This is fucked up

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

YT300000
Sith'ari

This is fucked up

Post by YT300000 »

I just saw X-Men.

Magneto has no telekinesis powers, just the ability to manipulate magnetic fields. Then how does he throw people around and hold them in place so easily? Humans aren't exactly very magnetic. At this science place once, I walked through a magnetic force-field and nothing happened.

Is there an explanation, or is this just a plot hole?
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Apparently his control of the EM field is great he can just latch on and float the person by manipulating gravity and what not.

It's absolutely ridiculous...but it's that or literally a plot hole.

Though I would say plot hole since X-Men movie Mags is not quite comic Mags.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

When does he throw people around? I don't remember him doing that.
delicious pies
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

Comic mags can maniulate the entire EM spectrum.

As for movie Mags, Mystique injected the guy with liquid metal, and Maga used that to lift him up and then rip it from his chest.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

In the statue of liberty i think...wolverine is easily explained...the others i would guess iron in their blood or perhaps metal on their clothes or something...
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Lets not forget that anything, even diamagnetic materials, can be manipulated my a magnetic field if its strong enough. Remember those pictures of frogs and spiders floating in a tube. ::nodnod::
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Iron in the bloodstream.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

kojikun wrote:Lets not forget that anything, even diamagnetic materials, can be manipulated my a magnetic field if its strong enough. Remember those pictures of frogs and spiders floating in a tube. ::nodnod::
Wouldn't that have grotesquely warped the "big steel conductor" spine the statue has?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Rye wrote:
Wouldn't that have grotesquely warped the "big steel conductor" spine the statue has?
Magneto has enough control over magnetic fields to affect only the X-men? :?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

He probably can manipulate exactly how and where the fields are affected.

Think, people... :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

KK wrote:Comic mags can maniulate the entire EM spectrum.

As for movie Mags, Mystique injected the guy with liquid metal, and Maga used that to lift him up and then rip it from his chest.
Yeah, I saw that, shouldn't having that much Iron injected into him killed him? :?
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

Rye wrote:In the statue of liberty i think...wolverine is easily explained...the others i would guess iron in their blood or perhaps metal on their clothes or something...
IIRC, he just moved those metal straps to hit them and push them against the walls.
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

observer_20000 wrote:
KK wrote:Comic mags can maniulate the entire EM spectrum.

Yeah, I saw that, shouldn't having that much Iron injected into him killed him? :?
Unless she just injected it into an organ or something, rather than directly into his bloodstream.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Ok, then it's pretty much settled that Magneto doesn't lift people in the movie(s) unless they have an abnormal amount of metal in their bodies. Case closed.
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

In fact he was helpless against the guard before he had metal injected into him.

Comic Magneto is another story, but movie Magneto needed metal to work with.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

KK wrote:In fact he was helpless against the guard before he had metal injected into him.

Comic Magneto is another story, but movie Magneto needed metal to work with.
Movie Magneto is much more like Magneto when he first appeared in the comics, which I think works better for the movies.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

In my previous post I was refurring to Magneto's powes. In motivation he's more like what they came up with later.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: This is fucked up

Post by Ted C »

YT300000 wrote:I just saw X-Men.

Magneto has no telekinesis powers, just the ability to manipulate magnetic fields. Then how does he throw people around and hold them in place so easily? Humans aren't exactly very magnetic. At this science place once, I walked through a magnetic force-field and nothing happened.

Wolverine is a sitting duck; his skeleton is full of metal that Magneto can manipulate.

The guard in X2 had received an injection of some kind of non-toxic, iron-rich emulsion. His bloodstream was essentially full of iron.

These are the only people that Magneto has directly affected with his powers in the X-Men films. In the statue of liberty, he pulled pieces of metal from the structure of the statue and used them to bind the X-Men to the statue's walls. Near the end of X2 he levitated himself, but he was also wearing clothing of his own choosing, which could easily include metal fibers that would allow him to manipulate it (a known Magneto trick from the comics, btw).
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

Tsyroc wrote:In my previous post I was refurring to Magneto's powes. In motivation he's more like what they came up with later.
Yeah, it was basically the Claremont/Jim Lee version of the character with the early Stan Lee powers.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Ted C wrote:
YT300000 wrote:I just saw X-Men.

Wolverine is a sitting duck; his skeleton is full of metal that Magneto can manipulate.

The guard in X2 had received an injection of some kind of non-toxic, iron-rich emulsion. His bloodstream was essentially full of iron.

These are the only people that Magneto has directly affected with his powers in the X-Men films. In the statue of liberty, he pulled pieces of metal from the structure of the statue and used them to bind the X-Men to the statue's walls. Near the end of X2 he levitated himself, but he was also wearing clothing of his own choosing, which could easily include metal fibers that would allow him to manipulate it (a known Magneto trick from the comics, btw).
On the Statue of Liberty, Magneto pushed the X-Men against the walls, then wrapped the metal strips around them. He kept the police officers from moving. The one with the bullet stopped in front of him was trying to move, hence the grunts, but couldn't.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

YT300000 wrote:On the Statue of Liberty, Magneto pushed the X-Men against the walls, then wrapped the metal strips around them.
Not that I remember.
He kept the police officers from moving.
At gunpoint, with their own guns (remember all the floating guns?)
The one with the bullet stopped in front of him was trying to move, hence the grunts, but couldn't.
Terrified. Probably didn't want to HELP Magneto insert the bullet in his head.