Elseworlds

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:
Demiurge wrote:Batman: The Killing Joke is an excellent Joker story written by Alan Moore. I actually like it even more than Year One.

"....when I get half way across you'll turn off the flashlight". :)

It is a good story.

Some other good Batman stuff:

Son of the Demon
Bride of the Demon
Birth of the Demon

All have to do with Ra's al Ghul
Ah, classic Denny O'neill, good choice that man.
Tsyroc wrote:I liked the idea behind Batman: Red Rain and it's sequels but I don't care for the artwork.
yes, Malcolm Jones III is an aquired taste, I wasn't too fond of his work on Sandman either.
You read any ot the other Batman Elseworld books? Gotham By Gaslight, Master of the Future. There's lso the one where Bruse Wayne was an Orphan adopted by the Waynes after his ship crashes outside Gotham :twisted:, and the One with a female Batman (the names of those two escape me as i have no access to my Collections right now).
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Rob Wilson wrote: You read any ot the other Batman Elseworld books? Gotham By Gaslight, Master of the Future. There's lso the one where Bruse Wayne was an Orphan adopted by the Waynes after his ship crashes outside Gotham :twisted:, and the One with a female Batman (the names of those two escape me as i have no access to my Collections right now).
I don't recall reading one with a female Batman but I do like the Elseworlds books in general. The Batman related ones tend to be the best especially Gotham By Gaslight and Master of the World. I think there was a third one with that character where he teams up with Tarzan.

Kal-El becoming Batman was good. Bruce Wayne getting Abin Sur's power ring was also good. One of my favorites it Batman: Holy Terror. The premise is that Oliver Cromwell lived several years longer than he did in real life and remained in power. The US, GB and much of the world is dominated by a very powerfull very religous empire.

Superman raised on Apocalips was okay.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Tsyroc wrote: Kal-El becoming Batman was good. Bruce Wayne getting Abin Sur's power ring was also good. One of my favorites it Batman: Holy Terror. The premise is that Oliver Cromwell lived several years longer than he did in real life and remained in power. The US, GB and much of the world is dominated by a very powerfull very religous empire.
YES! Someone else who likes Holy Terror or remembers it :P

I liked the outfit's design better as well...though the car was too batty for me.
Superman raised on Apocalips was okay.
My only deal is that one could've lead to a truly good EVIL Superman(sure maybe Orion takes him down in the end)...but I would've enjoyed it a little bit more if he didn't revert to form in end.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Marvel's Ultimate X-Men we,ve just finish tommorrows ppl here in britian.
I also like ultimate spider-man but its gone downhill as they been putting orginal Uk stories now instead of just the U.S orginals
Where are you getting them from? I'm Uk and am having a hell of a time (My Ultimate X-men are upto return of the King part 1, and I had to get the Ultimate Spiderman TPB.).
Um im getting them from a newsagent. Are u reading imports then? or the panini comics reprints? Tommorows people where the first 6 issues of ultimate and the 3 of panini's reprints
I got my Ultimate X-men when I went to London for Work and spent a long and expnsive afternoon in Forbidden Planet. :wink:

But the local Newsagents round here have a poor selection and no Ultimates. I might consider taking a subscription from Forbidden Planet, but I'm still after the original issues where possible.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: You read any ot the other Batman Elseworld books? Gotham By Gaslight, Master of the Future. There's lso the one where Bruse Wayne was an Orphan adopted by the Waynes after his ship crashes outside Gotham :twisted:, and the One with a female Batman (the names of those two escape me as i have no access to my Collections right now).
I don't recall reading one with a female Batman but I do like the Elseworlds books in general.
I think it was called Finest, or Worlds Finest or something. Here's a picture from my HDD collection.

Image Image
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I have Gotham by Candlelight somewhere, I loved the story. I had this one Elseworlds where Batman was a knight during the dark ages. Damn my brother for taking it and not giving it back!
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Rob Wilson wrote: I think it was called Finest, or Worlds Finest or something. Here's a picture from my HDD collection.
Looks cool. I've never run into it otherwise the I'd have bought it. :)

I also have the second part of an Elseworlds where Kal-El is raised by R.J. Brande in the Legion of Superheros time period. I never got the first one which kind of messes things up.

On your previous comments about Holy Terror. I really liked that version of his Batman outfit too. It's funny that his father had worn it as a demon in a passion play.

I see what you mean about the batmobile in that one but I think it was intentionally exaggerated to make it spookier. It certainly had a lot of flame shooting out the back.

I think Holy Terror was the first actual Elseworld title I bought. They were pretty new at the time.

Speaking of Bat-costumes. Wasn't there an Elseworlds where Ra's al Ghul takes over the Batcave after Batman is dead and finds all of these discarded designs for Batman costumes. He then uses them for his own warriors/assasins. I believe there was a book around the same time that just published the designs.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Brotherhood of the Bat.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Aya wrote:Brotherhood of the Bat.
Thanks, that's the one with all the different Batman costumes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Brotherhood was cool, butI really wished it was Bat's son, as well as a 2 parter.

It just ended way too suddenly.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Ghost Rider wrote:Brotherhood was cool, butI really wished it was Bat's son, as well as a 2 parter.

It just ended way too suddenly.
Then get ready for some fun, because i found a site that lists all the elseworlds, and there was a sequel (a two-part sequel at that), Go check the Comic Resources thread, I'm going to put up a link there.

What annoys me is that for their 96 eventm DC annuals all did Elseworld stories! And this happened almost immediately AFTER I stopped collecting... it's a conspiracy I tells ya. The best story title by far coming from L.E.G.I.O.N. 96 Annual - WomanMan and Girl the Boy Wonder.
Classic. :D

Image Image
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Golden Age was a pretty cool Elseworlds. The identity of the main villian was kinda cheesy, but actually made a kind of sense, considering that his partner was the Ultra-Humanite.

Superman/Batman: Generations is kinda amusing. It's done by John Byrne, and I've only read the first series, and haven't seen any collections for the second one yet. It's about Superman and Batman starting their careers in 1939, and continuing on up to the present, with them actually aging normally.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

ZShade wrote:Golden Age was a pretty cool Elseworlds. The identity of the main villian was kinda cheesy, but actually made a kind of sense, considering that his partner was the Ultra-Humanite.

Superman/Batman: Generations is kinda amusing. It's done by John Byrne, and I've only read the first series, and haven't seen any collections for the second one yet. It's about Superman and Batman starting their careers in 1939, and continuing on up to the present, with them actually aging normally.
I liked both of those especially Generations.

I would have liked Golden Age better if I new more of those character more thoroughly. It has gotten me more interested in the JSA.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Tsyroc wrote:
ZShade wrote:Golden Age was a pretty cool Elseworlds. The identity of the main villian was kinda cheesy, but actually made a kind of sense, considering that his partner was the Ultra-Humanite.

I liked both of those especially Generations.

I would have liked Golden Age better if I new more of those character more thoroughly. It has gotten me more interested in the JSA.
Perhaps someone here would like to do an Elseworlds Fanfic? Maybe use this thread to garner idea's?

Image Image