Best/Worst Comic Book Movies

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Joe
Space Cowboy

Best/Worst Comic Book Movies

Post by Joe »

What is the best comic book movie, and the worst comic book movie, and why? In your opinion, of course.

I would put the original Batman at the top of the list. I know it wasn't extraordinarily faithful to the comic, but I think this one did the best job with the Batman character (and Jack Nicholson as the Joker just rocks so goddamn much I can't stand it).

The worst is Batman & Robin, an easy target.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

For me Best...is damn hard, because it's either Superman 2 or Spiderman.

Right now I say Spiderman. Good movie, stuck very close to source, and set up for later movies very well.

Worst...oi jeebus...ummm....Captain America.

Why...don't ask...it's below most MST3K garbage.

Let's just say Italian Red Skull...and in trying to kill Cap who attached to a rocket, Cap grabs Skull's hand, and in a genius move Skull cuts off HIS hand...not Cap's :roll:
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Re: Best/Worst Comic Book Movies

Post by thecreech »

Durran Korr wrote:
I don't know what i feel the best is but the worst is batman & robin... followed by superman 3 & 4.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I have mixed feelings about Spider-Man. I loved it when it came out but now I feel myself liking movies like Hulk and X2 much better. Maybe it's because I've seen the film so many times.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

This is hard to say.

I like the two Blade movies and they are much, much better than the character ever was in the comics.

I used to really like the first Batman movie but in it's popularity they missed the point. The Joker is supposed to be campy and twistedly funny most of the villans in the later movies are not supposed to be that way. So I sort of resent the first movie because it planted the seeds for Batman Forever (which I really fuckin' hate) and Batman & Robin in which I only like Mr. Freeze.

Superman 1 & 2 are good. If they had a differnt Lois Lane they'd be great.

Oh, I know. Best comic book movie: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. :)

I only saw part of the Captain America movie so can't comment much. I did see the TV movies which sucked. I also saw most of the Hulk tv movies which weren't that good (Daredevil and Thor were horrible. John Rys Davies as the Kingpin) and the Doctor Strange movie which was lame and freaky. The only thing that was cool was the round window to his house.

Men In Black and the Mask are comic book based movies that were good. Never read the comics though.

I'd have to say that at this point Spiderman is the best live action adaptation of a comic, although I enjoy the X-Men movies more.

I thought the Hulk movie seemed a little long and slow to me but I think I'll enjoy it more on DVD because there are so many cool visuals on it.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Durran Korr wrote:What is the best comic book movie, and the worst comic book movie, and why? In your opinion, of course.

I would put the original Batman at the top of the list. I know it wasn't extraordinarily faithful to the comic, but I think this one did the best job with the Batman character (and Jack Nicholson as the Joker just rocks so goddamn much I can't stand it).

I'm going to have to agree with the first Batman being the best. It had style, it was acted well and even though some really strange shit was going on, somehow I just believed it could happen. The Mask would be up there too.

For worst... A couple weeks ago I would have said Captain America. Than I saw The Hulk. After an hour and a half I was thinking, 'Just get to the smashing already!'
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Forgot

The Rocketeer was good (hey, another comic book movie with Jennifer Connelly. You don't suppose she's into comics do you?)

The Shadow - I like this movie although it's not the greatest.

The Phantom - It was okay. At least Billy Zane but some effort into looking the part. Would it have been so hard for someone to do the same to play Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Ghost Rider wrote:For me Best...is damn hard, because it's either Superman 2 or Spiderman.

Right now I say Spiderman. Good movie, stuck very close to source, and set up for later movies very well.

Worst...oi jeebus...ummm....Captain America.

Why...don't ask...it's below most MST3K garbage.

Let's just say Italian Red Skull...and in trying to kill Cap who attached to a rocket, Cap grabs Skull's hand, and in a genius move Skull cuts off HIS hand...not Cap's :roll:
Captain America II is even worse.
I think the best is Spider-man, followed by Batman and X2. The worst recent one is Daredevil, with Hulk a close second.
delicious pies
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I seem to be in the minority about Hulk. I loved it. A lot of people have complained about the long periods of talk and no action in the film, but these scenes had me completely engaged in the film just as much as the action scenes did.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Demiurge wrote: Captain America II is even worse.
THEY MADE A WHAT?! :wtf: :shock:

How?

Wait...don't...I want to preserve that last inkling of sanity.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mark S wrote: For worst... A couple weeks ago I would have said Captain America. Than I saw The Hulk. After an hour and a half I was thinking, 'Just get to the smashing already!'
I don't know. I think the movie was very well made in nearly all aspects except that they missed the point. It's supposed to be a summer popcorn movie. People want to be wowed not go through a long drawn out process of how the pseudo-science works. They must have been afraid of looking like they ripped off the idea from the Spiderman movie so they had to make the Hulk's origin even more convoluted. It's genetic engineering, gamma rays and little nanobots.

Anyway, it was a much more grown up film than I was expecting. I would have thought they would have shot for the 90-100 minute mostly action fx fest since it's summer and it's The Hulk, but I guess I was wrong.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ghost Rider wrote:

How?

I'm pretty sure there were at least two TV films during the 70s/80s. I just remember him being rather buff, having a really light bulletproof sheild and a motorcycle.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Dang. I was just looking at the cast for the second Cap telefilm and
it had Christopher Lee in it.

Plus, Alex Hyde-White had a part as some kid. (As an adult he played Reed Richards in the never released Fantastic Four movie).
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Tsyroc wrote:
Mark S wrote: For worst... A couple weeks ago I would have said Captain America. Than I saw The Hulk. After an hour and a half I was thinking, 'Just get to the smashing already!'
I don't know. I think the movie was very well made in nearly all aspects except that they missed the point. It's supposed to be a summer popcorn movie. People want to be wowed not go through a long drawn out process of how the pseudo-science works. They must have been afraid of looking like they ripped off the idea from the Spiderman movie so they had to make the Hulk's origin even more convoluted. It's genetic engineering, gamma rays and little nanobots.

Anyway, it was a much more grown up film than I was expecting. I would have thought they would have shot for the 90-100 minute mostly action fx fest since it's summer and it's The Hulk, but I guess I was wrong.
I realized what they were trying to do. I just didn't think they did a very good job of it. There are probably many ways that movie could have been edited to make it more engaging. You can still have a smart movie with Banner fighting his inner demons and still keep the audience captured. *shrug* I was bored. I was actually more interested in the little kid across the theater yelling, "Where's Bulk!"
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Tsyroc wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

How?

I'm pretty sure there were at least two TV films during the 70s/80s. I just remember him being rather buff, having a really light bulletproof sheild and a motorcycle.
He was also a pedophile. :lol:
There's a review of this masterpiece on SA.com.
delicious pies
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

MY favorite comic book movie: The Mystery Men

The comic book movie that makes baby Jesus cry: The Fantastic Four.

It's so incredibly bad...it's ass-tastic. :lol:
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mark S wrote: I realized what they were trying to do. I just didn't think they did a very good job of it. There are probably many ways that movie could have been edited to make it more engaging. You can still have a smart movie with Banner fighting his inner demons and still keep the audience captured. *shrug* I was bored. I was actually more interested in the little kid across the theater yelling, "Where's Bulk!"
I don't think they spent that much time with him fighting his inner demons. That might have been interesting, especially if they would have shown more of it. Personally I think they could have completely written David Banner out of the movie, or nearly so, after he got arrested when Bruce was a kid.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Damaramu wrote:MY favorite comic book movie: The Mystery Men

The comic book movie that makes baby Jesus cry: The Fantastic Four.

It's so incredibly bad...it's ass-tastic. :lol:
Yes, Mystery Men was funny.

Does FF really count since it wasn't released?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mark S wrote:

Wasn't there also an unreleased (in the US) Justice League movie? I heard it wasn't that good either.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Tsyroc wrote:I don't think they spent that much time with him fighting his inner demons. That might have been interesting, especially if they would have shown more of it. Personally I think they could have completely written David Banner out of the movie, or nearly so, after he got arrested when Bruce was a kid.
Here here. It was almost as if they kept David Banner in so they could have a superguy for the Hulk to fight at the end.
Last edited by Mark S on 2003-06-28 09:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mark S wrote: Here here. It was almost as if they kept David Banner in so they could have a superguy for the Hulk to fight at they end.
Yep, they tried too hard with his origin. They didn't want to completely mimic the genetic engineering of the Spiderman movie and they certainly couldn't go the Gamma Bomb route :roll: so they go all this convoluted stuff mostly to explain why Bruce Banner was so unique. Then that meant inorder for there to be some villans in the future he had to be as unique as Bruce, couldn't just shoot for that random genetic anomally like they did in the comics.

Now David Banner is set up to basically be, IMO, at least 3 of the Hulk's past adversaries all wrapped in one. The Absorbing Man is obvious. I think he was meant to remind people of Zzzax as well and I'm waiting for when he leaches off of the Hulk enough to be another mean green muscle machine. With that beared and hair they'll end up making him look like the Maestro instead of the Abominaton.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Tsyroc wrote:
Mark S wrote:

Wasn't there also an unreleased (in the US) Justice League movie? I heard it wasn't that good either.
Hmmm

Okay I forget that 90 minutes of my life that went missing.

And yes...bad is a rather light term to that pile.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ghost Rider wrote: Hmmm

Okay I forget that 90 minutes of my life that went missing.

And yes...bad is a rather light term to that pile.
I was being nice since I haven't seen it :D

From what I've heard it was very bad, although didn't it have the Martian Manhunter in it?
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Yep, he was leading the team (consisting of GL Guy Gardner (sorta), the Flash, the Atom, Fire and Ice). The less said, the better.

Best comic movie - Spiderman.

Worst comic movie - It's so very tempting to say the Cap movies, but considering all of the movie spent on that piece of crap that was Batman and Robin, I'll have to give it the crown.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

delicious pies