Pirates of the Caribbean

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

LadyTevar wrote:
Turner's father was one of the pirates who'd originally stolen the gold, and to break the curse, they needed the blood of William (Bill) Turner. The necklace Elizabeth was wearing was the last piece of stolen gold, sent to young Will in England, to prevent Barbados from every breaking the curse. Will's father had been tied to a cannon and thrown overboard when Barbados found out.
"Course, that was b'fore we knew we needed 'is blood. Kinda like irony there, ain't it."

Here's the thing that I was wondering: If Bill Turner was tied to a cannon and thrown overboard, yet was a crew member and suffered the same curse... did he die, or was he just trapped down in the deep until Jack and Will broke the curse?
I bet on the second thing. I was kinda expecting during the movie to see the Turner senior turning up in the end fight, but I guess they tied him pretty well to the cannon.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

IIRC, they chained him to a cannonball and fired him over the side, which may or may not have ripped his body apart. Regardless, even if he did survive that, breaking the curse would have meant drowning him. Unless he did manage to escape and is off in the Bahamas somewhere.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Robert Treder wrote:I rather enjoyed it, though I wonder

(Here be Spoilers, arrrh!)

why the pirates were afraid of Ms. Swan dropping the coin into the water on the occasion of her first parlayance, seeing as how they can walk around on the bottom of the ocean. It shouldn't have been too difficult, I don't imagine, for them to have found it in the event that she did drop it.
How deep would the water there be? I think they were well out to sea. If you put someone over the side to find the coin, they've got to locate it (possibly in pitch darkness, if it's deep enough), then get back to the ship somehow. It would, at the very least, be a huge pain in the ass to try to find the thing again if she dropped it.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Darth Yoshi wrote:IIRC, they chained him to a cannonball and fired him over the side, which may or may not have ripped his body apart. Regardless, even if he did survive that, breaking the curse would have meant drowning him. Unless he did manage to escape and is off in the Bahamas somewhere.
Yeah.. big difference between a cannon and a cannonball :) Still, it would be very annoying to be stuck on the bottom of the ocean, unable to die, for ten years. Thing of all the sea critters that are down there, feeding on you. Especially since it seems he was fired deep enough Moonlight wouldn't reach him to skeletonize him. Flesh ever regenerating... and then, finally, when release comes, die when your eardrums and eyes burst from the pressure and your lungs fill with water.
*Shudder*
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

So they actually needed the blood of ALL the cursed people? That would make sense, each one giving back what he stole plus a bit of his blood. But I didn't hear that anywhere in the movie, just that Turner's blood was important, not the other pirates'.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

I just saw it last night, and I loved it!

I had no idea Orlanod Bloom was such a poor actor until I saw him being outacted by Johnny Depp at every turn.

One thing you're all missing though - The curse means they are skeletons all the time - but you can't see it out of the moonlight:

"The moonlight shows us for what we really are"
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

That wouldn't seem to be the case with what Will did to the pirate with the bombs.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

SylasGaunt wrote:That wouldn't seem to be the case with what Will did to the pirate with the bombs.
Why not? Bombs blow up skeletons too
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

innerbrat wrote: Why not? Bombs blow up skeletons too
As demonstrated in Army of Darkness.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

So they actually needed the blood of ALL the cursed people? That would make sense, each one giving back what he stole plus a bit of his blood. But I didn't hear that anywhere in the movie, just that Turner's blood was important, not the other pirates'.
Rush did mention something about everyone having 'paid the blood price' during the pep talk near the treasure, and Depp did slice his hand before tossing the coin back into the chest.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

innerbrat wrote:One thing you're all missing though - The curse means they are skeletons all the time - but you can't see it out of the moonlight:

"The moonlight shows us for what we really are"
But that is not demonstrated in the movie. When they are not in the moonlight, they can be stabbed, they even bleed a little, and they can't get bombs out of their ribcages that have been placed in skeleton-mode.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

innerbrat wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:That wouldn't seem to be the case with what Will did to the pirate with the bombs.
Why not? Bombs blow up skeletons too
Thing is though he couldn't get it out because he wasn't in the moonlight and his flesh was clearly blocking his hands.