Amber vs. Q

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Amber vs. Q

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

That's right the whole of the Amber/Choas factions vs.The Whole of the Q. Continiumm....

expecting ando to reply shortly.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hendrake
Padawan Learner

Post by Hendrake »

Frankly, I think the alliance is rather unlikely, however...

But, assuming it works, we don't even know how many Q are active in he continuum, nor their abilities. They can travel across adiacent Shadows (Q continuum-Trekverse), change shape and manipulate time somewhat.

Aberites can travel through (almost?) all of Shadow, but they do so slowly, locally change the laws of physics and flow of time, and are probably far stronger and more war versed then the Q (who was felled by a blow of Sisko) and have infinite resources on thier side. Also, some of them know a how to work "magic" and all of them can use the Pattern to resist effects of magic or similar. Lords of Chaos and some amberites can also strike people in other shadows.

My money is on the Amber-Chaos alliance if they have time to prepare, on the Q if they haven't since the Q can strike and use thir abilities far more quickly.

Of course, that is if the number of Qs is roughly equal to the number of Chaos Lords-Princes of Amber and if the Amber faction has no help from Ghostwheel, The Unicorn or the Serpent.
"It appears that our minds will never meet on this subject."
"If someone asks you why you're oppressing a world and you reply with a lot of poetic crap, no." - Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

1) The Q seem to change completely from wreiter to writer, from the point where they were demigods, able to reshape physical reality and forces at their command, to being whacked by a fist.

2) The Amberites are even worse. Originially, they were tough and skilled and smart, but weren't vastly more so than humans. A good car wreck could kill one. As time went on, authors kept upping the power level.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Smiling Bandit wrote:2) The Amberites are even worse. Originially, they were tough and skilled and smart, but weren't vastly more so than humans. A good car wreck could kill one. As time went on, authors kept upping the power level.
Bullshit. Care post any proof at all of the existence of this supposed "upping [..] power level" of the "authors"?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Yosemite Bear

Especially no one has written anything since Zealezney died....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Actually the first of the Amber prequels is out - called "Dawn of Amber". Kind of interesting, but it grates somewhat with the accepted history.

Anyhow. Q would seem to be just another young Amberite, out to fuck around with Shadow dwellers.

The entirity of Amber and Chaos will EASILY take down the Q continuum who's abilities seem to be stuck firmly in "parlour trick" mode.
The Yosemite Bear

Strange I haven't seen any...

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Strange I haven't seen any...
Same 'ere.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Prehaps he is refeering too the rpg? I haven't look at it thoughly myself maybe its upped the pl?
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

The RPG most certainly did up the power level. And too many people seem to take it as canon.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Smiling Bandit wrote:The RPG most certainly did up the power level. And too many people seem to take it as canon.
Ah. I see your point then.

Do we have any information re:canonicity of the Amber RPG?
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Smiling Bandit wrote:1)

2) The Amberites are even worse. Originially, they were tough and skilled and smart, but weren't vastly more so than humans. A good car wreck could kill one. As time went on, authors kept upping the power level.
Oh and if you're thinking of the car wreck I think you're thinking of Corwin survived that car weck and was compleatly healed two weeks later even after extensive injuries like both his legs broken. I can't think of any other car wecks you could be refeering to, though I've just starting reading the whole series thru and thru.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Oh and if you're thinking of the car wreck I think you're thinking of Corwin survived that car weck and was compleatly healed two weeks later even after extensive injuries like both his legs broken. I can't think of any other car wecks you could be refeering to, though I've just starting reading the whole series thru and thru.
That is indeed true, but the point is that Corwin could have died from that. He was seriously, if not fatally injured. yet the possibility was not oiut of the question. His healing powers are impressive, as is his physical toughness, but neither are absolute.

The RPG essentially states that mere mortal damage like that is not even worth considering. Every such character is automatically better than pretty much any mortal character ever born, ever, and prety much every Chaos being, ever, in every area.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Smiling Bandit wrote:

That is indeed true, but the point is that Corwin could have died from that. He was seriously, if not fatally injured. yet the possibility was not oiut of the question. His healing powers are impressive, as is his physical toughness, but neither are absolute.

The RPG essentially states that mere mortal damage like that is not even worth considering. Every such character is automatically better than pretty much any mortal character ever born, ever, and prety much every Chaos being, ever, in every area.
Well the rpg is wrong on the first part but Amberites are suppose to be better than all shadow humans, but it doesn't take them that far up the chain of superpowers either.

Hendrake
Padawan Learner

Post by Hendrake »

I don't think the RPG is canon. In some parts it contradicts the books.

Smiling Bandit: You are right, of course. Any one sniper or bad accident could get an Amberite. However, even in the books we see the Amberites are far better then any human in almost every area, especially combat (eg Bleys while fighting his way to Amber totalled more then a hundred shadowlings single-handedly) and, given time to prepare, they could draw enaugh troops from Shadow to defeat (almost?) any enemy.

Also, in the Merlin series (definitely canon) we see absurdly high power levels (eg, Ghostwheel, the Guardian of the Logrus, the Keep, etc.) so in the end I think you are understimating a bit the Amberites and more then a bit the Chaosians.

Just my two cents.
"It appears that our minds will never meet on this subject."
"If someone asks you why you're oppressing a world and you reply with a lot of poetic crap, no." - Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

In terms of skill and magic they are certainly much superior. Physically they have us outmatched, too. Just not like, say superheroes.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Smiling Bandit wrote:In terms of skill and magic they are certainly much superior. Physically they have us outmatched, too. Just not like, say superheroes.
So that's why Corwin and Random could lift a mercades? (and that's the 1st book).
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.