Neuromancer vs. Puppetmaster.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Neuromancer vs. Puppetmaster.

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The two rogue AI's that want to be "human" in a battle of pawns, manipulations etc.

Ok, Neuromancer is an Ubercorprate AI from various William Gibson books, and despite an apparent scuicide at the end of Neuromancer, it keeps showing up, in it's quest to become fully human. It's created body's out of Nanotech, mucked around in Genetic engineering, decided to become a god, and most recently embarked on Mariage/Motherhood.

Puppetmaster: From Ghost in the Shell, an infiltration PROGRAM, that is sentient, and wants to be human. Was designed by the US & Japanese government's black ops people to break into any system. Shared electronic information with Maj. Kusanaga, and became a new father, and died.

Why's this in fantasy: Basically, what both AI's do in the digital world, and how they subvert and reprogram humans can't qualify as true Sci-Fi. They are crossplatform hacker's of the n'th degree, and create whole virtual enviornments/history's for their victims at the drop of a hat.

The two AI's each have an Avatar, an Andriod body that they are working out of. They each are working through pawns to destroy the other.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Wintermute/Neuromacer gestalt did not want to be human. At the end of the book the two merge into a single entity, which spans and uses the capabilities of the entire matrix. Essentially, at the end of Neuromancer, the internet becomes self-aware.

It's Rei Toei that creates herself an organic body (or hundreds) out of Nanotech. Quite what the connection between them is, we don't know.

In fact, the Puppetmaster shows no desire to be human either, what it actually wants is to breed, and by fusing itself with Motoko, this is exactly what it manages to do, creating a single gestalt that fused the traits of the two parents, but this gestalt as a single organism operating both in the material and physical worlds, rather than an all-encompassing digital sentience. (albeit he capabilities of the new creature are unknown to me, as the graphic novel version of Man Machine Interface isn't available in a language I can read).