Anime and Incest

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

It's a deep connection between Greek and Japanese theatrical schools.

Beware of Hubris, falling noble characters may cause relations with parents, a burning sensation in the wax wings, or destruction of Roman Republic.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Technically speaking Ayeka and Yosho are related only through Azuza ,they have different mothers, and given that Tenchi is Yoshos grandson there may not be much of an incestuous bent
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

It's not Tenchi and Ayeka that bothers me, it's Ayeka and Yosho. In Episode 2 she was searching for Yosho to marry him. Supposedly the marriage of half-brother and half-sister was allowed in ancient Japan, or so I've heard. This wasn't unique to Japan, of course; pharaohs took their sisters as queens, and in the Old Testament Abraham (or another patriarch) explains that his wife is his half-sister. Bleah.
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What I'm saying is that they didn't have any deeper meaning. I know that they spend a few years on research, but that doesn't mean that any of it was purposely symbolic. They just used them for the sake of using them, regardless on whether they checked for accuracy.
The Eva Otaku FAQ wrote:Q) Is there religious meaning to Evangelion?

A) No.
That is what I am refering to.
Who wrote that FAQ?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Brendan Jamieson with most translations by Bochan Bird.

http://www.evaotaku.com/

It's one of the few FAQs that uses direct official evidence and sources.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Partially it goes back to the fact that family trees that don't fork are very common amoung most nobility.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Anime and Incest

Post by Eleas »

Eframepilot wrote: So, have I found some sort of disturbing pattern, or should I seek counseling? Or both?
No, I don't think you're imagining things. However, I think this is just part of the Japanise schoolgirl ideal, where the ideal woman is a naïve waif with big tits and submissive disposition.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

I don't think there is not that much incest in anime. We have like 5 examples in anime released in the englisdh world and I bet if we scourge up werstern films we could find alot more. While it does tend to be less used for a distrubing atmosphere (thro it has been). I take it as more of relaxed atmosphere on it(Not that they aprove of incest, just that it happens less over there and is more of a common seanse law than a moral taboo). So they use it in other ways then we do in telling stories.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I can name at least two in AMI's top 20....

One's "The Magnificant <Ambersons?>", "The Manchurian Canidate" (Hmm, the red queen's his mother, he's WAY too close to his mother), "Psycho" (Let's not go there, but it is explained why Norman is that way), "Midnight Cowboy" (also explains why "Cowboy" is that fucked up)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

You'll also note that the 'big brother/little sister' relationships are pretty much all one-sided, the little sister tends to be young and just discovering her first crushes, the big brother tends to be idealized and absent, and the little sister has a somewhat unhappy home life. These sort of relationships would probably dissolve as the girl grows up.
You can almost imagine Keitaro and Kanako laughing about her crush when they're both in their 30s.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I can name at least two in AMI's top 20....

One's "The Magnificant <Ambersons?>", "The Manchurian Canidate" (Hmm, the red queen's his mother, he's WAY too close to his mother), "Psycho" (Let's not go there, but it is explained why Norman is that way), "Midnight Cowboy" (also explains why "Cowboy" is that fucked up)
And...?

So what?

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What I'm saying is that they didn't have any deeper meaning. I know that they spend a few years on research, but that doesn't mean that any of it was purposely symbolic. They just used them for the sake of using them, regardless on whether they checked for accuracy.
The Eva Otaku FAQ wrote:Q) Is there religious meaning to Evangelion?

A) No. Evangelion is not, and never was a religious anime and does not contain any direct commentary on the world's religions. The Judeo-Christian elements it contains are simply plot devices used to convey the story. Nothing more.

The cross shaped explosions, the Kabalah, and all other references do have religious roots and do have relevance to Evangelion but it is very important to remember that Eva is a work of fiction and should not have it's symbols taken that seriously. I think that Mamorou Oshii (director of "Ghost in The Shell" and "Patlabor") described religious elements in anime best when he said "These are used as the prototype for the stories; not for religious reasons, but for ideology and literary inspiration".

Finally, at the Otakon anime convention held in 2001, assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki (who was the director of The End of Evangelion: Episode 25' Air - while Anno personally undetook The End of Evangelion: Episode 26' Sincerely Yours and acted as Chief Director) was asked directly what relvance Christianity had to Evangelion. This was his reply:
Tsurumaki: There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us.
Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians.
There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get
distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice.

So, while Evangelion's basic plot elements are borrowed from some religious texts and myths, they merely act as inspiration for a different story. They are just there for aesthetics. Evangelion also borrowed several elements from earlier Tomino anime shows. Evangelion owes more to Ideon, than it does to Revelation.
That is what I am refering to.
The way I interperate this is that Adam/Lilith/etc in Evangelion are meant to be the literal ancestors of humanity, but that the anime itself isn't a critique of Chritianity. So it's accurate to say that it is the literal Adam, but Gainax just doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Except Shinji's. But he deserves it.[/url]
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

But they are obviously not. That's just what they were classified by SEELE from what was written in the SDSS.

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Oh, and here's a mini-article with some recent incest incidents in the American movie industry.

in in in. I can't stop. in
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:But they are obviously not. That's just what they were classified by SEELE from what was written in the SDSS.
When someone says something is obvious, they're really saying "I can't prove this, or I'm too lazy."

At least, that's what my calculus teacher told me. Maybe it's different in anime. :)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

What personally bothers me more is how the film industry sensationalises and romanticises infidelity. It's almost to the point where it seems like they're amost against the idea of faithfulness and marriage...

:roll:

psyburn21
Padawan Learner

Post by psyburn21 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What personally bothers me more is how the film industry sensationalises and romanticises infidelity. It's almost to the point where it seems like they're amost against the idea of faithfulness and marriage...

True, but it does happen alot in reallife so I guess it's the whole art imitates life, life imitates art thing.
Please spam me at psyburn21@msn.com
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What personally bothers me more is how the film industry sensationalises and romanticises infidelity. It's almost to the point where it seems like they're amost against the idea of faithfulness and marriage...

My left ankles think you highly exaggerate the glorifying of infidelity in hollywood. Consider TV. Look at the Cosby show and every family sitcom. Hell, almost any sitcom glorifies christian peity and fidelity.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Hamel wrote:

My left ankles think you highly exaggerate the glorifying of infidelity in hollywood. Consider TV. Look at the Cosby show and every family sitcom. Hell, almost any sitcom glorifies christian peity and fidelity.
Using that logic, look at how all sitcoms shun the sadistic necrophilliac bestiality lifestyle. When was the last time you saw Raymond in his basement having sex with a half-discected housecat? I doubt everybody loves Raymond now.

Oh, and TV /= Hollywood. A large amount of Hollywood films rely on the plot device of the protagonist finding love outside their dismal relationship, when less than 10% of all affairs involve finding love.
By His Word...