Top 5 Bad Guys Ever

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Iceberg wrote:1. Sauron (Lord of the Rings)

- The prototypical Dark Lord of late-20th-Century fantasy and sf. Pure evil, pure malice, all conquering, all the time. Fallen angel and all-around badass, Morgoth's right-hand man is the standard by which all other villains are measured. Some mistakenly believe him to be a metaphor for Adolph Hitler and the Third Reich. Congratulations, Sauron. You are Number One.
I thought Sauron was intended as an evil version of Odin, with the Orcs being a caricature of Viking berserkers...
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Using my limited knowledge of such subjects, the 5 I can think of from the top of my head, in no particular order are:

Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars)
Blofeld (Early James Bond Movies)
Hannibal Lector
Hugo Drax (Moonraker)
Sauron (LotR)

Told you I didn't know much about stuff like this.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Did anyone mention Lord Farquaad?
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The five worst villains of all time? Easy.

1. Rakoth Maugrim

He laughs at the gods and mocks them, for he is older than they and does not fear them. He is Rakoth Maugrim, who came to the weave from outside of it and is thus not bound to it. Inviolate, immortal, and utterly evil, it's hard to think of anyone I'd rather not be at the mercy of. Who else would booby-trap the way to the Elven paradise with a soul-devouring demon? Pure wickedness.

2. Pennywise the Clown

Not the watered-down villain of the movie, Stephen Kings ultimate villain is one of the most terrifying I've read of, ever. It puts people, preferably children, in a state of utter terror because that way they taste better. And, more insidiously, it forms the dark core of Derry, the reason why nobody cares enough to investigate a cry for help or come to the aid of a running child until it's too late. It kills, it eats, and it has lots of friends. And they all float down there in the sewers.

3. Jack of Shadows, Shadowjack the thief

The Earth no longer rotates in his world. Science rules the day side, while magic holds sway over the night side. Born in neither realm, but on the shadowy line of division, Shadowjack is the consummate thief, conniver, and murderer. Uniquely, his power does not hail from a fixed geographical location, but instead is granted wherever shadows are. A ruthless, tyrannical schemer who'd rather destroy the world than see it destroy him, Shadowjack is a consummate anti-hero and a great protagonist.

4. Lord Foul the Despiser

Massively evil and a planner far beyond even Grand Admiral Thrawn. Lord Foul gave genocide a name. Nobody knows what he is; he just is. And none can stand against him. His machinations led to rapine, murder, war and suffering, and all committed by men manipulated into doing so. He broke the Law of Death and ruined the Land. All his machinations were designed in order to shatter the very universe for his pleasure. Yep, he's bad.

5. Elithomiel Zakalwe

Anyone who does what this man did deserves an honorable mention as a total and complete bastard. Not to spoil Use of Weapons for those who haven't read it, but what Elithomiel does is a thing so calculatedly awful that I was stunned when I read about it. Excellent book, besides.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe