Elf ears

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Elf ears

Post by fgalkin »

I was wonering, what is the origin of the shape of elf ears in most fantasy. I'm reasonably sure that Tolkien never mentioned the shape of the Elves' ears, yet in the LotR movies, they are the same shape, just as everywhere else.:?

Does anyone know who came up with that shape in the first place?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Elf ears

Post by Stormbringer »

fgalkin wrote:I was wonering, what is the origin of the shape of elf ears in most fantasy. I'm reasonably sure that Tolkien never mentioned the shape of the Elves' ears, yet in the LotR movies, they are the same shape, just as everywhere else.:?
Actually Tolkien's Elves have pointy ears, strangly enough he mentioned it in some of his letters and other bits and pieces. Hobbits actually have slightly pointed ears as well.

fgalkin wrote:Does anyone know who came up with that shape in the first place?
No idea. I think it might just be one of those things that cropped in early in fantasy.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Actually, there is a very, very, very, very obscure reference that Tolkien elves do have pointed ears. In one of his etymological notes on the Elvish word for leaf, Tolkien related it to the word for ear. Thus, Elvish ears are leaf-shaped and, perhaps, pointy.

I assume the tradition for elves and other fey creatures to have pointy ears goes much further back, perhaps to Elizabethan times.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Fey, Sidhe, and other names for the Fair Folk all had pointy ears and highly angular faces long before Tolkien. Tolkien did not make them up.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

SirNitram wrote:The Fey, Sidhe, and other names for the Fair Folk all had pointy ears and highly angular faces long before Tolkien. Tolkien did not make them up.
I don't think that anyone was claiming that.

I think it's plainly obvious to anybody that actually does a fair amount of reading that elves have been depicted with pointed ears for 100-200 years at a minimum...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Just had a microrant come on. As for who came up with it?

*shrugs* Find who started the first myth of elves. I can't find that. I seriously doubt anyone ever will.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Elves are legendary I believe. As in told in legends and what not. So when recorded in fiction, when characters are called elves, they assume the appearence of what the elves in myth and legend looked like. Including pointy ears.

Or they're all descended from Vulcans.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

You know that is strange over in japan they show elves with some realy freaky long and pointed ears and one know why that is?
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Because they're neat-looking. :mrgreen:

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Because they're neat-looking. :mrgreen:
Could be I'm not sure about that but you might be right
Or it could be they felt sorry for your avrage orc and made the elve's ears longer so that there would be more elf ear soup to go around :twisted:

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

:?

You might want to start investing in commas, Hitman. ;)

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote::?

You might want to start investing in commas, Hitman. ;)
Why?
Ok fine I will *grabs an elf and rips of one of it's ears) ,
better?

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I think the elf ears are long and all to give them enhanced hearing, which is good enough benefit for the drawback of long ears, IMO.

Which leads me to say that I personally, among all the styles of elf ears out there, like the one in Record of Lodoss War the most. :)
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Shinova wrote:I think the elf ears are long and all to give them enhanced hearing, which is good enough benefit for the drawback of long ears, IMO.

Which leads me to say that I personally, among all the styles of elf ears out there, like the one in Record of Lodoss War the most. :)
Never seen LW what's it about besides a war and is it any good?

Elves there just not for breakfast anymore.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

It's actually more for stylistic emphasis, I think.

I think the only real reason that anime and manga elf ears are long are because they look good that way.

And I agree on the Lodoss appeal. :mrgreen:

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Oh, and Record of Lodoss War is very very good.

The only reason I don't have it right now is because I sold my old crappy set so that I could eventually get the better new set.

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:It's actually more for stylistic emphasis, I think.

I think the only real reason that anime and manga elf ears are long are because they look good that way.

And I agree on the Lodoss appeal. :mrgreen:
Ok then th's cool Well if this Lodoss war is any good I might buy it..

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

LT.Hit-Man wrote:Never seen LW what's it about besides a war and is it any good?
Only seen 3 OVAs, but from what I can tell basically two countries are at war and an outside force is taking advantage of all this to eventually eradicate all good and order...or something like that. I'm sure it's really more complicated than that.

About 75% of everyone who's watched it say it's good. The other either dislike it or say meh.

Here's some pics of Deedlit:

What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Oh, and Record of Lodoss War is very very good.

The only reason I don't have it right now is because I sold my old crappy set so that I could eventually get the better new set.
Hmmm ok then I just might get it, is it out on dvd?

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Yes. It's been out for several years.

The "old set" I was refering to was the first release, which has inferior video quality and pathetic extras when compared to the more recent rerelease.

Just keep in mind that you want to get the OVA collection and not the Quest of the Heroic Knight TV series, which is a bit more expensive and also longer and somewhat stretched out compared to the original.

They're pretty easy to tell apart, though.

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yes. It's been out for several years.

The "old set" I was refering to was the first release, which has inferior video quality and pathetic extras when compared to the more recent rerelease.

Just keep in mind that you want to get the OVA collection and not the Quest of the Heroic Knight TV series, which is a bit more expensive and also longer and somewhat stretched out compared to the original.

They're pretty easy to tell apart, though.
Ok thanks for the info
OVA?

LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Shinova wrote:
LT.Hit-Man wrote:Never seen LW what's it about besides a war and is it any good?
Only seen 3 OVAs, but from what I can tell basically two countries are at war and an outside force is taking advantage of all this to eventually eradicate all good and order...or something like that. I'm sure it's really more complicated than that.

About 75% of everyone who's watched it say it's good. The other either dislike it or say meh.

Here's some pics of Deedlit:
Thanks for the pics

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

OVA stands for "Original Video Animation", sometimes refered to as OAV. In Japan, there are some anime titles and series that are released directly to video rather than first airing on TV or exhibited in cinemas.

Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:OVA stands for "Original Video Animation", sometimes refered to as OAV. In Japan, there are some anime titles and series that are released directly to video rather than first airing on TV or exhibited in cinemas.
And the OVA's tend to be pretty good, unlike straight to video releases here in the US :P
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

BTW, I do believe that Hobbits, like Kinder and Halflings, are decended from fey or elves.