Trigun vs Death Star

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Trigun vs Death Star

Post by Shinova »

2 scenarios:

1. Knives steps aboard the Death Star (one) finds a quiet corner and fires off his Angel Arm.

2. Knives is on a planet and spots the DS1 in the sky. He points his Angel Arm at it and fires.

Note that by Angel Arm I mean the city-destroying, moon-drilling, transformed Angel Arm.

What happens in each of these situations?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Re: Trigun vs Death Star

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Shinova wrote:2 scenarios:

1. Knives steps aboard the Death Star (one) finds a quiet corner and fires off his Angel Arm.

2. Knives is on a planet and spots the DS1 in the sky. He points his Angel Arm at it and fires.

Note that by Angel Arm I mean the city-destroying, moon-drilling, transformed Angel Arm.

What happens in each of these situations?
Nothing much. The Angel arm did a fair bit of damage to the moon. The DS can part itself within a couple astronomical units of a planet, blow it all to shit, and laugh at the unfathomable (at least for me, someone has probably quantified it) energies and masses stiking it in the wake of the detonation.

If he fired it from inside the station, it would probably do an assload of damage to internal partitions, but the damage would be not be fatal unless he directly struck the apparently explosion prone reactor.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

It was said that the weapons were capable of destroying the entire planet. It was also said at different times that they were being used at low power and efficiency.

Unless they were lying or exaggerating (and there is no reason to assume they were at those times) I believe that at full power they could destroy the DS.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Seggybop wrote:It was said that the weapons were capable of destroying the entire planet. It was also said at different times that they were being used at low power and efficiency.

Unless they were lying or exaggerating (and there is no reason to assume they were at those times) I believe that at full power they could destroy the DS.
IIRC, in episode 26 when Knives fired the Angel Arm for the very first time, he rated the output at something like 13% efficiency I believe.
What's her bust size!?

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Yup, that's as best as he could do.

Poor, poor plant that knives boy is.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

The DS shouldn't be able to withstand a a beam of that power, so it's gone.

If he attempts 2 he's dead, though. He can't survive that blast and he'd suffocate in space if he wasn't blown up anyway.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Seggybop wrote:It was said that the weapons were capable of destroying the entire planet. It was also said at different times that they were being used at low power and efficiency.

And at full power, the recoil of a planet-killing discharge would kill Vash or Knives, were it really capable of destroying a planet (at least by DET).

(and yes, I am ware that Legato has TK, and that Vash and knives probably do too. But if that were the case, the frickin guns they carry and use more often would be utterly POINTLESS. A fraction of the TK force they carry imparted to a .45 bullet could conceivablty give it the directed yield of a nuclear bomb. Hell, Knives wouldn't have even NEEDED the Angel Arm to kill all the humans or destroy the planet - he could have wiped them all out from a distance simply by destroying the colony ships.)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Shinova wrote:

IIRC, in episode 26 when Knives fired the Angel Arm for the very first time, he rated the output at something like 13% efficiency I believe.
The first time he made Vash use it was in teh City of July wasn't it? If that was only 13% of the total output, then he should have wiped out all life on the planet the moment it fired. At best, the energy output was maybe equivalent to a low-megaton range nuke (possibly even kiloton)
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Connor MacLeod wrote:The first time he made Vash use it was in teh City of July wasn't it? If that was only 13% of the total output, then he should have wiped out all life on the planet the moment it fired. At best, the energy output was maybe equivalent to a low-megaton range nuke (possibly even kiloton)
The 13% output was when Knives blew up a whole lot of dirt in episode 26, during that flashback.

The first time Vash used it was about 90 or so years later.
What's her bust size!?

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Shinova wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:The first time he made Vash use it was in teh City of July wasn't it? If that was only 13% of the total output, then he should have wiped out all life on the planet the moment it fired. At best, the energy output was maybe equivalent to a low-megaton range nuke (possibly even kiloton)
The 13% output was when Knives blew up a whole lot of dirt in episode 26, during that flashback.

The first time Vash used it was about 90 or so years later.
Its still sub Planet-shattering/planet killing. You can't dump taht much raw energy into an enviroment, especially all at once like that, and not see some pretty terminal side effects.

The whole notion the Angel Arm possesses planet-shattering firepower is ludicrous, not j ust from the notion of recoil, but also from the implied abilities such a level of power requires. The fact we've not seen anything even remotely of that magnitude suggests it is in fact just an exaggeration. (This is not to say that the Angel Arm has insignificant firepower neccesarily, but my definition of "significant" probably will differ from what others will think.)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I believe in the quote where he talked about it after visting the orbiting plants and said it was only working at 13% efficiency he stated that the blasts were in the megaton range.

Note that is 13% of the power of Vash or Knives (They are both "Plants")

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Knives also said 13% efficiency is the best he can do.

*smacks the fanboys* The blasts you get are all it's capable of. To disable the DS with it requires a shot against the reactor or one of the fragile power systems.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

You should have Vash against the Death Star. Then you can have 60 trillion Stormtroopers chase him all over the place. In the end, it all blows to hell, but no one gets hurt.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Crossover_Maniac
Padawan Learner

Post by Crossover_Maniac »

He blew a hole in the fifth moon, which would be a couple of kilometers in diameter at the bare minimun. Meaning that he vaped a few cubic kilometers of solid rock. That's gives that shot a lower limit in the gigaton range.
"Nietzche is dead"-God
Crossover_Maniac
Padawan Learner

Post by Crossover_Maniac »

As for the winner of this fight, I go with the Death Star since it can destroy planets while Vash's Angel Arm can only destroy a moon (and I do believe the Death Star should be able to withstand a blast from the Angel Arm).
"Nietzche is dead"-God
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

As for the winner of this fight, I go with the Death Star since it can destroy planets while Vash's Angel Arm can only destroy a moon (and I do believe the Death Star should be able to withstand a blast from the Angel Arm).
I don't think Vash could destroy the Moon, at least not without many shots.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!