Magneto's power

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Magneto's power

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Basically I have a question on the exact nature of Magneto's power.

Does he create magnetic fields (and by extension manipulate them) or just manipulate magnetic fields that already exist?
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I believe he only manipulates pre-existing fields.

Granted, it depends on when you're looking at him; writers aren't very consistent. In a relatively recent issue of Uncanny, he apparantly had control over the entire electromagnetic spectrum, or so he said. I think he was probably bullshitting, but he did use Dazzler's light attacks and turn them back on her and turn her into a pile of dust.
Does anyone know if she survived that?
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Robert Treder wrote:I believe he only manipulates pre-existing fields.

Granted, it depends on when you're looking at him; writers aren't very consistent. In a relatively recent issue of Uncanny, he apparantly had control over the entire electromagnetic spectrum, or so he said. I think he was probably bullshitting, but he did use Dazzler's light attacks and turn them back on her and turn her into a pile of dust.
Does anyone know if she survived that?
Yep she survived. Her being turned into ash was an illusion by Phoenix in a bid to rescue Xavier.

As to Magneto, when last in continuity he had the power to percieve and control all forms of EM radiation. He cannot however create them (and I don't think he ever has been able to).
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

AFAIK: the Dazzler that was destroyed wasn't a telepathic illusion by Phoenix, but a hologram created by Dazzler (yes she can do that and yes she has done that several times before)

Magneto can manipulate all kinds of forces, but magnetism is the easiest to do for him. He has in the past manipulated heat, electricity and gravity amongst other things as well. He has never been described as an energy-generator though.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dizzy D wrote:AFAIK: the Dazzler that was destroyed wasn't a telepathic illusion by Phoenix, but a hologram created by Dazzler (yes she can do that and yes she has done that several times before)
Think about that for a second, if Magneto can percieve and manipulate EM, what use would a Dazzler-created Hologram be? :wink:

Phoenix created a telepathic Illusion so they could smuggle Xavier out.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

Magneto needs to concentrate to see the EM-spectrum: just look at the scene where he has to heal Colossus during Mutant Massacre: he sits down, then concentrates and his view shifts to perceive electro-magnetic forces. (Plus Magneto has never manipulated light as far as I know, otherwise he would be able to turn himself invisible, create illusions etc.)
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dizzy D wrote:Magneto needs to concentrate to see the EM-spectrum: just look at the scene where he has to heal Colossus during Mutant Massacre: he sits down, then concentrates and his view shifts to perceive electro-magnetic forces. (Plus Magneto has never manipulated light as far as I know, otherwise he would be able to turn himself invisible, create illusions etc.)
He did indeed manipulate Dazzlers light beams, but they are some form of Coherent light (Pseudo science to the rescue! :) ) and so may have had a stronger EM field than ordinary defuse light. Best rationalisation I can think of, I'm afraid.

Image Image
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Given the power level I have seen from him, I say he should kick the X Men's arses to the point of them giving up. I don't like the X Men anyway, but Magneto's pretty damn cool.
ShinjiGohan
Padawan Learner

Post by ShinjiGohan »

Superman wrote:Given the power level I have seen from him, I say he should kick the X Men's arses to the point of them giving up. I don't like the X Men anyway, but Magneto's pretty damn cool.
He should kick a lot of of peoples butts. Like ripping the iron from their blood out of the body, or reversing the blood flow, or other things like that.

Heck what good is a lightsaber if Magneto could control it when its in someone elses hands ^.^

Mags is a cool character. As is Apoc, now if they wrote Apoc as they should. ^.^