Technology in Harry Potter

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mark S
The Quiet One

Technology in Harry Potter

Post by Mark S »

I've always wondered why there are no Muggle born students at Hogwarts with cell phones, digital watches, and wondering where they can plug in their laptop? How come they all seem to forsake the entire other half of their lives?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Maybe it's frowned upon? By faculty, or maybe just by other students.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

...Because they have to?

There is no electricity in Hogwarts.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Before some smartass says it: "Unless someone casts a Bolt+3".
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:...Because they have to?

But why is there not. Unless it would necessitate bringing in contractors and having to pay the government, there doesn't seem to be a good reason that they shouldn't have it.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

That is odd...unfortunatly we only have Hermonie as a a true Muggle/Wizard.

She has knowledge of the phone but nothing of the computer, which would be of an incredible resource. Hmmm too bad we don't have a clearer view of the Dursley's lifestyle we might get a better view of human technological advance in the books.

They might not be up to our standards of tech?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

First of all I have never read any Potter book and have only seen the first movie. Now are these wizards supposed to reintergrate back into the real world? Because if so, spending your formative years in an institution without lecetricity and compueters sounds to me like a good formula for creating wizards that can't fit back into society. Maybe its their way of making sure wizards will consider themselves apart from Muggles. (an insidious system of control)

Also are there any techno mages, you know cyber space wizards, lords of logic, that sort of thing?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stravo wrote:First of all I have never read any Potter book and have only seen the first movie. Now are these wizards supposed to reintergrate back into the real world? Because if so, spending your formative years in an institution without lecetricity and compueters sounds to me like a good formula for creating wizards that can't fit back into society. Maybe its their way of making sure wizards will consider themselves apart from Muggles. (an insidious system of control)

Also are there any techno mages, you know cyber space wizards, lords of logic, that sort of thing?
Nope...the closest to techno wizards are people who screw around with technology.

ASnd they have muggle studies...but it makes no sense why even someone like Hermonie is NOT exposed to computers. It's not like she's like Potter's case...her family seems well-to-do and having her no knowledge of the computer in the 90's?!

That struck me as odd.

Though at Hogwarts itself proper...who knows.

Seriously I wouldn't be amazed at some anti-tech field. But as to other then that, makes no sense why no wristwatches or other portable devices...other then to maintain a certain feel of the enviroment.
Last edited by Ghost Rider on 2003-07-17 06:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:...Because they have to?

Sure, for things that need to plug in. But what about the little things like watches and stuff that only need batteries? Hell the place doesn't have electricity, you'd think someone's parents would make them take a flashlight.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Stravo wrote:First of all I have never read any Potter book and have only seen the first movie. Now are these wizards supposed to reintergrate back into the real world? Because if so, spending your formative years in an institution without lecetricity and compueters sounds to me like a good formula for creating wizards that can't fit back into society. Maybe its their way of making sure wizards will consider themselves apart from Muggles. (an insidious system of control)

Nope...the closest to techno wizards are people who screw around with technology.

ASnd they have muggle studies...but it makes no sense why even someone like Hermonie is NOT exposed to computers. It's not like she's like Potter's case...her family seems well-to-do and having her no knowledge of the computer in the 90's?!

That struck me as odd.

Though at Hogwarts itself proper...who knows.

Seriously I wouldn't be amazed at some anti-tech field. But as to other then that, makes no sense why no wristwatches or other portable devices...other then to maintain a certain feel of the enviroment.
They have magic cars as well. Mixed tech and magic it seems does work. So it can't be a total anti-tech field.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yeah but the car itself seemed more powered by the magic that it was infused with rather then being an amalgamation of the two.

It didn't seem to require fuel or any real maintence, and Mr. Weasley did tear it apart and reconstruct it. So it could go either way...but it seems less likely he just imbued it to fly given it nature and tracking abilities that no car has.

But I'm more wondering why no wristwatches...seriously the other stuff I can say 10 years old may not really need(though so far completel avoidence of computers and the internet is slightly astounding given the sheer nature of the beast. I mean of all of them Hermonine should be well versed in at least some tech...though we don't know). But to have not a single halfblood or muggle have any sort of 90's tech just seems....odd.

