Why does everyone like the Spider-man movie?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Why does everyone like the Spider-man movie?

Post by Crazedwraith »

After reading "the best/worst comic book movie" thread it seems alot of you like the spider-man movie. Personally i thought it was pretty good at first but the more times i watch it the worse i fell about.
Reasons i dislike the spider-man movie:
1) Tobey Maguire's voice just doesn't work as spider-man.
2) Where were the wisecracks?
3) The fighting wasn't likee spidey at all. The closest was when he saved that armouned van.
4) The goblin's suit at maks were awful

So, why do you guys like it ?
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Why does everyone like the Spider-man movie?

Post by Rob Wilson »

Crazedwraith wrote:After reading "the best/worst comic book movie" thread it seems alot of you like the spider-man movie. Personally i thought it was pretty good at first but the more times i watch it the worse i fell about.
3) The fighting wasn't likee spidey at all. The closest was when he saved that armouned van.

Well done storytelling, very close to the original story. Took it's time, had a good villain in willem Defoe's Goblin. Pretty much captured the heart of Spiderman right off the bat.

Sure the Wisecracks were missing, but you try to fit the long banter Spidey usually uses into a 3 second fight. :wink: It works in a comic because the reader will fit it into the timeframe they want, in a movie (unless they stretch the fight out a bit) that can't happen. Doubtless they'll get that sorted for the second one, as Peter will be more comfortable in his role, and his fights against Doc Ock should be longer and give more scope for banter.

A to his voice... I don't get it, how should spider-man have sounded? You do remember that it's Peter Parker under the mask, so how he sounds is how Spider-man's going to sound, and Tobey Maguire sounded fine as Peter.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Most of Rob's statement but a few extra.

1. Tobey truly fit what Peter was at the time...a conflicted poor guy that wants nothing more then to do what's right. Seriously Tobey did a good job to show Parker was sheepish, unconfident, and only truly shined when exposed to science.

2. The Goblin Re-dux I give thumbs up. I've seen a real live...virtual carbon copy of the GG suit. Purple does not work. The guy is a professional costume designer(gotta remember where) but seriously the suit that the comic uses works much better in pulp.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ghost Rider wrote:Most of Rob's statement but a few extra.

1. Tobey truly fit what Peter was at the time...a conflicted poor guy that wants nothing more then to do what's right. Seriously Tobey did a good job to show Parker was sheepish, unconfident, and only truly shined when exposed to science.
I'll grant u he did a preety good peter but as spidey he was crap.
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Crazedwraith wrote:After reading "the best/worst comic book movie" thread it seems alot of you like the spider-man movie. Personally i thought it was pretty good at first but the more times i watch it the worse i fell about.

It's a pretty good movie, although its box-office take suggests it's better than it is. The fact that it doesn't perfectly match the comics is not important; frankly, wisecracks during battle are stupid. We're used to them in comics but if you saw them onscreen it would kill the suspense and tension of the battle.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I kind of disagree. I think wisecracks in battle can work if in competent hands. The SW OT and TTT had lots of them, and I think they fit in pretty well.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I don’t like it. I found it fairly boring and the action unexciting.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I thought it was very good, and i would've done very little differently(something i don't usually say once i've seen a film).

EXCEPT

The final battle seemed too anticlimactic for me. Needed something much bigger, like spidey fighting the goblin in a new prototype armour or something, perhaps a nuclear threat that he uses his spidey sense to overcome somehow.

I also didn't think the way his spidey-sense was portrayed as well as it was in the cartoon that i've not seen for ages.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Most of Rob's statement but a few extra.

I'll grant u he did a preety good peter but as spidey he was crap.
Once again, you do realise that Peter Parker Is Spider-man, right? There's no transformation, all he does is wear a costume, it's the same guy, same voice same mannerisms. Any extra confidence will take time to manifest, he won't put on the costume and instantly become a veteran superhero, comfortable in his powers and able to crack-wise with the best. At this stage Peter Parker and Spider-man will be largely indistinguishable from each other - he's only been doing it for at most 2-3 weeks in the film Continuity.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Actually, he did have a couple of wisecracks.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Rye wrote:I thought it was very good, and i would've done very little differently(something i don't usually say once i've seen a film).

EXCEPT

The final battle seemed too anticlimactic for me. Needed something much bigger, like spidey fighting the goblin in a new prototype armour or something, perhaps a nuclear threat that he uses his spidey sense to overcome somehow.
1. Spider-Man or Green Goblin in new combat armour? Either would be a bit silly.

2. A nuclear threat would add nothing new to the plot except for weight, and would be dramatically worthless.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

The best fight of the movie was against Bonesaw.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

I like spiderman... i felt that the last battle was also anti-climatic. I felt that if they fought in the city rather than in a small building that would of been better. I can imagin a huge chase scene with a bird eye view and then scaling in to see the action as spiderman chase down green goblin.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Crazedwraith wrote:<snip>
Because there weren't any damn clones in it!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lonestar wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:<snip>
Because there weren't any damn clones in it!
You really dont like clones, whatever did they do to u?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Crazedwraith wrote:
You really dont like clones, whatever did they do to u?
They plluted and screwed up a franchise for years and years, that's what.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What are you talking about?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

I liked it. I own the DVD. Personally I would have done something different with the Goblin's suit. They could have worked some purple in there somewhere.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What are you talking about?
...If you have to ask....

Marvel did this long...as in multiple years long thing with Spidey-clones. Ugh.
KK
Village Idiot

Post by KK »

I liked the initial concept of the Clone Saga, but it dragged on way too damn long.

If you just pick out certain books and ignore the rest, the story's not that bad.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Rye wrote:I thought it was very good, and i would've done very little differently(something i don't usually say once i've seen a film).

EXCEPT

I also didn't think the way his spidey-sense was portrayed as well as it was in the cartoon that i've not seen for ages.
*Rolls his eyes* You think that adding a nuke threat or GG in new armor would make it BETTER? Those scenario's have been SO overdone and had I seen them in the movie I'd have plain and simple gotten up and left the theatre.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

Mark S wrote:I liked it. I own the DVD. Personally I would have done something different with the Goblin's suit. They could have worked some purple in there somewhere.
They really shouldn't have had him remove those yellow lenses over his when he captured Spider-Man and was trying to recruit him, he just looked plain awful like that.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

It had a GREAT story to it. He got bit by a expermintal spider. He had a great relationship with his Aunt and Uncle. He was nervous little nerd around Mary Jane, and got picked on by the bully. What's not to like? The Osborn side was great too. I think his actions, the fighting all of that was great. It's the best of the Marvel films so far. The final fight was the best though. He's getting punked, he's been beaten, dragged down and bruised. then he turns the tide and they go toe to toe and you really see him shine as Spiderman. The ending is right out of the comic books. Impaled by the glider. It was a stellar movie as far as I'm concerened. I saw it like 5 times in the theaters. My favorite part is when he's swinging through the city. were the camera is on the streets and you look up and spiderman is swinging overhead.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Might have been better if they had done Death of Gwen Stacy instead of the Mary Jane thing. Sure, the comic veterans will realize what the outcome would be, but who DIDN'T guess that he would have both. That would have given the final fight all the drama that it was missing.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick