A better Christ figure

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

INRI?

Silvie.
29%
Supes.
71%

Total votes: 14

Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

A better Christ figure

Post by Baron Mordo »

Silver Surfer or Superman? Discuss.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

SS... very strange thread
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Superman. People have to know who your Messiah IS. hehehe
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Superman. He died for our sins. No...wait, he died fighting that monster with all the spiky things coming out of its head. Nevermind.
delicious pies
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

How is either of them a Christ figure again?
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

This question is kind of funny coming from a guy with an Adam Warlock avatar. That character fits the "Christ Figure" criteria muc better than Superman or the Silver Surfer.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Superman does fit. Think about it. He was sent by his father to Earth for the good of humanity. He developed powers that would enable him to save Earth from the most powerful of threats, and he even died once to prove it. Then, he came back to life. Sounds like a messiah figure to me.

And, like any hero, he has one ultimate weakness.
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Tsyroc wrote:This question is kind of funny coming from a guy with an Adam Warlock avatar. That character fits the "Christ Figure" criteria muc better than Superman or the Silver Surfer.
Well, yeah, but then you've got the bias issue.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

If you watch Superman the Movie there is no doubt that we have Christ parallels, with Marlon Brando (pre-Shamu days) stating "And for this, I send them you my only son." "For the son is in the father and the father in the son." Its all VERY religious/mythical.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Funny,everyone who posted but me selected superman but SS has more votes on the poll
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Uh, Superman, Kal El was sent to Earth because his parents didn't want him to be blown into space dust.

But yes, I do see some similarities. SS isn't exactly loved by many. More like hated.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Stravo wrote:If you watch Superman the Movie there is no doubt that we have Christ parallels, with Marlon Brando (pre-Shamu days) stating "And for this, I send them you my only son." "For the son is in the father and the father in the son." Its all VERY religious/mythical.
I was thinking about the Superman movie because of this thread as well. It really did purposefully draw Christ parallels.

Plus there's the disembodied voice of Jor-el speaking too him throughout the early parts of the film and then his head appears in the clouds at the end.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Superman wrote:Superman does fit. Think about it. He was sent by his father to Earth for the good of humanity. He developed powers that would enable him to save Earth from the most powerful of threats, and he even died once to prove it. Then, he came back to life. Sounds like a messiah figure to me.

And, like any hero, he has one ultimate weakness.
Superman came back to life because of the comic trend of never killing off popular characters for good.

Hmmm. Was Jesus the first character guilty of this?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Forget the Messiah! Supes would SWAT that stupid surfer guy! :P
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion