Pirates of the Caribbean

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

By the way, the weapon is spelled cannon. The law is spelled canon.

Just to clear that up again...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Jadeite wrote:The curse is rather wimpy I think. I mean sure, they can't feel anything, but they are invulnerable! Think of what a european army could do with that chest, itd have almost a small regiment of soldiers, and all theyd have to do to cancel it is put em back with some blood.
According to what the dialogue said I was under the impression that though it couldn't kill them these men were also feeling hungry, thirsty, and horny but there was no way for them to quench those feelings. That's the problem with the curse (imagine what 10 years of starvation would feel like if you could actually survive it).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crayz9000 wrote:By the way, the weapon is spelled cannon. The law is spelled canon.

Just to clear that up again...
You try typing with a cat in your lap, bumping your hands wyhile demanding loving cuddling. :lol: :lol:

And Sylas is right about the curse. They couldn't die, but they also couldn't enjoy living. They could drink as much as they wanted, but it wouldn't quench the thrist. They could eat a table clean, yet still be hungry.

And I've heard of blueballs, but I think they'd have something worse... :twisted: Just think, they couldn't even masterbate to relieve themselves! :shock:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

LadyTevar wrote:You try typing with a cat in your lap, bumping your hands wyhile demanding loving cuddling. :lol: :lol:
As long as it isn't running across the keyboard, huh? :D
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Keira was one of the Handmaiden of Amidala in EP 1, the one Natalie Portman's character switches with. It's something Lucas hid for quite some time...(Source: IMDB)
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crayz9000 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:You try typing with a cat in your lap, bumping your hands wyhile demanding loving cuddling. :lol: :lol:
They're better trained than that... But they do SHED all over the keyboard.

*sprays keyboard, starts sneezing and crying as cathair gets in eyes and nose* AaaaaaaaaaaaaaCHOOOOOOOOOO!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

Pu-239 wrote:Just watched it today. Good for a disney movie. Only problem is that the soldiers attempting to fight the undead pirates was pointless
Yeah, but by the time they would have realized that they were already in the middle of the fray and probably couldn't break away without getting cut to pieces as they dived for their boats. Besides, where are they going to go other than swimming to the island -- the zombie pirates' home turf. Better to hack like hell and hope they dismember the bastards (they could still cut 'em to pieces even if they won't die) while they've got them cornered and outnumbered.

-- Joe Momma
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How does the song go?

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

FaxModem1 wrote: Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me
Eight strong men on a dead mans chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Crayz9000 wrote:
I paw on <Ctrl> another on <Alt> while the third hover's omniously over <Delete>. why is it that kittens know this?

also does this mean that the small gods Tevar and Nitram speak of are members of the evil, or are they just the children of Bast?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Majin Gojira wrote:
Keira was one of the Handmaiden of Amidala in EP 1, the one Natalie Portman's character switches with. It's something Lucas hid for quite some time...(Source: IMDB)
Keira and Natalie at the same time...............................hmmmm :twisted:
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Crayz9000 wrote:
I paw on <Ctrl> another on <Alt> while the third hover's omniously over <Delete>. why is it that kittens know this?

also does this mean that the small gods Tevar and Nitram speak of are members of the evil, or are they just the children of Bast?
Children of Bast with the powers of Cute, Cuddly, and Really Sharp Claws.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

The question I have is, near the beginning of the movie, when Jack has just saved the girl from drowning and is put in shackles, when he climbs up the loading crane (I think that's what is was), how does he first wrap the chained shackles over the rope to slide down, and second pull the chain (attached to both wrists) off of the rope to jump down?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Maybe the rope was hastily fastened.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Mark S wrote:The question I have is, near the beginning of the movie, when Jack has just saved the girl from drowning and is put in shackles, when he climbs up the loading crane (I think that's what is was), how does he first wrap the chained shackles over the rope to slide down, and second pull the chain (attached to both wrists) off of the rope to jump down?
There was plenty of slack in the chain. He through the loop over the rope and held onto it with his hands as he slid down. When he reached the bottom, he just let go of the loop. He never had to detach the chain from his wrists to do the slide.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ted C wrote:
Mark S wrote:The question I have is, near the beginning of the movie, when Jack has just saved the girl from drowning and is put in shackles, when he climbs up the loading crane (I think that's what is was), how does he first wrap the chained shackles over the rope to slide down, and second pull the chain (attached to both wrists) off of the rope to jump down?
There was plenty of slack in the chain. He through the loop over the rope and held onto it with his hands as he slid down. When he reached the bottom, he just let go of the loop. He never had to detach the chain from his wrists to do the slide.
You beat me to it... :)

I still totally agree with this line:
"You want pain? Try wearing a corset!" :lol:

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

"You know what I'm going to do once I'm human again?(looks at Kate hungrilly)Eat a whole bushel of apples."
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

I saw it today, grat film...Johnny Depp once again proves why he IS one of the best actors ever.

Too many great scenes to remember, loved Jacks entrance to Port Royal.

Especially loved the rum scene.

'But why the Rum?' It was like watching Charlton Heston finding the statue of liberty...
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Jack's entrance was hilarious. At first it looks like he's being all dramatic, but then you see what happened to the boat.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Thats why it was so good, it was a film that knew it was a film and didn't take itself to seriously...
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I loved it.

"She's going to be impossible to live with after this."
JADAFETWA
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Now, I wonder if the Haunted mansion movie is going to be any good... :lol:

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Great movie, gald I went to see it, my only problem was that while at the drive-in, there were these three girls I went with that kept lusting after Depp. Got really annoying with some of their commentary, mostly because they'd already seen it about four times...
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

* maybe spoiler, dunno *

The only thing that I didn't get was why was Turner's blood so special? Was he some kind of Aztec descendant or what? I was waiting for the explanation of why his blood could break the curse, and the only thing the bad guy basically said is "he was the nice guy" :?

Incredible movie BTW. Johnny Depp is one of my fav actors... I heard he's a bitch to work with tho.

* end spoiler wannabe *
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Slartibartfast wrote:* maybe spoiler, dunno *

The only thing that I didn't get was why was Turner's blood so special? Was he some kind of Aztec descendant or what? I was waiting for the explanation of why his blood could break the curse, and the only thing the bad guy basically said is "he was the nice guy" :?

Incredible movie BTW. Johnny Depp is one of my fav actors... I heard he's a bitch to work with tho.

* end spoiler wannabe *
Turner's father was one of the pirates who'd originally stolen the gold, and to break the curse, they needed the blood of William (Bill) Turner. The necklace Elizabeth was wearing was the last piece of stolen gold, sent to young Will in England, to prevent Barbados from every breaking the curse. Will's father had been tied to a cannon and thrown overboard when Barbados found out.
"Course, that was b'fore we knew we needed 'is blood. Kinda like irony there, ain't it."

Here's the thing that I was wondering: If Bill Turner was tied to a cannon and thrown overboard, yet was a crew member and suffered the same curse... did he die, or was he just trapped down in the deep until Jack and Will broke the curse?