Freddy vs. Jason

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Freddy vs. Jason

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I've checked and double-checked to make sure there are no topics on this, so what are your thoughts? If you're expecting Shakespeare or the insight into human nature on the level of Tennessee Williams, then you should know better than to walk into F. vs. J. If you like gore, Robert Englund, bad-ass fights, and more titties than you can shake a penis at, than you'll have a great time.
BotM Cybertronian
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

possible spoilers alert

Post by Death from the Sea »

I went to see it with no expectaions except I wanted a clear winner. I won't say what happens, but it was a fun flick and the fights were pretty gruesome.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I loved it. This movie kicked some serious ass. Great from start to finish. Here are my observations on the characters:

Freddy: This is Freddy's best incarnation ever to grace the screen. He has never looked, acted, or sounded better. My only complaint is that he only killed ONE person, but it really didn't detract from the movie at all. Freddy was bad ASS. Englund did an outstanding job!

Jason: Jason really didn't change much. He's the same killing machine that he's always been. The only real difference is that he had a patch of long hair coming off the side of his head. Jason kicked some serious ass, he killed at least nine or ten people (probably more).

SEE THIS MOVIE (if you haven't, of course)! I saw it twice!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Unlike Jason, Freddy Krueger has always been into quality, not quantity, when it comes to mass-murder. :twisted:
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Seele
Padawan Learner

Post by Seele »

Yeah Freddy only killed one person and he was extreaming pissed off because Jason kept "stealing his kills". And all i'm going to say about the ending is that whoever walks away on his own power wins the fight.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Patrick Degan wrote:Unlike Jason, Freddy Krueger has always been into quality, not quantity, when it comes to mass-murder. :twisted:
Not to mention far more hilarious about it. :D
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I went to the movie thinking it was going to suck ass, and I was greatly surprised. It wasn't nearly as bad as it made itself out to be. Freddy gets one kill, and let me think Jason kills 1 1 2 1 2 7-9 1 1 1 1, about 18-21 people, he does something out of character by attacking a large group of people at once. This movie has the most gore and nudity I've seen in a very long time(me and my friends counted 9 boobs).
Something that could be taken as a spoiler scroll down.

I don't like how well Freddy stood up to Jason in the real world. I haven't seen a Freddy movie in a long time, but IIRC he's not any stonger than a human in the real world, and although Jason was dominating the battle, Freddy was doing too good for a while.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Seele wrote:Yeah Freddy only killed one person and he was extreaming pissed off because Jason kept "stealing his kills".
OMFG c@mp3r f@g0t
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

anarchistbunny wrote:

I don't like how well Freddy stood up to Jason in the real world. I haven't seen a Freddy movie in a long time, but IIRC he's not any stonger than a human in the real world, and although Jason was dominating the battle, Freddy was doing too good for a while.
Well Freddy's latest incarnation does seem a bit more durable than a human but not all that much. His main defense against Jason was being fast enough to dodge most of Jason's swings (though the ones that did land looked like they hurt.. a lot) and a lot of his offense seemed to come from the various objects he was using to hit him.. most of the slashing did precisely dick to slow Jason down, but his little 'torpedo' seemed to at least be felt.
Superman

Post by Superman »

Anarchist, Freddy does have super "powers" in the real world. On the third Elm Street movie he was able to animate his skeletal remains. He killed the main character's father and knocked out Dr. Gordon. Watch it again. He clearly demonstrates supernatural strength. Also, watch "Freddy's Dead." He is able to scale walls and stick to ceilings like Spiderman. So YES, FREDDY DOES HAVE LIMITED POWERS IN THE REAL WORLD.

This movie kept within the bounds of continuity.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

anarchistbunny wrote:(me and my friends counted 9 boobs)
was that 9 total, or 9 pair?
Anarchist Bunny

Superman wrote:Anarchist, Freddy does have super "powers" in the real world. On the third Elm Street movie he was able to animate his skeletal remains. He killed the main character's father and knocked out Dr. Gordon. Watch it again. He clearly demonstrates supernatural strength. Also, watch "Freddy's Dead." He is able to scale walls and stick to ceilings like Spiderman. So YES, FREDDY DOES HAVE LIMITED POWERS IN THE REAL WORLD.

This movie kept within the bounds of continuity.
I wrote: I haven't seen a Freddy movie in a long time, but IIRC he's not any stonger than a human in the real world
Long time == 4-5 years. And the last time i saw one was #1.
Sam Or I wrote:was that 9 total, or 9 pair?
9 total.
Wiilite
Superman

Post by Superman »

anarchist, gotcha' :wink:

Anyway, how about this: This movie has been open since Friday (today is Sunday) and it's already taken in over 40 million. This is the first time either of these two horror icons have placed first for movie sales. GO FREDDY AND JASON!
Anarchist Bunny

Superman wrote:anarchist, gotcha' :wink:

Anyway, how about this: This movie has been open since Friday (today is Sunday) and it's already taken in over 40 million. This is the first time either of these two horror icons have placed first for movie sales. GO FREDDY AND JASON!
Holy shit, thats 10x From Justin to Kelly's opening. Who cares about mass produced Pop Icons, america clearly wants tities and gore. TITTIES AND GORE!
Wiilite
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

I just got back from seeing it, and I will say I was impressed. I'm more a fan of Freddy than Jason, so I was a little disappointed by the ending but at least there was a sequel setup.
My personal idea for a horror icon fight would have been Jason v. Mike Myers (of Halloween fame, mind you) or Freddy v. Pinhead.
150th post made June 9, 2003
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Debater classification: Lurker
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

Freddy got two kills, remember the girl at the beginning?

Plus I'/m willing to give him credit for the ones he almost killed. 1. because he didn't have enough power, 2. because he would have done it if Jason hadn't got involved, and there was that one he pointed Jason out to, since he clearly enjoyed that,
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

saw the film Friday and it fucking kicked ass beyond any expectations i could have possibly had! Freddy was fucking evil and Jason got to fucking kick ass like never before! the effects were great, the script great and the action scenes were unbelievable--it had a great pace, it was never dull or boring, a problem the original films frequently suffered from. It could have been easily fucked up, like Jason X, but this had the spirit and atmosphere of the classic 80's films, and i dare say that this is the best entry into either franchise. Lots of tits and buckets of gore. This movie would never have made final cut in the 80's, its amazing how much they can get away with nowadays.

so yeah i guess you could say i liked it.

And IMO Jason won. how bout the rest of you? i know the filmmakers were kinda growing for a draw but it seems to me that jason was still the victor. One thing i thought was interesting was that Jason kinda became the hero--with Freddy the central villain, Jason is on the same side as the teens and that flashback scene makes the audience sympathetic with his character. and its fucking HUGE box office take shows that people still love this shit--maybe it will revitalize both franchises (Freddy was thankfully re-invented to be more like his original self--scary and intimidating but still a funny wiseass; the last 3 films in that series were pathetic, he fucking became a clown-like comedian, like a parody of the original vision of the character).
I'll swallow your soul!
Superman

Post by Superman »

To me, it only made Jason the hero for about .0001 seconds. If Jason had the strength, he would have gone on to cut the remaining two into pieces. After he he got Freddy, he fell into the water because he was weakened. He may have inadvertantly saved them, but he is no good guy.
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

Superman wrote:To me, it only made Jason the hero for about .0001 seconds. If Jason had the strength, he would have gone on to cut the remaining two into pieces. After he he got Freddy, he fell into the water because he was weakened. He may have inadvertantly saved them, but he is no good guy.
Well, Laurie did save him in the dream world, so it is slightly possible that he would have gone on to let them live. Not bloody likely, but possible.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

#1 - The "finishing" blow on Freddy was struck by the blonde chick, not by Jason.

#2 - Jason spent the last of his strength scoring the previous hit and sank like a stone.

#3 - If picking up Freddy's head after someone else chopped it off is all it takes to score a win, then I could bloody well "beat" Freddy.

#4 - Jason apparently recovered at some point after the battle, but it's not as if Freddy was destroyed. He winked.

#5 - In the dreamworld, there was no fight. Freddy was just beating Jason's ass from pillar to post.

#6 - For the longest time, Freddy was winning the waking-world battle handily. He intelligently used improvised weapons to do all sorts of damage to Jason, and did far better at hand-to-hand combat than I expected.

#7 - Without those meddling teens, Jason would have been doomed.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:#1 - The "finishing" blow on Freddy was struck by the blonde chick, not by Jason.

#2 - Jason spent the last of his strength scoring the previous hit and sank like a stone.

#3 - If picking up Freddy's head after someone else chopped it off is all it takes to score a win, then I could bloody well "beat" Freddy.

#4 - Jason apparently recovered at some point after the battle, but it's not as if Freddy was destroyed. He winked.

#5 - In the dreamworld, there was no fight. Freddy was just beating Jason's ass from pillar to post.

#6 - For the longest time, Freddy was winning the waking-world battle handily. He intelligently used improvised weapons to do all sorts of damage to Jason, and did far better at hand-to-hand combat than I expected.

Duh. You saw Jason's hand losing control and slipping out of Freddy's body right before the gas explosion, right?
Superman

Post by Superman »

Also, the blonde didn't save Jason in the dream. She started to, realized who he was, and dropped him back into the lake. Freddy then attacked him. Jason was not paying back any favors.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:#1 - The "finishing" blow on Freddy was struck by the blonde chick, not by Jason.
Nope, servering his head was overkill, it clearly showed Freddy was fucked by the implament, it just would of been a slower "death" that way.
Yep, the killing blow.
True, but its really just a clear confirmnation of events.
Also true, I think one of the points of this movie is how compleatly indestuctible both of these badasses are. Jason can't be truly destroied and Freddy can come back as long as he has "fear energy" to grow strong on.
The dream fight clearly showed how even these two guys are. Freddy had absolutly no way of defeating Jason, even in his own world. All he could do was use his childhood fear to scare him till the tranq weared off. All the dream fight really did was pissing Jason off.
Honestly that was prob the most unbeivable part of the movie. But it was more enjoyable then what should of happen, so it was cool. And you say better if there was an actaul way of Freddy to beat Jason in the real world.
Nope, it clearly showed that all Freddy was doing was prolonging the inevitible for as long as he could. He had no way of actaully killing Jason, and he himself was feeling his few injures far worse then Jason ever did. Jason clearly finished him with the blow in the stomache, Freddy had no strenght left and was hepless.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Nope, servering his head was overkill, it clearly showed Freddy was fucked by the implament, it just would of been a slower "death" that way.
What do you mean "clearly?" Freddy took a hand inside the torso and the loss of an arm earlier in the fight without "dying", and the blow in question didn't even put him on the ground. All it caused him to do was drop the machete.
Yep, the killing blow.
The "killing blow" that failed to knock the target off it's feet? :roll:
True, but its really just a clear confirmnation of events.
It was essentially irrelevant. Jason sank, exiting the fight, with Freddy still standing. The fact that someone else then "finished" Freddy, and that Jason happened to find the head afterwards, is meaningless.
The dream fight clearly showed how even these two guys are. Freddy had absolutly no way of defeating Jason, even in his own world. All he could do was use his childhood fear to scare him till the tranq weared off. All the dream fight really did was pissing Jason off.
On the contrary. After dominating Jason and giving him the worst beating he's ever taken, Freddy switched tactics and used the biggest advantage he had in this matchup: Psychology. Jason was reduced to a whimpering child, offered no resistance at all, and appeared to be as close to true defeat as anyone came in this movie.
Honestly that was prob the most unbeivable part of the movie. But it was more enjoyable then what should of happen, so it was cool. And you say better if there was an actaul way of Freddy to beat Jason in the real world.
Freddy appeared to be working up a head of steam when that big cart full of earth happened to get stuck. Enough physical damage can apparently incapacitate Jason, since he doesn't get up instantly after taking a lot of huge hits, and SOMETHING has to put him down between movies.
Nope, it clearly showed that all Freddy was doing was prolonging the inevitible for as long as he could. He had no way of actaully killing Jason, and he himself was feeling his few injures far worse then Jason ever did. Jason clearly finished him with the blow in the stomache, Freddy had no strenght left and was hepless.
As pointed out above, Jason's hand appeared to be slipping out even before the gas explosion hit, indicating that he was getting near his "incapacitation limit" in terms of damage. Furthermore, Freddy was the first out of the water after the explosion, while Jason struck his last blow and sank. And that last hit, which you deem a "killing blow", didn't really do anything more than cause Freddy to lose his grip on the machete.

Freddy, however badly damaged, was on his feet when Jason exited the fight.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Superman

Post by Superman »

Oh Prawn, Freddy didn't Jason more than he's ever been. In "Jason Goes to Hell," he was blown to bits by a missle. In "Jason X" the Lisa Ryder robot shot him into pieces. Jason did not suffer more at the hands of Freddy than a few of his prior opponents.