Taking down a dragon

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Crayz9000 wrote:Just wondering... would an Islamic terrorist with a nuclear bomb strapped to his chest be considered terminal indigestion if eaten?
Not if it's Red/Gold...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

SirNitram wrote:It's one thing to beat a dragon in a straight fight...

It's quite another to survive when one of them begins plotting with you in mind.
Indeed. If dragons start plotting your demise, it's about time to start thinking about a new occupation.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I wonder if Thief from 8-Bit Theatre could outwit a dragon. Probably can... given the stunt he pulled on Matoya.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Crayz9000 wrote:I wonder if Thief from 8-Bit Theatre could outwit a dragon. Probably can... given the stunt he pulled on Matoya.
Thief has the same character shields as Marissa Picard or Honor Harrington - anybody opposes him immediately becomes stupid.

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Iceberg wrote:I also wonder how dragons would react to MANPADs, RPGs, AMRs, shoulder-launched ATGMs, SAMs and the other assorted hazards that exist on the modern battlefield for large, well-armored and ugly targets...
Try SAMs, AGLs and choppers with HE rockets to frag the wings. Once it's on the ground bring in the tanks. A sabot to the head should sort most dragons.
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

I misreported this thread header to Betsy as "How do you take out a dragon?"

Her response was, "Any action movie with lots of explosives and a steakhouse with one of those 60-oz. steak deals."

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Iceberg wrote: Indeed. If dragons start plotting your demise, it's about time to start thinking about a new occupation.
Possible occupations include:-
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Charcoal Briquette
Lawn Fertilizer
And many other exciting oppertunities....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: With the introduction of Afghanistan: D20 we can probably precisely calculate that.
Unfortunately its probably only got Standards represented, though it should be that hard to figure out what a Talos stats would be

Standard Missile SM-2MR works for me. Or if you can pinpoint it on the ground while it's sleeping, TLAM-N (before 1995), TLAM or TACTOM.

But SM-2 doesn't have a nuclear option, why pick off targets individually when you can wipe out a squadron with a single shot? I'd use a SLAM or Have Nap to strike the dragon while sleeping, or better yet a couple BLU-109's to collapse the cave.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shortie wrote: Try SAMs, AGLs and choppers with HE rockets to frag the wings. Once it's on the ground bring in the tanks. A sabot to the head should sort most dragons.
I'd use multipul Starstreaks, the triple shaped charges should blow through the scales quite well.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Talos == teh lame. Use the "mobile" Nike Hercules launchers. Maybe even attempt to get a mobile SAM-varient of Spartan :twisted:
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Tsyroc wrote:
lance wrote:How you take down a dragon in 5 easy steps

1 Find out age and type of opposing dragon,
2 Get good or evil dragon most suited to fighting this type of dragon in the same age group.
3 Offer said dragon 50% of the other dragons horde.
4 When said dragon says 95 agree.
5 Attack! According to your new bosses well made plan.
I like the idea except for possibly being "allied" with an evil dragon. Somehow I think I am screwed after we kill the other dragon. :?
Get a dragon weaker than the one you're trying to take down. The weaker one dies, and the other one is gravely hurt, easy for pickings. Then proceed to loot both dragons.

Muwhawahaha, I'm devious.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

Exonerate wrote: Get a dragon weaker than the one you're trying to take down. The weaker one dies, and the other one is gravely hurt, easy for pickings. Then proceed to loot both dragons.

Muwhawahaha, I'm devious.
Or lay clues for another, more powerful group of adventurers that there's something great in the dragon's lair, and then mug them when they've finished and knackered. That way you get all their possessions as well as the horde.

IOW, make it someone else's problem.
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:Talos == teh lame. Use the "mobile" Nike Hercules launchers. Maybe even attempt to get a mobile SAM-varient of Spartan :twisted:
Emphasis on the quotation marks. I'll take a my thirty knot cruiser. And as for Spartan, maybe if you used some modification of the shuttles tracked transporter...

However my latest counter dragon plan is to upgrade Observation Island with an even more powerful radar and death ray the thing.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Call on something more badass then the dragon in question--Like Godzilla. :P
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I think Godzilla would lose to most Ancient Wyrms. Not only are they bigger and more powerful, they are also exceedingly intelligent. (Ancient Red Wyrms would be especially unconcerned, given their immunity to fire.)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Crayz9000 wrote:I think Godzilla would lose to most Ancient Wyrms. Not only are they bigger and more powerful, they are also exceedingly intelligent. (Ancient Red Wyrms would be especially unconcerned, given their immunity to fire.)
They top 100m tall? 150m long (taol standing including feet length) total body length of 220m? (Tell me if they are, don't know)

How do they handle radiation? does an immunity to fire grant immunity to radiation?

Can the immunity stop 2kt/second of energy being blasted at him?

Godzilla (Heisie) has lifted and thrown several hundred thousand tons (165,000 tons to be exact). Can they compare?

I'll give the magic and the Inteligence edges, Godzilla can't compare those, but Brute force? Nay I say!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

organize a platoon of dragon hunters in Valiant Power armor, give them some Blaster Autocannons and send them in after heavy airstrikes/artillery bombardment. expect casualties to be extreme.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Majin Gojira wrote:They top 100m tall? 150m long (taol standing including feet length) total body length of 220m? (Tell me if they are, don't know)

How do they handle radiation? does an immunity to fire grant immunity to radiation?

Godzilla (Heisie) has lifted and thrown several hundred thousand tons (165,000 tons to be exact). Can they compare?

I'll give the magic and the Inteligence edges, Godzilla can't compare those, but Brute force? Nay I say!
According to the Great Red Wyrm entry in the 3rd Ed. Monster Manual, its going to be about 80ft long, but don't forget that a good deal of the dragon is going to be vertical. Speaking of vertical, dragons can fly with ease and simply pelt ol' Godzilla with high-level spells, as a Great Red Wyrm is also a 19th level Sorceror.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

JediNeophyte wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:They top 100m tall? 150m long (taol standing including feet length) total body length of 220m? (Tell me if they are, don't know)

According to the Great Red Wyrm entry in the 3rd Ed. Monster Manual, its going to be about 80ft long, but don't forget that a good deal of the dragon is going to be vertical. Speaking of vertical, dragons can fly with ease and simply pelt ol' Godzilla with high-level spells, as a Great Red Wyrm is also a 19th level Sorceror.
Exactly, They wouldn't/Couldn't match the big G in a physical contest. They'd have to rely on spells and magic to defeat him.

Flight is not that much of an advantage when Godzilla can shoot jets and Apache helicopters out of the sky with ease.
Browncoat

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

OFC if their spells can out reach godzillas flames...
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I don't think military tech would do a lot of good. Anyone see "Reign of Fire"?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I don't think military tech would do a lot of good. Anyone see "Reign of Fire"?
Yeah, and I found it to be incredibly stupid. Anyway there's sometime of a difference between fighting a million primary trainers with hand grenades, Reign of Fire dragons, and a couple B-2's armed with smart bombs, most other universes dragons.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the GAU-8 yet. :D
BWAHAHAHAHA
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote:
Crayz9000 wrote:Just wondering... would an Islamic terrorist with a nuclear bomb strapped to his chest be considered terminal indigestion if eaten?
Not if it's Red/Gold...
Nukes do mostly physical damage - lots of physical damage. A Stellar Dragon
could eat one without fear.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Net's not forget the Undead Stellar Dragons also called Void, or Singularity Dragons....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin