FLCL on Adult Swim

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Just some interesting facts:

The fat cat that Haruko talked to, Miyu Miyu, was voiced by none another than Hideaki Anno in the original Japanese track, according to the Director's Commentary. The Man, also known as David Lucas, voiced him in the dub. Just thought that was funny.

So much for the myth of the mean-spirited, arrogant Anno.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Dark Hellion wrote:While its deeper than some may give it credit, it ain't about sex that much.
Its mostly about maturity, and the fact that some people never grow up (Haruka) and that some (eyebrows) grow up too completely, that one must find a balance. This is what Naota does at the end.
It has a lot of symbolism, guitars, basebal, the brother in america, and while it deals with sex, it mostly deals with things like momimi's (sp?) lonelyness, and longing for a companion than with actuall hardcore fucking.
Actually, Amaro (Eyebrows) is the one who doesn't grow up. He's still a kid. He uses the eyebrows to try to make himself manly, but his childishness is exemplified by his preference for sweet foods (and, I'd assume, his dyed hair). His advances towards Kitsurubami are pretty childish, too.
Haruko is the force behind everyone's changes, and doesn't really seem to represent childishness or adulthood.

The anime really is just about maturity.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Durran Korr wrote: So much for the myth of the mean-spirited, arrogant Anno.
I don't see how playing a bit part in a show made by your own company is an indicator of someone's personality.

Now, walking out of a director's job right in the middle of a project is a bit mean-spirited and arrogant, I think.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Which one was that?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Which one was that?
Kare Kano.

The series supposedly goes downhill after he leaves, which is episode 16 or so.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

My poor mother. She just watched the last five episodes in a row. She had to stop scrunching her forehead up about halfway through because the muscles got tired.

I still need to show her Eva.
「かかっ―」
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

I totally love FLCL, the random fast paced wackyness is great to just watch with your brain turned off. Below the insanity are some deep messages, but they never make anything angsty/preachy.

I really liked the Lupin III gag in episode 5
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!