Elf Haters

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Elf Haters

Post by Kitsune »

I will be honest, I love Elves but I know alot of people who hate Elves. Kind of curious who you are and why you hate Elves?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

*grumble* damn pointy ears *grumble*.
It really depends on what kind of elf/RPG-world you are talking about.
In some worlds they are compassionate, wise and insightful. In others they are downright bastards.
Most RPG-worlds have at least one race of arrogant, snobbish elitist elves.

If you take the standard D&D world whats NOT to dislike(from a human point of view ofc)about elves :).

Damn arrogant pointy-ears. Only good place for them is in a stew :D
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

I hate those pointy-eared poncy nancy-boy elves and their prancing around and their holier-than-thou attitudes! :evil:

"Oh we're an ancient and noble people whose time is passing with a great sadness for all that is fading away yet we skip and sing and play merrily and are immortal and never fall ill and have superhuman vision and coordination and intelligence and uncanny mental magical powers and are basically superior to humans in every way yet when the Dark Lord is rising we just sit back and watch the great battles from a distance and leave our dirty work to Men and little halflings!"

Nah, I'm just kidding. Elves are great. Everybody loves Elves. It would be nice if they pulled their weight in struggles with unholy evil, though.

"Legolas probably achieved least of the Nine Walkers."
-J.R.R. Tolkien, Unfinished Tales, p. 400 hardback
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Ever hear tales about the sidhe fae? Those bastards can nasty!
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Oh I like the long eared buggers, namely chained to a rack.

Hey Gil what's the tales of sidhe fae about?
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

LT.Hit-Man wrote:Oh I like the long eared buggers, namely chained to a rack.

Sidhe Fae is the old word, Celtic, for Elves. Basically, don't beleive what you hear about Elves being kind and gentle and nice. They fuck with your head, seduce you, steal your kids, kill your soul, and make you beg for more.

Kinda reminds me of you, really.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

SirNitram wrote:

Sidhe Fae is the old word, Celtic, for Elves. Basically, don't beleive what you hear about Elves being kind and gentle and nice. They fuck with your head, seduce you, steal your kids, kill your soul, and make you beg for more.

And that's just the seelie sidhe. The unseelie are the really nasty fucks.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

SirNitram wrote:

Well that's because my grandfather was from Ierland and acroding to the old family lore one if his blood kin tangled up with an elf a very very long time ago and prodeuced offspring that lived maybe that might explane a few things about me.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Theyr'e too overrated! 'Look, I'm elf! Look at my ears! Look at my oozing charisma!'. I'd rather be a dwarf or an Illithid...mmmm.... cthluhu-kin.....
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Elves are apparently better than us in every way.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Howedar wrote:Elves are apparently better than us in every way.
And they don't taste like chicken :twisted:

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Some of the nastyiest Elves are from 40k never ever EVER fuck with a Solitare........
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

I think Blackmage said it best...

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=011121
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Howedar wrote:Elves are better than us in every way.
That goes without saying, silly.
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Competition with pretty-boy Legolas. Not really competion, but I do get tired of girls swooning over him everytime the name is mentioned... I'm sure a lot of other teenage guys have to deal with this.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

[Nick Perumov's Empire human] Hey, there's an Elf over there! Let's impale the heathen heretic. Yes, and then skin it alive as well. And then burn what's left. And see that wizard there? Maybe we'll convince him to make sure the Elf is alive and concious untill and during the burning part.[/Nick Perumov's Empire human]

Does that answer your question? :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Elf Haters

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Kitsune wrote:I will be honest, I love Elves but I know alot of people who hate Elves. Kind of curious who you are and why you hate Elves?
I think many fantasy readers dislike elves it's because elves have a tendency to be rather arrogant and consider themselves "the chosen ones."

(Note: Some dislike dwarves for similar reasons)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Elves slowly simp wine, compose molodes, and take their time. Orcs & Dwarves like fucking, drinking beer, and cutting loose.

See.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamourous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Kitsune wrote:I will be honest, I love Elves but I know alot of people who hate Elves. Kind of curious who you are and why you hate Elves?
I don't hate them, but I have never and will never be a fan of idyllic non-productive forestry, nor to I think that archers are the end-all of combat (frontal shock combat is). Basically, they're just a collection of slightly different looking tribalists who use the cowardly bow and keep huge resources and land away from the exploitation and cultivation of humanity. Thus, they have to be driven off that territory as a matter of course. No hard feelings, naturally, but we need all those acres of timber! (That is rather selfish. And they call themselves enlightened..)
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: I don't hate them, but I have never and will never be a fan of idyllic non-productive forestry, nor to I think that archers are the end-all of combat (frontal shock combat is). Basically, they're just a collection of slightly different looking tribalists who use the cowardly bow and keep huge resources and land away from the exploitation and cultivation of humanity. Thus, they have to be driven off that territory as a matter of course. No hard feelings, naturally, but we need all those acres of timber! (That is rather selfish. And they call themselves enlightened..)
The only problem is that the ponsy D&D elves go complain to their dangerous Celtic cousins and that's bad news for you when the sidhe join the party. :)

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Gil Hamilton wrote: The only problem is that the ponsy D&D elves go complain to their dangerous Celtic cousins and that's bad news for you when the sidhe join the party. :)
Being the plaything of a Sidhe isn't a bad fate, really... Well, in the context that you don't care, sort of like being the plaything of a Draka.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Being the plaything of a Sidhe isn't a bad fate, really... Well, in the context that you don't care, sort of like being the plaything of a Draka.
This is true, but it still kind of sucks. Especially when you end up rolling around on the floor of some stupid Greek forest pounding on your best buddy over your respective girlfriends because the fae who decided to have fun at your expense fucked up. It sucks, trust me, I've been there.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I think some of the best badass elves are from George Lucas's "Shadow Moon" books. Its a sequel to Willow.

They're wise, arrogant, magical, they hate humans, and they kick all kinds of ass WITHOUT steel weapons. In that world steel is deadly even in touch to them, so their weapons are sharpened bone and ivory enhanced with magic.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

CaptainChewbacca wrote:In that world steel is deadly even in touch to them, so their weapons are sharpened bone and ivory enhanced with magic.
...Why don't they just use bronze, then?