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

They have wristwatches... whether or not some of them are digital is never brought up...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

In the third book I belive it Hermonie mentions in the third book when disccus if Harry is being buged(The old fasion electronic way) that all muggle tech devices go nuts(Strong magic field is the explination)
After all if you want to keep somthing hidden having a magic equivlant of a few thousand volts of EMI would fuck up anything with transistors real quick

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Mr Bean wrote:In the third book I belive it Hermonie mentions in the third book when disccus if Harry is being buged(The old fasion electronic way) that all muggle tech devices go nuts(Strong magic field is the explination)
After all if you want to keep somthing hidden having a magic equivlant of a few thousand volts of EMI would fuck up anything with transistors real quick
D'oh!

I do remember that.

Ah well...it explains it at Hogwarts(and I believe it's book four...with Rita about the bugs

Ah, well I think tech in Potterverse will remain somewhat a mystery as to how far it really goes for wizards(though from the looks of it they consider it archaic even though in some areas it would be incredibly beneficial).

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That would have been in the fourth book.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

According to the 4th book, there is too much magic around Hogwarts which shuts down high techology for some reason. Though what I'm nto sure is why muggle born students don't try to bring in technology anyway and put dummy enchantments on them; enchantments that are very very magical, but don't do anything. This would make what ever it was a magical item, but it would still function as normal.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Some people I have discussed with consider the books to be starting around 1990...not really sure on that date but it could point out a time where laptops at least were not real effective. I had an old 386sx-16 laptop and I don't know about the machines below that speed.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stravo wrote:First of all I have never read any Potter book and have only seen the first movie. Now are these wizards supposed to reintergrate back into the real world?
Nope, Most are completely oblivious to the way people live without magic.
They might not be up to our standards of tech?
The setting of the books is early 90's. (first book set in '91).

Somehow, they've managed to leap ahead technologically though. Dudley managed, somehow, to get a Playstation six months or so before the Japanese release.....
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: Technology in Harry Potter

Post by Master of Ossus »

Mark S wrote:I've always wondered why there are no Muggle born students at Hogwarts with cell phones, digital watches, and wondering where they can plug in their laptop? How come they all seem to forsake the entire other half of their lives?
Muggle technology does not work at Hogwarts, although that's pretty inconsistent. Colin's camera worked fine (albeit he was developing his film magically, at the time).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Vendetta wrote: Somehow, they've managed to leap ahead technologically though. Dudley managed, somehow, to get a Playstation six months or so before the Japanese release.....
That could simply be writer error. I read a fantasy novel set in the Turn of teh twentieth century and some of the events appear to be at the wrong times. The book involves the San Francisco Earthquake, which was around 1905 and also the characetr is reading "The King of Elfland's Daughter" which was not published until 1924
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Mark S wrote:I've always wondered why there are no Muggle born students at Hogwarts with cell phones, digital watches, and wondering where they can plug in their laptop? How come they all seem to forsake the entire other half of their lives?
Muggle technology does not work at Hogwarts, although that's pretty inconsistent. Colin's camera worked fine (albeit he was developing his film magically, at the time).
Maybe it must be above a certain level.

Film cameras are mostly mechanical in nature, at least many of the older ones, and so might not be affected.

If the one in the movie was any indication, it didn't seem to have much electronic parts at all.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Master of Ossus wrote:Muggle technology does not work at Hogwarts, although that's pretty inconsistent. Colin's camera worked fine (albeit he was developing his film magically, at the time).
For all we know, Colin's camera was completely manual. There's no reason that it had to be a modern electronic SLR.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Gil Hamilton wrote:According to the 4th book, there is too much magic around Hogwarts which shuts down high techology for some reason. Though what I'm nto sure is why muggle born students don't try to bring in technology anyway and put dummy enchantments on them; enchantments that are very very magical, but don't do anything. This would make what ever it was a magical item, but it would still function as normal.
I've occcasionally wondered: would something like TEMPEST-hardening work? While it wasn't available to civilians back then, it was eventually declassified (IIRC). Would such heavy shielding allow electronics to function?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

phongn wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:Muggle technology does not work at Hogwarts, although that's pretty inconsistent. Colin's camera worked fine (albeit he was developing his film magically, at the time).
For all we know, Colin's camera was completely manual. There's no reason that it had to be a modern electronic SLR.
The operating mechanism for all cameras, however, is chemical. Chemicals should be affected by Hogwart's magical energy.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Can I just say I find the idea of an 'anti-tech' field one of the most ridiculous, up there with 'dur, magic and tech react violently/null each other out'?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter