Jason's death (his first one)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shrykull
Jedi Master

Jason's death (his first one)

Post by Shrykull »

When I saw freddy vs Jason with the scene with the kids chasing Jason off the dock, I never knew he was deformed when he was living, and didn't his mother in part 1 say that he was swimming back to shore and had a cramp in his leg or something? And I think part 8 had him drowning, but he wasn't deformed then either, the only part that was true other than him drowning was like his mother said the counselors being irresponsible, that one banging the girl.
And how does a kid who died at 12 become this huge hulking monster of a person he is from part 3 on? At the end of the first one when he comes out of the lake he is a 12 year old kid. He looks at least 20 in the other films.
And one last thing, what are the movies where he's without his mask, I know in part 7 he is (when the telekinesis girl coils a rope around his neck and hoists him up) Part 8, he looks at some street thug kids and puts his mask up to freak them out and get rid of them, part 8 before he gets dissolved in toxic waste, there's one I want to see I heard of in part 3 or 4 where he takes it off and looks in the mirror.

And as far as I know he never said anything in any of the movies.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

They're slasher movies. Of course they contradict each other.

That said, that hasn't stopped me form theorizing.

Even before the line from Mrs.Voorhees in F vs J about how she gave Jason his power, I always imagined that Mrs. Voorhees dabbled in the occult after Jason drowned (as is said in part 2, his body was never found). She brought him back to life, but he stayed at the bottom of the lake. When she was killed in part 1, that made him come out. He attacked the girl, and later, as he came out, all the years caught up with him and he grew into a huge full grown man. Remember, he was a kid when he attacked the girl at the end of part 1, and in part 2, when he actually killed her, he was a full grown man, despite it only being a few months later.

I think he was always intended to be deformed. I have seen many pictures form part 1 that are closeups of the young actor playing Jason in the drowning scene, and he had extensive prosthetics. It was kind of stupid how this was never touched on; but that's my theory, which was cemented by the mock book of the Dead seen inside the Voorhees house in Jason Goes to Hell. It was probably a joke, but it made the theory possible.
BotM Cybertronian
Seele
Padawan Learner

Re: Jason's death (his first one)

Post by Seele »

Shrykull wrote:When I saw freddy vs Jason with the scene with the kids chasing Jason off the dock, I never knew he was deformed when he was living, and didn't his mother in part 1 say that he was swimming back to shore and had a cramp in his leg or something? And I think part 8 had him drowning, but he wasn't deformed then either, the only part that was true other than him drowning was like his mother said the counselors being irresponsible, that one banging the girl.
And how does a kid who died at 12 become this huge hulking monster of a person he is from part 3 on? At the end of the first one when he comes out of the lake he is a 12 year old kid. He looks at least 20 in the other films.
And one last thing, what are the movies where he's without his mask, I know in part 7 he is (when the telekinesis girl coils a rope around his neck and hoists him up) Part 8, he looks at some street thug kids and puts his mask up to freak them out and get rid of them, part 8 before he gets dissolved in toxic waste, there's one I want to see I heard of in part 3 or 4 where he takes it off and looks in the mirror.

Well you gotta remember that Freddy was controlling Jason's dream in FvJ so the events that happend could have been exaggeration of some of the bad experiences that young Jason encountered at the camp. The mother's story could have been the real story.

The part where young Jason popped out of the water at the end was nothing more than a dream of the survivor of part 1. The early parts heavily implied that Jason didn't drown but lived in the forest as a wild child till his adult years when he finally saw his mother get her head chopped off. Then he started killing everyone that violated his woods. In part 2 he had a burlap sack over his head and he didn't pick up the trademark Hockey mask till part 3. At no point he ever takes off the mask and looks into a mirror nor speak a line other than that the rediculous line at the end of part 8.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Right, Freddy controlling his dream was not necessarily what happened. The kids were teasing him, but not killing him at the time...
T-1000
Padawan Learner

Post by T-1000 »

1. They made mention in 2 to the fact that Jason Voorhees was deformed when he was alive.

2. In the original movie, Mrs. Voorhees never said anything about Jason getting a cramp. He just wasn't a good swimmer and fell in the water and drowned. As it stands, the events depicted in FvJ are not contradicted in any way by any of the previous movies.

3. That wasn't Mrs. Voorhees in the begining of FvJ so who cares what she had to say regarding Jason's apparent immortality. All that she said to Jason was : "Do you know what your gift is? No matter what they do to you, you can not die, you can never die Jason. You've just been sleeping."

As a rule, this quote only establishes what we have known for a long time, Jason won't die. It never says anything about Jason being ressurected by his mother's dealing in the occult or anything like that. In fact, in Friday the 13th part 2, we see that Jason survived drowning at Crystal Lake and had since been living in the woods, becoming more and more deranged.
Look not to the hands of God for the keys to your salvation, but to your own hands. And if they are not there, search your pockets, or the kitchen table. Think. Where did you leave them last?
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Right, Jason may not have died in the first movie. He may have just been hanging out in the woods and growing up.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Re: Jason's death (his first one)

Post by Shrykull »

Seele wrote:
Shrykull wrote:When I saw freddy vs Jason with the scene with the kids chasing Jason off the dock, I never knew he was deformed when he was living, and didn't his mother in part 1 say that he was swimming back to shore and had a cramp in his leg or something? And I think part 8 had him drowning, but he wasn't deformed then either, the only part that was true other than him drowning was like his mother said the counselors being irresponsible, that one banging the girl.

Well you gotta remember that Freddy was controlling Jason's dream in FvJ so the events that happend could have been exaggeration of some of the bad experiences that young Jason encountered at the camp. The mother's story could have been the real story.

The part where young Jason popped out of the water at the end was nothing more than a dream of the survivor of part 1. The early parts heavily implied that Jason didn't drown but lived in the forest as a wild child till his adult years when he finally saw his mother get her head chopped off. Then he started killing everyone that violated his woods. In part 2 he had a burlap sack over his head and he didn't pick up the trademark Hockey mask till part 3.

At no point he ever takes off the mask and looks into a mirror nor speak a line other than that the rediculous line at the end of part 8.
Didn't he say "don't let me drown mom" at the end of part 8, which is a flashback to him drowning when he originally died, if he did.
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

Jason was deformed from birth and was mentally retarded--thats why the children always picked on him. When he comes out of the lake at the end of the first one, even though he doesnt have extensive makeup, he still is very clearly disfigured in some sort of way. The story was always that Jason couldnt swim and that the camp councellors were too busy making out to notice that he was drowing--i think the only liberty FvJ takes is that it shows the children actually pushing him in and drowning him, but then even this doesnt directly contradict what was said in the prior films.
I'll swallow your soul!
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

zombie84 wrote:Jason was deformed from birth and was mentally retarded--
retarded, where'd you get that from? Ok so maybe he was deformed, I never heard that, Heh, a zombie retard who can't be killed?
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

its in there somewhere. Thats why Jason is inexplicitly slow-witted and child-like; consider the scene at the end of part 2 where he hallucinates that the girl is his mother--he confusingly reaches out to his mother the way a lost child would. Its also the reason why he kept his mothers decapitated head in his shack--yes, he was psychotic, but more than that, he was a confused, mentally unstable back-woodsman, who was like a child deep down. The character of Jason is actually very tragic. The second film presents him very humanly--he isnt a psycho killer from beyond the grave, he's a mentally challenged bushman who became murderously unstable at the sight of his mother being decapitated. I love that little tin shack he has that he assembled of scrap metal--it has a little Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe to it.
I'll swallow your soul!
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

zombie84 wrote:Jason was deformed from birth and was mentally retarded--thats why the children always picked on him. When he comes out of the lake at the end of the first one, even though he doesnt have extensive makeup, he still is very clearly disfigured in some sort of way. The story was always that Jason couldnt swim and that the camp councellors were too busy making out to notice that he was drowing--i think the only liberty FvJ takes is that it shows the children actually pushing him in and drowning him, but then even this doesnt directly contradict what was said in the prior films.
Well, mind you that is a dream sequence. It's probably how he imagines it.