So...anyone going to ComicCon in SD?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

So...anyone going to ComicCon in SD?

Post by Lonestar »

Or am I the only Ubergeek here?

(Course, I live there.)

http://www.comic-con.org/

It's the world's largest Comic convention. I've only been to one other (in Ft. Worth), and I suspect it'll be one of those "amoungst the unwashed things" again, but it'll sure to be a sight.

If anyone goes we could mutate it until a sd.netfest.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Would actually like to...unfortunatly taking 3 days off for a con isn't that easy right now.

For me or my friend...and transporting stuff would be a bitch.

Seriously transporting the booth gear to Pittsburgh(and hopefully Philly next year) is hard enough, by car.

By mail(did it for a NY con) is beyond stupifiyingly hard.....but one day...one day.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ghost Rider wrote:Would actually like to...unfortunatly taking 3 days off for a con isn't that easy right now.

Seriously transporting the booth gear to Pittsburgh(and hopefully Philly next year) is hard enough, by car.

By mail(did it for a NY con) is beyond stupifiyingly hard.....but one day...one day.
Booth? What for?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Lonestar wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Would actually like to...unfortunatly taking 3 days off for a con isn't that easy right now.

Booth? What for?
Me and friend publish a small indie book...mostly why I go to cons :P

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Yeah? What's it about?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Small fantasy book.

We still do it...longest running problem was funding(ah the weird stories I can regale), now that's being solved more or less because the Publisher(my friend Dave has a better job and repaired his credit history....mostly because I loaned him some money).

We hope to do a Trade of all 12 issues by next year.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: So...anyone going to ComicCon in SD?

Post by Tsyroc »

Lonestar wrote:Or am I the only Ubergeek here?

(Course, I live there.)

It's the world's largest Comic convention. I've only been to one other (in Ft. Worth), and I suspect it'll be one of those "amoungst the unwashed things" again, but it'll sure to be a sight.

I'm not planning on it but I did go to one day of it when I happened to be temporarilly assigned to school in San Diego at just the right time.

I enjoyed it. I was really into comics at the time but I've never been much for fawning over people, getting pictures and autographs, that sort of thing. Still, it's kind of cool to meet or at least see some of the people whose work you've been enjoying for years.

One of the things I liked the best was going to the special events. I saw presentations by Clive Barker, William Shatner and Francis Ford Coppala (stuff from his Dracula movie) all in that one day. The Comicon seems to be one of the places to show very early clips from upcoming movies so you can look for those.

There's always lots of stuff to buy and see. Lots of stuff is given away as well. One of my favorites was a signed card by Joe Jusko from the first Marvel Masterpieces collector's card set.

I was trying to think what comic characters they had people dressed up as and all I could think of was the actress dressed as Vampirella :twisted: and then I remember they had their staged arrival with a guy made up to be Chapel.

Todd McFarlane had his Spawn drag racer there for people to look at.

So, there's tons to see but if you are going every day then get your tickets ahead of time so they are cheaper.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

so...what's the story?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Okay...for long story short.

A world that is split between day and night by a 500 year old curse that was basically their version of Armageddon.

The story takes place during the year of the Prophecy which that world can be made whole...and with a variety of groups that want this to happen for their own reason. The main story follows a group of people who are connected by the prophecy but are adventuring for their own reason.

This is about as plain as I can get without going longwinded and confusing.

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: So...anyone going to ComicCon in SD?

Post by Rob Wilson »

Lonestar wrote:Or am I the only Ubergeek here?

(Course, I live there.)

Colins going I think, I'm trying to get everything done so I'll have the time off. I'll know in a couple of weeks if it's going to happen or not.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Yeah, the shop I work at will be setting up there. Bedrock City Comics (As Seen On TV!)....keep an eye out for us! :P
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sweet.

Next year...I'm going...hell or highwater...mostly as vacation time.

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Ghost Rider wrote:Sweet.

Next year...I'm going...hell or highwater...mostly as vacation time.
It's lloking like the only way I'll get there is if I take out an Open Busines ticket so when this fucking current project finishes i can just go straight to the airport and hpefully get there while the shows still running. Still won't know for a little while if that's a likelihood. :(
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back