GAiNAX's Big Evangelion Announcement...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

GAiNAX's Big Evangelion Announcement...

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

GAiNAX just revealed what the second half of the Evangelion Renewal Project is: A PlayStation 2 videogame tenatively titled Shin Seiki Evangelion 2.

Here's the info from Natsumemaya, which I followed from ANN:
Evangelion 2. It's been officially announced by GAiNAX that the second half of the Eva Renewal Project is Shin Seiki Evangelion 2 (tentative title), a DVD game for the Playstation 2. To be released in November 2003. To be supervised by Anno Hideaki, produced by Alpha System and marketed through Bandai. Some kind of "Evangelion world simulator". That's it? That's the big announcement?! Ho-hum.

Still, some people may be interested in the game. gameonline.jp reports that the display will be a mix of 2D scenes and 3D scenes (eg for movement, battle scenes). You start off playing Shinji but as the game progresses can also control Rei and Asuka. Work on the game is said to be 50% completed. Source: ultimatum half edition. Judging by the photos in Famitsu, looks like the game will be a retelling of the Evangelion story.
Let's just say that I for one am very releaved to hear the true nature of the announcement. For a time I was getting pretty worried... :|
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm confused. What is the first half of this "Renewal" project? Rerelease of the series or something?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

-_-

Eva has been dead in Japan for years. Unless they're taking advantage of some sudden jump in interest that I never knew of, they're risking cash over a dead franchise.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Dalton wrote:I'm confused. What is the first half of this "Renewal" project? Rerelease of the series or something?
The first half was the restoration, rebroadcast, and rerelease of the television series.

Hamel: What makes you say that Eva is dead? From merchandice alone, I'd say that interest in Eva in Japan is still quite active...

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Who cares if it has been dead, anyway...DBZ is still alive and kicking in Japan and has been for years, but that doesn't change the fact that it's crap.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

And there's the fact that some series are still popular even 20-30 years after they first aired. Just because a series completes its broadcast run doesn't mean that fan interest suddenly disappears.

I mean, Eva isn't refered to the "second Gundam" for nothing...

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

As to this game... will I be able to alter the series history? For example, as Shinji or Asuka, choose what to do with that first kiss, etc. etc. It would pretty well suck if it was too railed, but it would also be no good if it was too free. Ah well.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:As to this game... will I be able to alter the series history? For example, as Shinji or Asuka, choose what to do with that first kiss, etc. etc. It would pretty well suck if it was too railed, but it would also be no good if it was too free. Ah well.
Probably not...the events of the first Eva game, as I recall, took place outside of official continuity. My guess is it'll be a parallel universe type retelling (something the Japanese are quite fond of).

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

You refering to Girlfriend of Steel, Durran?

There were quite a few Eva games made, and while Girlfriend of Steel and its sequal have their own individual continuities, but others followed the series closer.

It sounds like this won't be something like GoS or Raise Ayanami (IIRC, that's what it's called), but something that will pretty much follow the progression of the series.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

You refering to Girlfriend of Steel, Durran?
Yeah, that's the one...

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

What's the difference between a DVD game and a regular PS2 game?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Don't know, but considering that virtually all PS2 games are DVDs, maybe it's just a quirky translation...

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Don't know, but considering that virtually all PS2 games are DVDs, maybe it's just a quirky translation...
Could be that it's a game and a DVD. You know, with actual shows and crap on it. Wasn't .hack//Infection sorta like that?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'd hold off speculation until there's more information. For one I still think it might just be a mess up or a personal vocab quirk.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Dalton wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Don't know, but considering that virtually all PS2 games are DVDs, maybe it's just a quirky translation...
Could be that it's a game and a DVD. You know, with actual shows and crap on it. Wasn't .hack//Infection sorta like that?
Yeah, had an OVA (LIMINALITY or something like that) packaged with it.

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Spanky, you and Utsano really missed out by not going to Animeiowa... otherwise you could have seen "Evangelion Redeath", the funniest damn NGE parody EVER.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

IIRC, wasn't this new game supposed to be set in the GoS2 continuity, to run parallel to the new GoS2 manga series?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Spanky, you and Utsano really missed out by not going to Animeiowa... otherwise you could have seen "Evangelion Redeath", the funniest damn NGE parody EVER.
Is that the NGE/SW crossover one? With Anakin masturbating over Amidala's dead body, and a giant Yoda head devouring Coruscant?
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

3rd Impact wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Spanky, you and Utsano really missed out by not going to Animeiowa... otherwise you could have seen "Evangelion Redeath", the funniest damn NGE parody EVER.
Is that the NGE/SW crossover one? With Anakin masturbating over Amidala's dead body, and a giant Yoda head devouring Coruscant?
:wtf: ...seriously what the fuck?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Ghost Rider wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
:wtf: ...seriously what the fuck?
Eh, I remember someone mentioning it a while back.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

It was from Animerica's review. The mentioned it to describe how totally off the wall EoE was.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Mmm... Maya Natsumi. Heh, guess nobody got that reference...

Anyways, a friend of mines dug up the original magazine article about it...

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Look at wtf they did to Eva Unit-01! They Gundamized it! NOO!!!

Thar be fixed.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Some mod please fix the links...

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Thanks for the pics, Ex.

Hmm, I wouldn't say they "Gundam-ised" EVA-01, per se. It looks familiar to some of the early production art of the Evangelions themselves, which were initially more built up and bulky.

Damn, now I'm actually hoping that they might release this in the US eventually...

Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

An idea about the armored up Eva-01. Could it possibly be a "game-universe" exclusive armor module? As I recall, the Eva's armor could be interchanged with different modules for certain situations. Like the one where Unit-02 had to get the lava-based Angel, etc...