Discussion of D&D calcs.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

*claps*

Oh the awfulness..

Now what I had always done was take a stick of TNT(i bl ans does 3d6 damage) and used that as base... So that said lightning bolt would be approx 5 lbs of TNT... I was mistaken...

Every 90 hp being an isoton....hehehehehehe*chitters gleefully*
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:*claps*

Oh the awfulness..

Now what I had always done was take a stick of TNT(i bl ans does 3d6 damage) and used that as base... So that said lightning bolt would be approx 5 lbs of TNT... I was mistaken...

Every 90 hp being an isoton....hehehehehehe*chitters gleefully*
Keep in mind the method of the destruction caused works on this. 90HP of bludgeoning damage would be different; it would probably be Cratering on the calculator. This is why it's difficult and why I don't have better numbers.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

hmm...true.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Re: D&D Calculations/Notes

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote: Spelljamming Speed: For long range movement. Can only be obtained at decent range from a large body. Quoted at '100 million kilometers per day', or 1/4th of a Lightday per day by my math. 1/4th Cee for normal vessels, however, the Netherese spell Valdick's Spheresail doubles this speed, allowing a vessel to hit .5c in realspace.
Hmm light travels around 300,000 km per second. The ships travels around
1200 km/sec . This is about 0.004c. The fastest ships travel arounds 200 million
miles per day - around 0.01c
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote: The normal rock wall of a dungeon, in 10 x 10 cubes, is rated at about 90 HP. This is about the power unleashed by a 15th level Netherese spellcaster's Lightning Bolt.. A spell they can shit out in terrifying quantity. But that's tricky. Does the hit melt, crater, vaporize, or fragment?
HP damage is strange in DnD. A constellate planet busting attack
does 200,000 - 2,400,000 points of damage. One destroyed a
planet with a 9000 miles diameter.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Thunderfire wrote:
SirNitram wrote: The normal rock wall of a dungeon, in 10 x 10 cubes, is rated at about 90 HP. This is about the power unleashed by a 15th level Netherese spellcaster's Lightning Bolt.. A spell they can shit out in terrifying quantity. But that's tricky. Does the hit melt, crater, vaporize, or fragment?
HP damage is strange in DnD. A constellate planet busting attack
does 200,000 - 2,400,000 points of damage. One destroyed a
planet with a 9000 miles diameter.
whaaaarg? WTF is a Constellate? It sounds insane even compared to Alyrium's campaigns!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote:
whaaaarg? WTF is a Constellate? It sounds insane even compared to Alyrium's campaigns!
Spelljammer monster. The star constellations you see are actually
monsters in the SJ Campaign. There is also a rumor that the grinder
in greyspace was created by a planet destroyed by a constellate.
This planet would have a 500,000 miles diameter...
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Thunderfire wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Spelljammer monster. The star constellations you see are actually
monsters in the SJ Campaign. There is also a rumor that the grinder
in greyspace was created by a planet destroyed by a constellate.
This planet would have a 500,000 miles diameter...
What frightens me? The endurance of The Spelljammer is up at 1,000,000 HP.. Which means it's nearly as durable as a planet. Gonna have to run some calc's, methinks...

Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote:While I gaze in awe at SJ stuff.. Time for some Netherese notes.
SJ is strange. A DS2 size monster(600 miles diameter) has just
50 hit dice. 50 billion HD would make more sense.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Thunderfire wrote:
SirNitram wrote:While I gaze in awe at SJ stuff.. Time for some Netherese notes.
SJ is strange. A DS2 size monster(600 miles diameter) has just
50 hit dice. 50 billion HD would make more sense.
This is where game balance takes over from common sense - a 50 billion hit die monster is unkillable, by ANY number of players. 50 Hit Dice are pretty close to unkillable for anything up to an epic level character (level 21+), barring EXCEEDING luck.

A party of 4 15th level characters MIGHT be able to kill a 50HD monster. More likely, the monster will laugh off their attacks (especially if it has decent damage reduction) and slay them without mercy.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Bah! That's just bad writing. Instead of going to ridiculous lengths to make sure that a party of players can defeat a 600 km monster, they should have questioned whether a 600 km monster belonged in the game in the first place, and if so, whether it would better serve as a sort of plot device than an adversary.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Moved to G&C.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

David wrote:Moved to G&C.
I thought debate material stayed in Fantasy? That's what this was made for.

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Sorry for the mistake, I was going by the thread title. Thread moved back.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I would like to add, in addition to the magic vs. tech points Mike added, that in AD&D the spell "Protection from Normal missiles" completely shields a person from conventional bullets and even cannon balls.

If you have Bullets of Wounding +1, though... ;)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

What would the Spelljammer's "stinger" be like for power? It can disintegrate any object under 100 tons, and any object larger than 100 tons causes it to splinter into 2d6 Spheres of Annihilation, which then pass through the object's gravity plane. I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds like a potential planet-killer (passage straight from the crust to the core) if it weren't for the ship's morality.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

The Dark wrote:What would the Spelljammer's "stinger" be like for power? It can disintegrate any object under 100 tons, and any object larger than 100 tons causes it to splinter into 2d6 Spheres of Annihilation, which then pass through the object's gravity plane. I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds like a potential planet-killer (passage straight from the crust to the core) if it weren't for the ship's morality.
The only realistic way to treat such is to use a similar to NDF explanation: It simply does what it does, pass through material harmless. I didn't know she obliterated smaller ships, though, where was that?

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Since there's no $*%@ "Edit" button in this forum, accept my apology for the double post.

For ships in space, the gravity produced is oddly centered. As an apparent side effect of the Spelljammer Helm, gravity is produced in a plane, which travels through the longest 2-D plane on the ship (generally bow-to-stern, though one space-faring race has a very odd triple plane configuration). This means the ship has two surfaces which can be stood on: top and bottom, and that the deck with the plane travels through is floor on both sides. The race I mentioned before actually has six surfaces that can be stood on, and the gravity plane projects out from the longest 2-D plane at 120 degree angles, creating a ship with trilateral symmetry.

(Nitram, would you mind horribly if I work with my sources also to help you? I may have some items you don't, and vice-versa)
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

The Dark wrote: (Nitram, would you mind horribly if I work with my sources also to help you? I may have some items you don't, and vice-versa)
Go for it. The extra help is always good.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I can sympathize. I own the entire 2nd eddition spelljammer collection, but its in a box 300 miles away.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage