Batman-esque Characters

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

Batman-esque Characters

Post by RogueIce »

Are there any other superheroes who aren't "superheroes" (IOW, who don't have super powers but are just plain human)?

DareDevil I think comes closest, but I don't count him as much because he enhanced his senses and all.

But, basically, that's why I like Batman the most: he's human, plain and simple. Add to that the whole revenge, outside the law, and the rest of it, just makes the Dark Knight my favorite. So I'd be interested if there are more like him who are written/drawn decently.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

A lot of the time Moon Knight fit into that category. There have been versions of him where he had superpowers but the best ones he was almost a rip-off of Batman in some respects.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:A lot of the time Moon Knight fit into that category. There have been versions of him where he had superpowers but the best ones he was almost a rip-off of Batman in some respects.
Almost a ripoff? He was a Billionaire, had the Moonjet, a sidekick and a mansion outside town with a secret area for his base. If he had worn black instead of white there'd have been a lawsuit! :D
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:A lot of the time Moon Knight fit into that category. There have been versions of him where he had superpowers but the best ones he was almost a rip-off of Batman in some respects.
Almost a ripoff? He was a Billionaire, had the Moonjet, a sidekick and a mansion outside town with a secret area for his base. If he had worn black instead of white there'd have been a lawsuit! :D

Yeah but he was insane with mutliple personalities.....um you could be right. :D

About the only difference was his motivation. I think Marc Spector was motivated by guilt to make up for his life as a mercenary. Bruce Wayne came up with a very fucked up way to deal with his parents death.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Batman-esque Characters

Post by Rob Wilson »

RogueIce wrote:Are there any other superheroes who aren't "superheroes" (IOW, who don't have super powers but are just plain human)?
Guy gardner for a very shorttime had no powers but kept trying to fight crime.

Blue Beetle (Ted Cord) has no powers.

Obviously the extended bat family have no powers. (including Catwoman here)

Oberon, had no powers but aided Mr Miracle (including fighting one of Granny Goodness's students).

Punisher is about the only Marvel character I can think of.

Sam Slade Robohunter had no superpowers, Neither has Judge Dredd.

Other than that i can't think of anyothers of the top of my head
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote: Yeah but he was insane with mutliple personalities.....um you could be right. :D

About the only difference was his motivation. I think Marc Spector was motivated by guilt to make up for his life as a mercenary. Bruce Wayne came up with a very fucked up way to deal with his parents death.
Yeah, now you mention it I think your right on the motivation. I had him as another Hero on a vengance kick, but his was guilt. He used to team up with a Vengance fixated character though, and I'm damned if i can remember who.

Image Image
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

It's hard to come up with characters that don't have at least a little edge.

Captain America and Nomad are supposedly only enhanced to peak human levels although I think that at least Cap demonstrates a bit more than that. He's more like peak human levels at everything without haveing to be built exactly like the normal humans who might be able to compete against him. It's like taking "world class" strength, speed, endurance, quickness etc.. and sticking it in one body and ignoring weight classes.

You might enjoy the Black Panther. He's enhanced (senses, some physically as well) a bit and has a lot of cool high tech stuff.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Panther do not have any superpowers.
delicious pies
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Demiurge wrote:Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Panther do not have any superpowers.
Iron man uses a Powersuit and Black Panther has enhanced Senses and Strength (plus an special suit that protects him).

You're right about Hawkeye though. Also before he got entangled in the Captain Marvel identity, Rick Jones fought crime as a normal person.

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:It's hard to come up with characters that don't have at least a little edge.

Captain America and Nomad are supposedly only enhanced to peak human levels although I think that at least Cap demonstrates a bit more than that. He's more like peak human levels at everything without haveing to be built exactly like the normal humans who might be able to compete against him. It's like taking "world class" strength, speed, endurance, quickness etc.. and sticking it in one body and ignoring weight classes.
Both Cap and Nomad have Enhanced Strenth, reflexes and Endurance. And USAgent was even more beefed up I think. It wasn't called the 'Super Soldier project' for nothing. :wink:

Image Image
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Rob Wilson wrote: Both Cap and Nomad have Enhanced Strenth, reflexes and Endurance. And USAgent was even more beefed up I think. It wasn't called the 'Super Soldier project' for nothing. :wink:
Howabout Union Jack? :P
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Lonestar wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: Both Cap and Nomad have Enhanced Strenth, reflexes and Endurance. And USAgent was even more beefed up I think. It wasn't called the 'Super Soldier project' for nothing. :wink:
Bloody hell, you've got a good memory. I'd completely forgotten about him and his Invaders. He stole the Nazi versio of the Super Soldier serum didn't he? Not as strong as Cap A, so I suppose he would qualify as being almost a normal human. Didn't he die or something?

Image Image
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Bloody hell, you've got a good memory. I'd completely forgotten about him and his Invaders. He stole the Nazi versio of the Super Soldier serum didn't he? Not as strong as Cap A, so I suppose he would qualify as being almost a normal human. Didn't he die or something?
Yeah Union Jack 1 did...so did 2.

But the grandson of UJ1 is still alive and kickin and took up the mantle of Union Jack 3.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ghost Rider wrote: Yeah Union Jack 1 did...so did 2.

But the grandson of UJ1 is still alive and kickin and took up the mantle of Union Jack 3.
I thought Union Jack 1 (Lord Fallsworth) didn't have the super soldier serum but his son UJ2 did (he stole it from the Nazis and was the Destroyer for awhile until UJ2 was injured by Baron Blood). Plus I think UJ2 eventually picked up some lightning powers from a time traveling Thor before he eventually died in a car crash.

I also thought UJ3 wasn't related to the Fallsworths but was a friend of Lady Fallsworth's son (the original UJ's grandson) ?

Anyway, didn't UJ3 pick up some superpowers during the Knights of Pendragon series? I didn't care for all that armor crap much so I didn't keep up with it much.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Tsyroc wrote:

I thought Union Jack 1 (Lord Fallsworth) didn't have the super soldier serum but his son UJ2 did (he stole it from the Nazis and was the Destroyer for awhile until UJ2 was injured by Baron Blood). Plus I think UJ2 eventually picked up some lightning powers from a time traveling Thor before he eventually died in a car crash.

I also thought UJ3 wasn't related to the Fallsworths but was a friend of Lady Fallsworth's son (the original UJ's grandson) ?

Anyway, didn't UJ3 pick up some superpowers during the Knights of Pendragon series? I didn't care for all that armor crap much so I didn't keep up with it much.
Yeah...UJ2 did have powers...oops :P

Hmmm....UJ3...yep is the friend of the grnadson(that's where my mixup came about)

And I forget if he did get powers...but it's probable.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Rob Wilson wrote: Bloody hell, you've got a good memory.

Never underestimate my ability to memorise stuff that has nothing to do with my job.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

The Punisher; my favorite comic character
The entire Stormwatch team
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:

You're getting confused, I knew something was wrong in your summaries but i was damned if I could place what (i just never read enough Cap A stuff), so i swallowed my pride and used the Resources thread to check out Marvel Directory. Here's the Union Jack page. And all will be set straight. :wink:

Image Image
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Was Cable a mutant or just a cyborg?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ahhhh...oi my memory of UJ is certainly a tad off.

Glad I remembered he died during the fight with Baron Blood...whew.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Mark S wrote:Was Cable a mutant or just a cyborg?
He's more of a screwed mutant.

Literally Scott and Maddie's son...but sorta a cyborg because of the Techno-Organic virus...but that's debateable.

Now I believe he's truly gone godlike in Agent X and is pretty much not caring about the T-O virus.

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Mark S wrote:Was Cable a mutant or just a cyborg?
I'll answer that in the catch-up thread. Just give me a minute to sort out the horrible convolutions and write it up. :wink:

Image Image
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Rob Wilson wrote:[
You're getting confused, I knew something was wrong in your summaries but i was damned if I could place what (i just never read enough Cap A stuff), so i swallowed my pride and used the Resources thread to check out Marvel Directory. Here's the Union Jack page. And all will be set straight. :wink:
It looks to match what I said except that I spelled the family name wrong. :D
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:[
It looks to match what I said except that I spelled the family name wrong. :D
I missed the bit about the Electrical bolts, I thought you had confused them with Thor removing the electricity from UJ2, but it does indeed state he had that power after the incident. I still can't think what seemed off about your original summary... must just be that I'm not as well versed in UJ as i am in other characters so I've got confused memories of his appearances that i did read. :oops:

Image Image
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Rob Wilson wrote: I missed the bit about the Electrical bolts, I thought you had confused them with Thor removing the electricity from UJ2, but it does indeed state he had that power after the incident. I still can't think what seemed off about your original summary... must just be that I'm not as well versed in UJ as i am in other characters so I've got confused memories of his appearances that i did read. :oops:
It was the Knights of Pendragon stuff. Us Yanks aint supposed to get them UK titles, especially those where the characters are in rolly polly armor with big round shoulders and helmets. :D

That series really ruined UJ for me. I always liked the original uniform but someone decided it was too much like what some of the soccer hooligans were wearing :wtf: . Fine, the next version of UJ's uniform that I saw in Byrne's run on Namor was acceptable but that red & blue monstrosity of KoP ~shudder~

After that I just had to write him off and hope that no one screwed up Captain Britain too much. :D
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.