Idea for a television show (steal it and I'll kill you.)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Idea for a television show (steal it and I'll kill you.)

Post by Baron Mordo »

Okay, the idea's about a trader caravan that travels throughout a swords-and-sorcery fantasy world. The people attached to the caravan are mostly desperadoes and reprobates in search of adventure/honest living. During the show, the characters will encounter hostility and conflict, within and without, since they have to travel through untamed lands and make a profit.

Sometimes there will be detours to stop a roving gang of orcs or annihilate an evil sorcerer. I want to take the "Band of Brothers" approach to this, so some of these encounters will end in injury, defeat or even death. That also means some characters might leave or be otherwise replaced. People will come and go, people will change.

Any thoughts?
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,
Kodos, Governor of Tarsus 4.

The Justice League
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

So long as the ship has a mage... more power to you
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

It's going to be a cluster of wagons, but yeah, there will probably be a mage or two.
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,

The Justice League
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

You might get idiots asking you to "bring back" various characters, What is your plan on dealing with them?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Isn't that basically Xena and Hercules with all the reoccuring characters in weekly episode roles?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Baron Mordo wrote:It's going to be a cluster of wagons, but yeah, there will probably be a mage or two.
I think of Caravan in a fantasy world as a maritime caravan...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Majin Gojira wrote:You might get idiots asking you to "bring back" various characters, What is your plan on dealing with them?
Unless you have full control (you won't) then you can't. At some point people will request that 'Dave the Barb' be brought back "because it can happen, with magic you can do anything". Then the execs will 'suggest' it since "It happened in Xena, Hercules and Buffy, why can't it happen in this show, it's the same right?" and before you know it 'Dave' will be back in some spectacular 2 parter.

If, by some miracle you have full control then make it plain right at the start that dead is dead is dead.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Hm....Firefly with swords and magic then?
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

It'll be somewhat difficult to explain why a caravan sometimes detours to attack evil sorcerers, but it could work.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Master of Ossus wrote:It'll be somewhat difficult to explain why a caravan sometimes detours to attack evil sorcerers, but it could work.
Not neccesarily. Let's say they get a tip in a town that there's a powerful and malevolent wizard nearby. Wizards usually have lots of scrolls/magical books/steam-powered robots lying around. They defeat the bastard, save the town, and make off with the magic loot. Nice work if you can get it.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I think of Caravan in a fantasy world as a maritime caravan...
Yeah, there will be times when they need to take to the sea.
dworkin wrote:If, by some miracle you have full control then make it plain right at the start that dead is dead is dead.
I don't want to make a typical television show. If someone dies, they're dead. Magic won't be a cure-all problem-solver. It's going to have consequences. Sometimes dire ones. For example, one of the characters I want in the show will be a necromancer, tortured by the souls he's ruined. The three-fold law, you know.

Signed,

The Justice League