White Wolf Games

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

lgot
Jedi Knight

White Wolf Games

Post by lgot »

Since it is getting out of the topic in the elf's topic, I just created here,it may even die quickly...but better than a lot of spamming...
I found the Changelings to be fun... even got involved in a one-day LARP with them. The whole point is that you have to have a good DM for any game, and Changeling is far more challenging than the other White Wolf games. Hell, the way they had to cast their glamour was a pain in the ass, but the spells themselves were way powerful.
When a first level Pooka can freeze a Sidhe knight in place with her spell (As I did at the LARP), that's Power.
It is my favorite of all White Wolf Games. Back when Ian Lemke wrote all the stuff only Phil Bruccato who worked with Mage was a better developer than him. Sadly both left WW...
Of course, I can think in two cantrips that can freeze people in place and they are not really that expensive...one of the ways (Legerdeman) is even more dangerous actually, since the same level that freeze can be use to throw stuff at adversaries and the damage is 3 x the number of sucess...
I found Changelind a need in World Of Darkness...After all they represent the dreams forfeit, apathy and in other hand, the new nightmares and fears...
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Perhaps I'm mad, but I never liked WoD very much. It's too much 'The world is falling to shit and nothing can be done' for me. But that's just my two cents, I can see how people would like it.

Me, I'm loving the world of Aeon more and more. Gonna find me some Trinity and Adventure! stuff soon.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

In return, I can see what you mean...
one of the hard things when playing or storytelling is when you notice you make a great character or story but they are powerless to save or do any difference. Sometimes is a bit odd that the better you do, the world is danmed anyways (Not like when playing D&D you actually have any chance to make a change in Toril's world for exampel)...Quite hardly when you already know who the big guns are and that your character will never be them...
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

lgot wrote:In return, I can see what you mean...
one of the hard things when playing or storytelling is when you notice you make a great character or story but they are powerless to save or do any difference. Sometimes is a bit odd that the better you do, the world is danmed anyways (Not like when playing D&D you actually have any chance to make a change in Toril's world for exampel)...Quite hardly when you already know who the big guns are and that your character will never be them...
One big thing in my GMing is always give the players the power to tilt the world. AD&D's power scale made that very possible, as does Aberrant's(Adventure's general level is weaker, and Trinity is approaching the 'Everything's Going To Shit' level). Official storylines are fun things, and good as helpers, but never ironclad.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: White Wolf Games

Post by LadyTevar »

lgot wrote:Since it is getting out of the topic in the elf's topic, I just created here,it may even die quickly...but better than a lot of spamming...
LadyTevar wrote:I found the Changelings to be fun... even got involved in a one-day LARP with them. The whole point is that you have to have a good DM for any game, and Changeling is far more challenging than the other White Wolf games. Hell, the way they had to cast their glamour was a pain in the ass, but the spells themselves were way powerful.
When a first level Pooka can freeze a Sidhe knight in place with her spell (As I did at the LARP), that's Power.
Of course, I can think in two cantrips that can freeze people in place and they are not really that expensive...one of the ways (Legerdeman) is even more dangerous actually, since the same level that freeze can be use to throw stuff at adversaries and the damage is 3 x the number of sucess...
I found Changelind a need in World Of Darkness...After all they represent the dreams forfeit, apathy and in other hand, the new nightmares and fears...
Yes, I used Legerdemain to catch him. The idea of the Quest was to defeat the knight, and I did it just by throwing a lock of my own hair, tied in a bow, and hitting him in the chest. In Live Action. I'll never be able to do that ever again.

But yes, Changeling had their place in WoD, although many people I RPed with thought they were 'pansy', and 'too light and happiness". Of course, these were the players that ran Giovanni, Tremere, and ShadowLords constantly.... :roll:
They had more ways of backstabbing than I cared to think of... and unfortunately, I was usually the patsy for their schemes, just because they knew I'd play my character honorably. (IE, the ShadowLord Homid could pull the Fianna Lupine's strings.)

There was one dice Changeling game I RPed in, set in West Virginia... The GM brought in the MothMan as a Chimera. :lol:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

oh, true. Since WoD is set in todays world, it is even easy to make the players be a future influence, but I meant as in the end all that happens in WoD is a result of Wyrm/Wyld/Weaver balance breakdown and how it only makes sense that in the end (which can be centuries ahead) it ends and a new cicle starts again. Of course, many interpretation is open but as today, any player know that the game storyline is all Set to Wyrm victory and a final destruction and no power in the world can stop it...kind annoying sometimes...
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

I think You will do a lot of Ensare Again : ) Not that hard.
Do you want harder ? Once playing with mages,a crossover,i was a Sidhe, Eiluned. We are in the 80's so the mages are already like 5,6 of Arete (We had a prelude in the 70's)...well, big battle, lots of things. I come in and no one cared for me. Well, Primal 5, I had. Then I turned one small piece of wood that throwed over the bad guys in a Blue Whale. (Easy, you just need nature)...Simple thing, a lot of damage, the battle was over, the storyteller as like "I will never allow You do buy any art in level 5 ever again"...And I was like "But I did not even turned things in earthquakes or Vulcanos"...
Next time I will scary him with a over use of Soothsay :twisted:

Now, people think that Redcaps, Sluaghs or Sidhes of Ailil or Balor are nice net guys ? geez...
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

lgot wrote:oh, true. Since WoD is set in todays world, it is even easy to make the players be a future influence, but I meant as in the end all that happens in WoD is a result of Wyrm/Wyld/Weaver balance breakdown and how it only makes sense that in the end (which can be centuries ahead) it ends and a new cicle starts again. Of course, many interpretation is open but as today, any player know that the game storyline is all Set to Wyrm victory and a final destruction and no power in the world can stop it...kind annoying sometimes...
I don't think Wrym/Weaver/Wyrld being the true cosmology of the WoD is very doubtful. So much stuff is happening in the back ground without even throwing exalted in to the mix.

The End draws near:

http://www.white-wolf.com/toj/press.html

Its been said (At least I've heard) that this is not the end of the WoD, and staying with the cycle deal we will prob see a post apocylpitic setting.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

Yet another promise broken by White Wolf. :roll:
150th post made June 9, 2003
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Debater classification: Lurker
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I could never get into Changeling, I just didn't think it fit well with the modern day gothic punk setting of WOD games. Vampire has always been my favorite followed very closely by Mage. On a sidenote, does anyone else get a kick out of comparing the Matrix to Mage and seeing similarities in concepts (Agents as MiB, etc)

I stopped getting their stuff about two years back, right after I got all the Revised Vamp clan books. Can anyone fill me in on whta's gone on in the metaverse of WOD especially if there have been any developments with the Red Star. I was none too impressed with the way they got rid of the Ravnos and smoked an antedeluvian. Does anyone remember First edition (yes I was one of the First Ones) when the Antedeluvians were strictly a rumor and it was up to you whther they existed? That was real atmosphere.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

DarthBlight wrote:Yet another promise broken by White Wolf. :roll:
Er, and what promise would that be?
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

Read the transcripts of the dev chats shortly after the Revised editions came out. All of them said that White Wolf would write for the product up to the end, but leaving the end open for the ST's.

The other promise they broke was doing Demon.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

DarthBlight wrote:Read the transcripts of the dev chats shortly after the Revised editions came out. All of them said that White Wolf would write for the product up to the end, but leaving the end open for the ST's.

The other promise they broke was doing Demon.
Did the group change over time? I know that Justic Achili (sp?) when he came on board demanded that they shake up the Vampire game line and even get rid of one of the clans. I don't think that one group of developers or authors should be bound by another because some people's visions are different than others, but WW has never struck me as a company that holds to its promises.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

Did the group change over time? I know that Justic Achili (sp?) when he came on board demanded that they shake up the Vampire game line and even get rid of one of the clans. I don't think that one group of developers or authors should be bound by another because some people's visions are different than others, but WW has never struck me as a company that holds to its promises.
This was said by the current developers: Achilli, Skemp, and Heinig. I can understand that desires can change with time, but it just irks me that they say something and then don't stick to their word.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Well, It was what I meant by a cicle of wyrm/weaver/wyld etc, it is just what they are doing...

I followed Artarus's Changeling and some werewolf stuff about the red Star...It come closer (of course), In werewolf Abyss is now in the near umbra. Ravnos's death caused the release of darker "changelings" because old trods are now opened, those dudes are coming because only the last court of Fomorians are bounded yet, House Balor Sidhes are already moving to earth because the search of Balor's relics seems to be finished and the last houses of Sidhes are expelled to return to Earth, Cause, just again, the Sidhe are not doing what they are supposed to do and stop the war and protect the dreaming...