What's up with Mutant Healing?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

What's up with Mutant Healing?

Post by RogueIce »

It seems to me that there are a number of characters with mutant healing abilities: Wolverine, Deadpool, Sabretooth (pretty sure) and Deathstryke (so I gathered). Probably others I can't think of off the top of my head as well.

But how many others can control weather? Shoot lasers from their eyes? Control the magnetic field? And so on...

There seem to be at least a few psychics and telepaths out there...but aside from that, I don't see many mutants with others who have similar/identical abilities.

Now, I'll admit there are a ton of them out there, and I have probably not even seen the half of them back when I was really reading X-men and the like. So can anyone explain this, or shoot me down if I've missed something?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: What's up with Mutant Healing?

Post by Tsyroc »

RogueIce wrote:It seems to me that there are a number of characters with mutant healing abilities: Wolverine, Deadpool, Sabretooth (pretty sure) and Deathstryke (so I gathered). Probably others I can't think of off the top of my head as well.
Deadpool isn't a mutant. The comic version of Lady Deathstryke isn't either, she's a cyborg made from a completely normal woman.

The Beast heals faster than normal in his furry form but not in the Wolverine/Sabretooth range except when he first was using a formula to make himself furry.

Wildchild at one time was similar to Wolverine & Sabertooth but I haven't kept up with him enough to be certain he's a mutant. He was in the Age of Apocalypse but some other stuff later suggested he was given his powers.
RogueIce wrote:But how many others can control weather? Shoot lasers from their eyes? Control the magnetic field? And so on...
Out of those there are two mutants who can control magnetic fields, Magneto and Polaris, although Magneto is much more powerful than Polaris. I don't think there are others that duplicate the powers of Storm and Cyclops.
RogueIce wrote: There seem to be at least a few psychics and telepaths out there...but aside from that, I don't see many mutants with others who have similar/identical abilities.

Now, I'll admit there are a ton of them out there, and I have probably not even seen the half of them back when I was really reading X-men and the like. So can anyone explain this, or shoot me down if I've missed something?
There are somethings that are more common. Thunderbird and Warpath, being brothers, had similar abilities but I think that other than the telepaths/telekentics the majority of mutants are somewhat unique. I would guess this is because it's more interesting for the writers and artists.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Those with Accelerated Healing Factors that I know of :

Wolverine.
Sabretooth.
Deadpool.
Agent X.
ArchAngel (Austen seems to have lost the plot there :? )
Mimic.
Beast.

However members of the Weapon X programme recieved transfusions of the Healing Factor from Logan to increase their resistance to damage and stop them aging.

As to the proliferation of powers. Well the most prolific is telepathy :

Charles Xavier.
Jean Grey.
Emma Frost.
Nate Summers/Cable/Stryfe.
Psylocke.
Stepford Cuckoo's
Mastermynd.
Lady Mastermynd.
Quentin Quires.
Shadow King.
Legion.
Proteus.
GamesMaster.

That's only a small sample of Telepaths (of varying strengths) associated only with the X-men line of books. There's a fair few others i the rest of the Marvel Universe (Hell S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.T.R.I.K.E both had Telepathy divisions stocked with vary-grade telepaths and TK's). :wink:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote: Deadpool isn't a mutant.
He isn't a mutant, but as part of the Weapon X programme he was a test subject to see if they couldn't replicate Wolverines mutant healing factor artificially. While he got a healing factor it wasn't under control and left his skin and face a mess (hence the mask). He was captured and experimented on in an effort to use his Healing Factor to help cure the Legacy virus.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Tsyroc wrote: Deadpool isn't a mutant.
He isn't a mutant, but as part of the Weapon X programme he was a test subject to see if they couldn't replicate Wolverines mutant healing factor artificially. While he got a healing factor it wasn't under control and left his skin and face a mess (hence the mask). He was captured and experimented on in an effort to use his Healing Factor to help cure the Legacy virus.
I missed that part...

Thanks. :D

So, why would Healing and Telepathy be more common than, say, laser eyes, weather control, teleporting (I think there are duplicates, not sure, and I guess going through walls could technically be considered a form of it), sucking life force (or whatever you call it for Rogue), making stuff go boom (Gambit), etc...?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

RogueIce wrote: So, why would Healing and Telepathy be more common than, say, laser eyes, weather control, teleporting (I think there are duplicates, not sure, and I guess going through walls could technically be considered a form of it), sucking life force (or whatever you call it for Rogue), making stuff go boom (Gambit), etc...?
I haven't a clue. The general theme seems to be, if you get an Animal based mutation you get at the very least accelerated Healing. Some others get it because their Cellular structure was changed (Hulk has a massively powerful Healing Factor - stronger than Wolverines by quite some margin, as he had his body reduced to very small amounts of Muscle avor a skeleton and still recovered in less than a minute or two).

As to telepathy... call it a brainbug. :D

I recent issues of X-men, it's become obvious that the Mutant population is increasing exponentially with every generation, so it's not inconcievable to see more duplication down the road.

Image Image
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rob Wilson wrote:I haven't a clue. The general theme seems to be, if you get an Animal based mutation you get at the very least accelerated Healing. Some others get it because their Cellular structure was changed (Hulk has a massively powerful Healing Factor - stronger than Wolverines by quite some margin, as he had his body reduced to very small amounts of Muscle avor a skeleton and still recovered in less than a minute or two).
And where/when was this? That would be most interesting...
Rob Wilson wrote:As to telepathy... call it a brainbug. :D
:lol:
Rob Wilson wrote:I recent issues of X-men, it's become obvious that the Mutant population is increasing exponentially with every generation, so it's not inconcievable to see more duplication down the road.
Sounds good. Either that or we're gonna see some very inventive authors...

BTW, with so many mutants, I can only imagine one would see a fairly limited amount as compared to the total population, even with all the many books. So, where are the others, and how do they manage to go unseen? And why would they choose to be unnoticed, rather than a superhero/villian, since I imagine the X-Men, Spider Man, Hulk, and all the rest must recive some pretty big news spots often.

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

RogueIce wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:I haven't a clue. The general theme seems to be, if you get an Animal based mutation you get at the very least accelerated Healing. Some others get it because their Cellular structure was changed (Hulk has a massively powerful Healing Factor - stronger than Wolverines by quite some margin, as he had his body reduced to very small amounts of Muscle avor a skeleton and still recovered in less than a minute or two).
And where/when was this? That would be most interesting...
When he was part of the Pantheon, about #398 or thereabouts. He faces the U-Foes and X-ray hits him with a full telekinetic blast, Hulk moves forward against it and it rips off his skin. He keeps going and it starts to peel off the layers of Muscle. Eventually he reaches X-ray and Punches him, by this point a skeleton with a thn covering of muscle and the organs still intact inside the ribcage etc. Whilst threatening the other U-foes you see his body heal until he's back to normal (though naked) in the space of a minute or two.
RogueIce wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:I recent issues of X-men, it's become obvious that the Mutant population is increasing exponentially with every generation, so it's not inconcievable to see more duplication down the road.
Sounds good. Either that or we're gonna see some very inventive authors...

BTW, with so many mutants, I can only imagine one would see a fairly limited amount as compared to the total population, even with all the many books. So, where are the others, and how do they manage to go unseen? And why would they choose to be unnoticed, rather than a superhero/villian, since I imagine the X-Men, Spider Man, Hulk, and all the rest must recive some pretty big news spots often.
Actually in New X-men Charles Xavier has outted himself as a mutant and openly declares the School as open to new Mutant students. There's press days and everything. Grant Morrison has gone to ton on the range of Mutant Students (over 20 named ones, with loads more seen in the background). Also Xavier has founded the X-corps, an organisation with branches around the world where trained mutants can aid civil authorities in disaster relief work and also find young mutants and sent them to the schools (this also allows Morrison to air out some of the forgotten X-team members of old). Whenever Chuck Austen can remember these elements are reflected in Uncanny X-men as well.

To get on the boat now, your best bet is to start reading New X-men from #113 and Uncanny from #410. If you can only afford to follow one book, get New X-men.

Image Image
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rob Wilson wrote:Actually in New X-men Charles Xavier has outted himself as a mutant and openly declares the School as open to new Mutant students. There's press days and everything. Grant Morrison has gone to ton on the range of Mutant Students (over 20 named ones, with loads more seen in the background). Also Xavier has founded the X-corps, an organisation with branches around the world where trained mutants can aid civil authorities in disaster relief work and also find young mutants and sent them to the schools (this also allows Morrison to air out some of the forgotten X-team members of old). Whenever Chuck Austen can remember these elements are reflected in Uncanny X-men as well.
Excellent. While the whole "defending society even though it hates them" theme was awesome, it did stretch credibility after awhile...I'm sure there are probably still isolated segments, but by now I can imagine they'd be more accepted after saving life time and again.

I guess I can still believe it with Batman though...he is a vigilante, so if nothing else, the police would still take issue with him (especially isolated parts of them, Bat Signal notwithstanding). Plus, if he goes around killing and stuff...haven't read much of his comics, but that's probably why I liked Mask of the Phantasm so much.
Rob Wilson wrote:To get on the boat now, your best bet is to start reading New X-men from #113 and Uncanny from #410. If you can only afford to follow one book, get New X-men.
I hope the newstands (as they are now) have them. Or a bookstore (ie Barnes & Noble-esque). Otherwise, I have to try and find a local comic book store...unless they're buyable online... *ponders*

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

RogueIce wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:To get on the boat now, your best bet is to start reading New X-men from #113 and Uncanny from #410. If you can only afford to follow one book, get New X-men.
I hope the newstands (as they are now) have them. Or a bookstore (ie Barnes & Noble-esque). Otherwise, I have to try and find a local comic book store...unless they're buyable online... *ponders*
well the Current issues of both are New X-men 142, and Uncanny 426. The issues I named above are when both started the new direction.

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Rob Wilson wrote: well the Current issues of both are New X-men 142, and Uncanny 426. The issues I named above are when both started the new direction.
If however you are daunted by the thought of hunting down the individual issuses, then get the 4 TPB's listed below as they will take you upto New X-men #138

New X-men Vol 1 : E is for extinction.
New X-men Vol 2 : Imperial.
New X-men Vol 3 : New Worlds.
New X-men Vol 4 : Riot at Xaviers.

Image Image
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Didn't it turn out that Logan and Creed were related? I'm not very sure on that at all but I thought there was a comic out there somewhere that showed Wolverine as a kid in the pioneer days and Creed was his father. *shrug*

One I DO know though is that Polaris is one of Magnito's children. That's why she has magnetic power like his.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Mark S wrote:Didn't it turn out that Logan and Creed were related? I'm not very sure on that at all but I thought there was a comic out there somewhere that showed Wolverine as a kid in the pioneer days and Creed was his father. *shrug*
Flase implanted memory...seriously
One I DO know though is that Polaris is one of Magnito's children. That's why she has magnetic power like his.
She thought she was...later it was proven false.

Seriously his only three kids are Anya, Pietro, and Wanda(all of whom never had anything Magnetic related....then again Franklin richards has god powers from an inviso woman and stretchy dad)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Mark S wrote:Didn't it turn out that Logan and Creed were related? I'm not very sure on that at all but I thought there was a comic out there somewhere that showed Wolverine as a kid in the pioneer days and Creed was his father. *shrug*
Flase implanted memory...seriously
She thought she was...later it was proven false.

Seriously his only three kids are Anya, Pietro, and Wanda(all of whom never had anything Magnetic related....then again Franklin richards has god powers from an inviso woman and stretchy dad)
Well suck me sideways! I stand corrected on both counts. That's what I get for stopping my collection and thinking things in the comic world would hold the status quo. :oops: :lol:
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Mark S wrote:
Well suck me sideways! I stand corrected on both counts. That's what I get for stopping my collection and thinking things in the comic world would hold the status quo. :oops: :lol:
Oh I know that feeling :D :wink: ...took me about a year to catch with some odd DC stuff around 1985...thank god my friend, Dave is just as insane as I am about comics.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Though this should probably be in the catching up woth Titles thread:

Logan, Sabretooth, Maverick, Mastodon, Silver Fox were all in the Weapon X programme together. They all joined voluntarily, but didn't know about the Brainwashing that was to follow. A Mutant call Psi-borg entered their minds and with the help of physical sets (think Mission:Impossible) implanted hundreds of interconnecting false memories to produce tensions and personalities the Weapon X people wanted.

When the Anti-aging effect of Logans blood wore off, they all went hunting for the Programme HQ and Scientists to find out what th hell was going wrong (and we thn found out their Healing factors and anit-aging came from Logan, something none of them new uptil then.).

A series of Androids called Shiva, were released as a failsafe to remove all traces of Weapon X operatives, but they were destroyed by the mutants. They find the HQ and the Sets and discover all about the Implants. Psi-borg is kiled and all hope of getting their true memories back is lost.

Move forward to 2002 and Marvel release the Origin Limited Series, in this we find out who 'Logan' really is (won't spoil it for those that want to read it), and who his father and mother really were.

Onto Mags and Polaris. She was brainwashed into believing Mas was her father. When she found out the truth, she spent her free time helping out the mutant population of Genosha. When Cassandra Nova hit the island nation, the trauma of witnessing 16, million deaths and her previous brainwashing left Polaris the wrong side of unbalanced. :wink:

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Mark S wrote: Well suck me sideways! I stand corrected on both counts. That's what I get for stopping my collection and thinking things in the comic world would hold the status quo. :oops: :lol:
If there's anything you want to know about Mags, logan or any other comic characters put a request in the Comic Title Catchup thread and I'm sure we'll sort you out. :wink:

Image Image