yet didn't do so.)
Did you catch the arguement between R. Frederick O'Reilly and Dunston after O'Reilly murdered the Android Killer? Dunston was acting like O'Reilly shouldn't have been able to kill a human at all, because of his programming.

I think that the writers are using Asimov's Laws of Robotics for the robots. The question is, do the Bigs have the same programming? Is that why the statement is made "Cast in the Name of God, Ye not Guilty"? It's not just absolving the 'Dominus', but the Big himself of the possible death he/it causes?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear

I thought about that too,

Now what about the psycho chick andriod? "Red Death"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Possible, but spoiler clips I've seen lead me to believe it's judging the pilot.

SPOILER: At one point you'll see a megadeus judge it's pilot guilty, and then kill him.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Archaic` wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:It pays homage to Batman: The Animated Series pretty heavily, as well. The Japanese seem to be quite fond of that one (justifiably so).
IIRC, they're the ones that animated it. ;)
I'm pretty sure it was the South Koreans who animated it, though seeing as they're the ones who do most of the in-betweens for many anime series' created today, it's the same difference really.
Is that Risky in your avatar?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Re: What's so great about anime?

Post by Symmetry »

Dalton wrote:I like anime because it respects my intelligence.
Here here! I can't think of *any* American TV show I've seen that had as much respect for the viewer as the *average* anime. The second Matrix movie might have, though (I'm suspending judgment on that till after Revolutions). Oh, gotta watch out for that anime that pretends to be deep by just not making any sense, though.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Rubberanvil wrote:
zombie84 wrote: Its not that all anime sucks now--indeed, some of the best anime that has ever been seen has been created in the last 5 years or so,
Most of the best have been made before 1999.
Um, most anime was made before 1999, so its no suprise that the best was. Have you seen Wolf's Rain? Alien 9? Spirited Away? I'm not counting One Piece or Noir, though some would, but you have to admit there has been some good stuff out recently.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: What's so great about anime?

Post by Ghost Rider »

Darth Wong wrote:Well? The anime I've seen tends to be no more plausible or realistic than old-fashioned 80s cartoon junk, but it's more stylish and there's often singing. Why is everyone so hot about it?
Bouncy tits and shiny asses?

Overall, it's entertainment that has a wide variety that many can pick and choose what they like. It has stinkers and winners much like any other medium.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Symmetry wrote:
Rubberanvil wrote:
zombie84 wrote: Its not that all anime sucks now--indeed, some of the best anime that has ever been seen has been created in the last 5 years or so,
Most of the best have been made before 1999.
Um, most anime was made before 1999, so its no suprise that the best was. Have you seen Wolf's Rain? Alien 9? Spirited Away? I'm not counting One Piece or Noir, though some would, but you have to admit there has been some good stuff out recently.
I should add Abenobashi, Azumanga Daioh, Crest of the Stars (though not Battleflag), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Haibane Renmei, Rah-Xephon, and maybe Witch Hunter Robin (haven't finished it yet).

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Hamel wrote:
Archaic` wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: IIRC, they're the ones that animated it. ;)
Is that Risky in your avatar?
Yes. Nice to see someone for once who recognises the character. I assume your s/n refers to Hamel from Violinist of Hamelin?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I want to check out Risky Safety, but I didn't get the Newtype with the preview episode, and I am boarderline about buying the first DVD.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I want to check out Risky Safety, but I didn't get the Newtype with the preview episode, and I am boarderline about buying the first DVD.
There wasn't one. Risky Safety is distributed by AnimeNation Entertainment, not ADV. The first episode of RS was made availible for download from their site, both dubbed and subbed.

I still my copy of the sub on Sarah, but I think Uts might still have it on his computer.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Yosemite Bear

<outer limits voice>

Having split the thread from the Superman flame fest I now return your thread to responsible users.

</voice>

Now off to watch Innuyasha.

thank you

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

For those who wish to see Anime in the vein of Bugs Bunny, check out SD Gundam. Just last night I saw a bunch of sequences which wouldn't surprise me if they were in Looney Tunes, especially with the Zakus(Zaku! Zaku! Zaku!) and the train.

Besides, it's hard to be offended when the Gundams are now human sized robots that are so goofy.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm only a casual viewer, so my opinion doesn't carry much weight.

Its really hit or miss, like anything else. Although I do hate how its always the 13 year olds who can do everything (especially those zany girl androids), or the one robot/starship that defeats the evil after the entire military gets wiped out.

And to show just how casual I am, I like El Hazard, Cowboy Bebop, Street Fighter, and Vampire Hunter D. I've watched a lot more than that, though. Evangelion was okay, but I prefered its videogame counterpart Xenogears a lot more :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Mobile Suit Gundam is a classic must-watch. See the movie trilogy, not the series. It cuts out all the silly un-necessary stuff, and has cleaner animation.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I've only seen a bit of Anime, but I must say I quite liked it. Though all I've really seen is the Teknoman series and Ninja Scroll.

THAT is cool.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I've watched alot of anime over the years, the end, only a couple ever got to me.

-Macross (a.k.a. Robotech "part 1") - really long, continuous, self-consistent plot. Excellent animations, and lovable characters (that lived and died like real people). IMO the best ever.
-Cowboy Bebop - barely any continuity (there are like 3 episodes with Vicious, that actually had any), but great style. This show is ALL about style. But what a good style it is. Not that it lacks substance, but it's not as important as the style.
(i can also include a few "oldies" that were kinda cool, I'd say Cliffhanger/Lo-Pan gets at least a honorary mention)

Shows that I watched because they were so "hot" and people said they were "great" but it was more like "meh":

-Evangelion - a really silly plot combined with preteen fanservice, lots of emphasis on the AWE aspect. (like biblical references, and philosophical bullshit, to try to look very "profound" and "thought-inspiring", and 100s of fanboys saying that "if you don't like it, is because you don't understand it")
-Bubblegum Crisis - not great, but for some reason everyone watched it. One of those shows where apparently nothing ever happens in THIS episode but everything happens in the NEXT.
-Akira - overhyped, again trying to be over-profound (see Evangelion)
-Ghost in the Shell - better than Akira, but that's not saying much. Also less hype and philo-bs.

Shows ranging from fairly boring and silly to steaming pile of shit

-Pokémon - pet-abusing kids wanting to be "the best", and seizure-inducing hidden messages. Based on a game.
-digimon, beyblade, medabots, etc: really stupid shows jumping on the *mon bandwagon. Either promoting games (like dueling cards) or based on them, or simply showing some made-up game that couldn't possibly exist.
-Yu-Gi-Oh: also part of the "collecting & dueling" bandwagon, but slightly less stupid.
-Dragonball-Z: whoever made this should be shot
-Saint-Seiya: the top offender in the "as little happens in as many episodes as possible" group of anime, along with Dragonball and Bubblegum.

If anyone says I don't like anime because I haven't seen enough or I have a closed mind, then that anyone should shut the fuck up because he doesn't know how much anime I've watched or not or how open my mind is. I'm just trying to keep the list short.

Appendix: in a few shows I mentioned how "nothing ever happens in the current episode, but everything in the next" some are. I'd like to coin some kind of expression or cathegory to group these, but those who have seen Saint-Seiya, Dragonball-Z, that "super-champions" soccer show (don't remember the name) and so on will know what I'm talking about. Sometimes these scenes will play like this:

---

-Dude, let's go to the seventh house to defeat the master of Orion!
-Are you saying we should go to the seventh house?
-Yes!
-To defeat the master of Orion!
-Yes, we'll go to the seventh house to defeat the master!
-Of Orion!
They walk, and some random enemy stands in the way
-I can't let you into the seventh house!
-Why not?
-Duh, because I'm a bad guy... I mean, because you are not allowed to fight the master of Orion!
-But we must defeat the master of Orion to release the power of the God Queen and learn to use the 29-th sense
-Fools, you'll never learn to use the 29-th sense! I could kill you both right now!
-You could not!
-I could too!
-Could not!
-Could too!
-Not!
-Too!

"Tune in for the next episode, to know if they managed to use the 29th sense!"
(cue images of the next episode, where an awesome fight happens... of course, this 20 second fight will be spread thinly on the next 5 half-hour episodes. so you'll watch 4 seconds per episode, horribly dilluted with minutes and minutes of stupid conversation about the 29th sense)
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Why is everyone chewing out DBZ? I thought it was pretty good. I got introduced to it one morning after a cram session for one of my Uni exams at a friends house. KAMI....HAMI......WWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Gandalf wrote:I've only seen a bit of Anime, but I must say I quite liked it. Though all I've really seen is the Teknoman series and Ninja Scroll.

http://www.tekno-mania.com/images/Teknoman05.jpg

THAT is cool.
Tekkaman Blade!

I miss that one. :(
「かかっ―」