What's so great about anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:While I thought it was good, Lain was a little hard to watch at times. I found it to occasionally be a little too pretentious, and the limited and cheep Korean-based animation got irritating.

Not a good into title, but still pretty good.
You know, I LOVED the animation, its simplicity made it beautiful in a screwed up kind of was.

As for being pretentious, I guess that depends on how you look at it. Personally, I thought the same about End of Evangelion (you can't honestly have liked the live action scene...) but then, I still loved it.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The animation was serviceable, but the artwork saved the visual aspect of the series, IMO.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Singular Quartet wrote:Hmm... a semi-intelligent discussion of Anime...

For good anime, I'd personally suggest bopping around the various fansubbed anime providers, as they generally always have goood stuff (Scrapped Princess = Very good. Can't get GITS:SAC, since Bandai went around and had it pulled...)
It looks like some fansubbers have broken from their group and started subbing it on their own. 'Laughing Man Fansubs' has released episode 20 (and all of the groups' names are characters from GitS, and the style is very similiar to Ani-Kraze's earlier subs...).

I'm still making my way through Scrapped Princess (up to episode 15), and it keeps getting better. I'm surprised by how much I'm beginning to like it.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

It looks like some fansubbers have broken from their group and started subbing it on their own. 'Laughing Man Fansubs' has released episode 20 (and all of the groups' names are characters from GitS, and the style is very similiar to Ani-Kraze's earlier subs...).
I can't blame them, honestly. I know it violates fansubbing procedure, but there is no reason for Bandai to be so fucking stingy with their DVD releases.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I just wish someone would hurry the hell up and for the love of God please license Kodomo no Omocha already...

I mean, I know that it has such a small potential audience and its episode count would make it difficult to market, but Jesus this series is so wonderful.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I just wish someone would hurry the hell up and for the love of God please license Kodomo no Omocha already...

I mean, I know that it has such a small potential audience and its episode count would make it difficult to market, but Jesus this series is so wonderful.
I almost broke down and bought the Japanese DVD set for the Secondary School 'arc' of the series (the only one I could find available--the Primary School arc was sold out everywhere). It was a great deal--52 episodes for $200. Great deal here, obscenely great deal for the Japanese. Even without subtitles, it probably would've been a good purchase. If I see them at a con, though...I won't be able to resist.

I really can't believe it's not licensed yet. Everyone who sees it likes it, the manga's been pretty popular... I wonder if its owners are asking for large amounts of money for the license.

And finding decent fansubs for the series is difficult as it is.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Shadowhawk wrote: And finding decent fansubs for the series is difficult as it is.
I know! I am missing several episodes in the 20's and 30's, and I can't find a SINGLE episode after 40!

(Oh, and on the topic of Lain: The person who worked on the character and story designs for Lain has a new anime series just releases in the US, called "Haibane Renmei", and it is very good.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Shadowhawk wrote: And finding decent fansubs for the series is difficult as it is.
I know! I am missing several episodes in the 20's and 30's, and I can't find a SINGLE episode after 40!
I've got 1-32 or something, and episode 38. These are the only HQ versions that have been released. Finding anything at all above 39 is pretty much futile unless you're really well-connected and you don't mind 50 meg RMs or something.
(Oh, and on the topic of Lain: The person who worked on the character and story designs for Lain has a new anime series just releases in the US, called "Haibane Renmei", and it is very good.)
Yes, his name's Yoshitoshi ABe (he writes it with the B capitialized). He also did NieA_7, which has been out for a while now and is quite good. Haibane is excellent.
I'm gonna wind up spending a fortune on ABe artbooks.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS

Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

Furthermore, if you think that being counter-trend for the sake of being counter-trend makes you 133T, then you are just as bad as the sheep blindly following the herd.

I've been watching anime years before it went mainstream. I loved it then, and I'll continue to do so regardless of how popular it is with the "cool kids".
"Heaven is an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese apartment, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Anime? Trendy?

Try showing anime to your average Joe. Nine times out of ten people will dismiss it as Pokemon.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:

Luckily my local anime club has episodes 1-40 subtitled on VHS, and I showed them at my dorm last Spring. I think that the problem was that episodes past 40 could only be found in Realplayer formats, so they didn't bother putting them on CD.

Oh, and though I didn't like Lain that much (despite being a Knight of the "Eastern" Calculus), I really loved Haibane Renmei.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

RedImperator wrote:
Just as an aside, the second Matrix movie had ZERO respect for the audience. "snip"
I don't if it bothered anyone else here, but the movie giving away it's own ending with the very first scene is very disrespectful. :x
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

As happens so effectively in Fight Club, you mean?
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Problem with Kodomo no Omocha is a lot of the the fansub groups refused to touch it because some Anime Elites saids the show sucks after epsiode 32, and the groups agree with the opinion.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Vendetta wrote:As happens so effectively in Fight Club, you mean?
I still haven't seen Fight Club so I'm a bit clueless to what happened in it other than Pitt's character is a figment of imagination(sp) in the mind of Norton's character.

What I mean with the 2nd matrix movie is there's only two possible outcomes with she lives or she dies and everything else is immaterial.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Thread SPLIT Reopened....

feel free to reply unless you are just here to flame....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

I grew up in azia, so I can't really relate your views of anime as it is stuff to be watched on TV and mangashops are dotted on the path to school. I guess it means something when you can watch stuff like kare kano 8) , V Gundam and such just by the wonders of remote control. (but I missed most of kor because of time slot...had to made up after coming to this horrid horrid country)

I don't like kodomo, because hayama is so ....NOT likable........ blah

*incidentially, it appears that kodomo has a ending song (at latter eps) that is the same as samuri deeper kyo!?*