Technology in Harry Potter

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Zaia wrote: Besides, judging from the level of difficulty Mr. Weasley has understanding toasters, rubber ducks, turnstiles, etc., and the fact that he is fascinated with that sort of thing and devotes his life to the study of it, I would find it hard to believe there would be any wizards who'd be able to wire up that enormous school successfully. And they couldn't possibly get any muggles in there to do it--how would they explain the place? Or the inhabitants? Even during the summer, there's the greenhouse full of rather alarming things, and the stuff that lurks in the Forbidden Forest... Plus the ghosts are always there, at the school. So the school couldn't possibly bring any muggles in to do it.

Well if there wasn't the Anti-tech-field surrounding the school, they could hire muggles to install anything they wanted. They hired muggles to help with the Quidditch cup in the 4th book. I seem to remember that they used lots of misdirection and a few spells every now and then to keep them from discovering what was really going on

Memory charms are you friend :)
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Shadow WarChief wrote:Well if there wasn't the Anti-tech-field surrounding the school, they could hire muggles to install anything they wanted. They hired muggles to help with the Quidditch cup in the 4th book. I seem to remember that they used lots of misdirection and a few spells every now and then to keep them from discovering what was really going on

Memory charms are you friend :)
Well, not really. It was just the muggle guy and his family happened to own the campground they were staying at, so they had to work with him.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

I'm not surprised that Hogwarts doesn't have electricity. I wouldn't expect it to. But muggle born students don't know that (or did Harry's first letter say anything about tech in the school? I can't remember.) and you'd think they'd bring a radio their first year not knowing any better.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Jetfire
Padawan Learner

Post by Jetfire »

I would assume that students who are accepted at Hogwarts end up getting more information depending on what they know and have available.

So for example, the Weasly's probably just get a simple letter saying "Welcome to Hogwarts. For this year you need *blah*" since so many of them have gone through the system, whereas a new Wizard from a muggle family might get a full magical manual saying "Welcome to the world of Wizardry. This is what you need to know to get to Hogwarts".

Considering the only letters we really saw was Harry's and Harry had circumstances around his acceptance letter, it's a tough call to make.

As for the thread questi on itself, as was said, there is a magical field that tends to wreck electronics all around Hogwarts. And if someone (a first year or whatever) did try to sneak a radio, well remember they are separated from their luggage for hours from when the train arrives till after the Sorting and the dinner; Hagrid and some of the other teachers probably handle any devices that exploded or otherwise mutated before people get back.

In any case, it does seem that Muggle tech is starting to verge on wizardry powers in certain respects; improves on it too (though I don't want to see the Muggle version of a Howler any time soon). There also seems to be quite a few Muggle born wizards at the school too. Perhaps in the future of the Potterverse, we'd be seeing the Ministry lightening up the regulations a bit more and people will start fllying around on Electrolux-2010's and taking coins out from a Gringol's Automated Coin Machines and stuff like that.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Maybe, though I don't see the Goblins changing for the sake of change even if Muggle methods are better. As far as the Wizard economic system runs, they seem to be stuck back in the 19th century.