Steampunk World vs. Magic World

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steampunk Vs. Magic.

Steampunk
60%
Magic
40%

Total votes: 10

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

SirNitram wrote:
If it's a world with Spelljamming, they'll never get to the ground. Fear the Galleon that flies at 10% cee while cruising! :D
Maybe.. How much do you know about the Aetherships from Space: 1889? They strike me as being at least as durable as anything put out in Spelljammer--and, remember, since there's no theory of relativity related to the Aether Theory, there's also no upper speed limit for the universe.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
If it's a world with Spelljamming, they'll never get to the ground. Fear the Galleon that flies at 10% cee while cruising! :D
Maybe.. How much do you know about the Aetherships from Space: 1889? They strike me as being at least as durable as anything put out in Spelljammer--and, remember, since there's no theory of relativity related to the Aether Theory, there's also no upper speed limit for the universe.
There flat out isn't a law of relativity in Spelljammer("The laws of Einstein, Newton, and their colleagues don't apply here.. Instead, the laws of Elminster, Mordekain, and their contemporaries rule."), so one derives speed estimates from how fast they get around. Spelljammers are sluggish leaving system(Since they must pass farther out than the last planet-sized body), but they can do trans-galactic travel in as few as 10 days.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Space: 1889. Can you offer some examples? It sounds like it might be very interesting.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

SirNitram wrote: There flat out isn't a law of relativity in Spelljammer("The laws of Einstein, Newton, and their colleagues don't apply here.. Instead, the laws of Elminster, Mordekain, and their contemporaries rule."), so one derives speed estimates from how fast they get around. Spelljammers are sluggish leaving system(Since they must pass farther out than the last planet-sized body), but they can do trans-galactic travel in as few as 10 days.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Space: 1889. Can you offer some examples? It sounds like it might be very interesting.
Basically, in the 1850s, an "Ether Propellor" was invented which allowed ships to travel in the Ether, and an expedition was launched to Mars by the inventor. There they discovered the planet to be habitable and inhabited by a species which used canals to coax the dwindling water out of the planet--though they were hampered by their low technology and static, autocratic civilization. The Ether Propellor as an invention was quickly copied by the Great Powers, and a colonization race in Space began.

Before long, Mars has colonies on it from all the major powers, with Britain naturally getting the largest chunk. The mysterious insectoid creatures of the Moon are driven underground, and of course the amphibian savages of Venus are pushed back into their swamps, or reduced to veritable slavery, by the Kaiser's armies. There's no better fun than Imperialism! Humanity rushes forward, refining the Ether Propellor and using the Floatwood of Mars to improve the designs of Aetherships. After not very long, explorers have penetrated as far as the asteroid belt in the continuing effort to refine the capabilities of the Aethership, while of course the colonial competition and scheming for interplanetary resources continues.

All sorts of interesting things are seen, from dirigables to floatwood gunboats on Mars to land-battleships (giant tanks) and in the stars, both ironclad floatships and dirigables can be used, with an ether propellor, for space transport; or floatships if merchant. IIRC an outright standard battleship could be built without the use of floatwood, but it would have to be assembled in orbit.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Sounds interesting; a little like Spelljammer here and there. I'll have to look it up.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Ah, excuse me:

Space: 1889 Timeline

The first experimentation with an Aether Propellor was in 1868, by Thomas Alva Edison.

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Ah, excuse me:

Space: 1889 Timeline

The first experimentation with an Aether Propellor was in 1868, by Thomas Alva Edison.
Coolness. :P
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

::mutters darkly about the Lanchester Equations::