Spider-Man, japanese style

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Spider-Man, japanese style

Post by Peregrin Toker »

http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/s/supaidaaman.html

So - if he got his power from an alien spaceship, is a motocross driver AND pilots a giant mecha while fighting Godzilla-style monsters and villains almost straight out of a Commando Cody serial, then why the heck is he even called Spider-Man if he only has the costume and spider-string in common with the original character created by Stan Lee???

(Not that I don't like Spider-Man's japanese incarnation. But how did he end up being so different from the american Spider-Man?)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

There's another version in manga drawn by the artist of Crying Freeman, more like the original with villians like Electro, Lizard, Kangaroo Man, but it get's wierder in the later issues...(Marvel seemed to have published it before.)
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

oh yeah i remember reading that in a older Gaming magazine? very strange
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Well there is Manga Spider-man. The miniseries.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Re: Spider-Man, japanese style

Simon H.Johansen wrote: (Not that I don't like Spider-Man's japanese incarnation. But how did he end up being so different from the american Spider-Man?)
In 1971 Masked Rider began the 'live action superhero tv' genre in Japan, it might have been related (Japanese Spider-Man released in 1978).

Funniest thing about it is this was the first show in the genre the hero uses a giant robot, not just fight ordinary size villians or turn himself into a giant guy.
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

OK....:wtf:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Crazy Goji
Padawan Learner

Post by Crazy Goji »

Catches thieves just like flies,
Pilots a robot that's giant-sized.
Hey therrre, there goes Supaidaaman.

Haha! That's gold there.
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:
In 1971 Masked Rider began the 'live action superhero tv' genre in Japan, it might have been related (Japanese Spider-Man released in 1978).
Actually, if I remember correctly, there was actually a Masked Rider episode that guest starred this version of Spiderman. An insect-themed motorcyclist superhero teaming up with a spider-themed motorcyclist superhero. What is the world coming too?
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

wasnt there a Manga version of Spider man where he was just a high school ninja?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

Typhonis 1 wrote:wasnt there a Manga version of Spider man where he was just a high school ninja?
It was part of this semi-stupid thing that Marvel has done lately. They have an AU universe going in which the standard Marvel fare (Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Avengers, etc..) are redone in a "manga" style. The only thing about it that I really like so far is the redesign for Dr. Strange. Truly a kick ass sorceror supreme.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

...kill it. Kill it now.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

The only way to kill a spider...

Is with a big flat rock. The only Marvel character that can beat Spidey is obvious the Thing.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Mutant Headcrab wrote: An insect-themed motorcyclist superhero teaming up with a spider-themed motorcyclist superhero. What is the world coming too?
Rumor is that the comic-book Spider-Man inspired the Japanese to create their insect-superheroes so the Masked Riders look like flies or grasshoppers or locusts or whatever...... :D
Member of Justice League
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:Funniest thing about it is this was the first show in the genre the hero uses a giant robot, not just fight ordinary size villians or turn himself into a giant guy.
Wasn't the Mecha craze very young in the late seventies? I think that the first Mecha-themed anime aired first in the seventies, but IIRC it didn't become as popular as today until the 1980s.

generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Simon H.Johansen wrote: Wasn't the Mecha craze very young in the late seventies? I think that the first Mecha-themed anime aired first in the seventies, but IIRC it didn't become as popular as today until the 1980s.
Super robots came out first like Mazinger Z, Getta Robo at Combattler V. Then in 1978(?) Real robot series like Gundam and 1980(?) Macross began airing... :wink:
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:Funniest thing about it is this was the first show in the genre the hero uses a giant robot, not just fight ordinary size villians or turn himself into a giant guy.
Wasn't the Mecha craze very young in the late seventies? I think that the first Mecha-themed anime aired first in the seventies, but IIRC it didn't become as popular as today until the 1980s.
I was speaking about the mechas that were acted, not drawn :D
Member of Justice League