Some things you just can't imagine happening (anime-related)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

TV Tokyo told Sega (Eva's main sponsor) to cease funding after they received so many complaints and protests from PTA groups for Episode 18 (I think), or they would cancel the series.

After that what remained of their (initially relatively high budget) quickly started to dwindle. Add to that situation the network's censors rejecting Anno's original script for Episode 25 with either two weeks notice or two weeks left, and you get the last two episodes of the series as they aired, telling an alternate ending in place of Anno's original one.

As for the second item, I've never heard anything like that, so I really don't know. That could be another "Eva fan-ism" in all possibility...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:TV Tokyo told Sega (Eva's main sponsor) to cease funding after they received so many complaints and protests from PTA groups for Episode 18 (I think), or they would cancel the series.

After that what remained of their (initially relatively high budget) quickly started to dwindle. Add to that situation the network's censors rejecting Anno's original script for Episode 25 with either two weeks notice or two weeks left, and you get the last two episodes of the series as they aired, telling an alternate ending in place of Anno's original one.

As for the second item, I've never heard anything like that, so I really don't know. That could be another "Eva fan-ism" in all possibility...
?? EP 18 could not have been that bad? could it?
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Some episodes of Eva contained scenes which were quite graphic. Episode 18 is one of the most violent in the series, where one Eva beats another to death and bloodily tears it to shreads.

TV Tokyo was also rather upset that GAiNAX aired graphic scenes in other episodes that hadn't been approved by their censors beforehand. Episodes 19 and 20 are two episodes that I can think of right now that might apply.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Only if you're an idiot, that is...
Well, to be fair, it is full of rediculous biblical and fruedian symbolism, but that doesn't make it a bad series. It's still excellent.

And about the manga; I would argue that it's actually better than the series. For one thing, the anime series didn't know where the hell it was going plotwise for, what, half the series and watched like the series was being written and re-written on the spot as the director got new ideas on how he wanted to handle it.

The manga, however, is a bit better organized and planned out storywise. Because it has the complete story all planned out, it has been executing it better. One of the great things that the manga did was trim the fat episode-wise, getting rid of episodes and plot points that had little relevance to the rest of the series, like the Jet Alone episode. Plus, because it has the story planned out, it has the room to expand on the characters in the story, even the non-essential characters, and give them a history and a depth that the anime doesn't afford them. Who'd have thought that you could actually be sympathetic toward Gendo Ikari of all people? And Kaji? The manga pulls it off.

In the end, it's the NGE with all the useless crap removed from the main plot and better characterization.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I still think it's too different from the anime for it's own good. But that doesn't mean that I won't eventually pick it up (just need to find those damned "special edition" versions...). But I would still regard it lower then the anime for it's differences.

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Being different doesn't make it lower. For instance, alot of it's differences were improvements, like the lack of the Jet Alone incident.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Additionally, I never thought that the religious and psychological (not Freudian) aspects were interesting. Particularly that the religious icons and symbols really don't mean anything.

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:The girl with blue hair is Rei Ayanami, and the red head is Asuka Langley Soryu.
Redhead? Pardon me, but to me her hair always appeared more akin to reddish brown.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Redhead? Pardon me, but to me her hair always appeared more akin to reddish brown.
It depends on who's coloring it what day. Her hair color doesn't seem to stay put, varying from bright red to a sort of golden-orange. It's red enough to call her a redhead (most redheads hair doesn't have a drop of actual red in it, at least not naturally).