snape

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

snape

Post by Enforcer Talen »

why isnt he teaching defense against the dark arts? I mean, he has to be better then attention whore of book 2 and pyscho bitch of book 5.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I think that's just going to be something they'll dangle before us.

Maybe at the end of book 7?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

*begins very mild spoilers*

I mean, he knew more curses then a 7th yr when he showed up, and hes been a death eater. he knows his stuff.

-thinks- wasnt he going on a mission at the end of book four? did he do anything during the intro of 5?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Its part of his cover in all likelihood, since his having been a Death-Eater isn't supposed to be common knowledge. Also, the added frustration from the continued denial would make the Death -Eaters trust him alittle more probabl, since it would be easy to believe that he would cheerfully screw over Dumbledore and co. after being blatantly passed over like that.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I also think that he's really really good at potions.

Lupin mentined that there were probably only about 4 or 5 magic users that could make the potion that Snape was making for him to help control lycanthropy.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

He'll probably teach it in one of the next books. Dumbledore wouldn't want to have another Ministry of Magic appointee. If I were in Dumbledore's shoes, Snape would get the job.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm waiting for Dumbledore to teach it himself, except he could be too busy. I suppose now that the Ministry is well aware of Voldemort being back that Dumbledore might have just enough time to make sure his students are trained in defense but he might leave that up to Harry's class since it's bipassed scumbags like Malfoy and his crew.

I'm kind of doubtful that another appointee will end up in the position. The Ministry is going to be busy and Dumbledore has pretty much put them back in their place.

By the way, does anyonre remember what happened to Dumbledore's brother? He was in the picture that Mad Eye Moody showed Harry and I couldn't remember what had previously been said about him.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Tsyroc wrote:I'm waiting for Dumbledore to teach it himself, except he could be too busy. I suppose now that the Ministry is well aware of Voldemort being back that Dumbledore might have just enough time to make sure his students are trained in defense but he might leave that up to Harry's class since it's bipassed scumbags like Malfoy and his crew.

I'm kind of doubtful that another appointee will end up in the position. The Ministry is going to be busy and Dumbledore has pretty much put them back in their place.

By the way, does anyonre remember what happened to Dumbledore's brother? He was in the picture that Mad Eye Moody showed Harry and I couldn't remember what had previously been said about him.
Arrested for inappropriate charms on a goat...

Snape IS good with potions... He also knows how to mix Veritaserum, which seems to be in short supply.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Exonerate wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:
Arrested for inappropriate charms on a goat...

Hmmm, do you suppose they put you in prison with all those dementors for something like that.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

I'm just falling down on the side of "he's really really good at potions"

and maybe it's just a rumour that he wants the job anyway.

What i dio want to know is: there are two aurors in The Order - why not someone like Tonks? Or will she be book 6 (and Harry himself in book 7)
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I'm think it's just because he's good at potions too, though it also could be a political move. It may be known to some important people that Snape was a Death Eater, and there would be hell to pay if a Death Eater, even one that abandoned them, would be responsible for teaching how to defend against the Dark Arts. In the fifth book, when Umbridge is harrassing the teachers as High Inquisitor, it is mentioned that Snape applied for a teachers position at Hogwarts and kept getting denied until he applied for the Potions position. While Dumbledore isn't politically driven and obviously trusts Snape implicitly, it doesn't look like he was willing to give Snape the Defense Against the Dark Arts class for whatever reason.

Next year they will undoubtably have a new teacher as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. All the likely players that could do it are far to busy dealing with old Voldy to possibly resume the job.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Do we know exactly how talented a wizard Snape is? Could it be that he became a Death Eater in part because of a lack of natural magical ability? This would seem to be a possibility that explains a lot of what we saw in Snape's memory. He is more of the bookish type, and magic doesn't come easily, and even worse he is bullied by James Potter. His one gift is a skill with potions, where a more academic approach is needed.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Maybe a Dark Wizard detector will be part of the cirriculum.:

*detector starts beeping and points towards the teacher*
SNAPE:"Obviously a malfunction" :lol:
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Alex Moon wrote:Do we know exactly how talented a wizard Snape is? Could it be that he became a Death Eater in part because of a lack of natural magical ability? This would seem to be a possibility that explains a lot of what we saw in Snape's memory. He is more of the bookish type, and magic doesn't come easily, and even worse he is bullied by James Potter. His one gift is a skill with potions, where a more academic approach is needed.
Going by what was revealed in the third book, appearantly he was quite talented, just massively anti-social.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Fifth book also mentions that Snape and James Potter were right at the top of every class.

I expect the reason that he hasn't been given the post yet will be revealed at some point in the future, he's one of the most complex characters in the book (or at least, of the ones whose characters are being revealed)
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Vendetta wrote:Fifth book also mentions that Snape and James Potter were right at the top of every class.
Yes, but Hermione is top of every class, and she's not as magically gifted as Harry, for example. "Books! And cleverness!"

Potions is just a special kind of chemistry, while Defence Against the Dark Arts requires a range of abilities and knowledge (you'll notice it combines elements from Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Transfiguration and Potions, but especially Charms - after all what exactlty are jinxes and curses?).
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth Gojira wrote:Maybe a Dark Wizard detector will be part of the cirriculum.:

*detector starts beeping and points towards the teacher*
SNAPE:"Obviously a malfunction" :lol:
If something like that happene I know I would be laughing.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I'm gonna be going with what msot people are saying at this, there are few people better than him in Potions, but in terms of Defense against the Dark Arts, obviously there are many people that are better for the job or Snape would have gotten the job. Not to mention Dumbledore no doubt has plans for Snape...I mean when does he not have every little detail planned Spoiler: For instance I wouldn't be surprised if Umbridge becoming Headmaster had been a part of his plan.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
TrekWarsie
Padawan Learner

Post by TrekWarsie »

I remember them saying that Snape was particularly talented in the Dark Arts, but not in much else. He'd probably be a pretty good teacher of Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

TrekWarsie wrote:I remember them saying that Snape was particularly talented in the Dark Arts, but not in much else. He'd probably be a pretty good teacher of Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Well, considering that for over 5 years (He's been trying for the job every year.) he's been trying to get the job, SOMETHING must be up and the only reasons I can think of is that a)He's too good at Potions for Dumbledore to want to find a replacement for him. b)Something is up and Dumbledore either doesn't want Snape to teach the class or has a more important role for him as the Potions teacher.