Comic recommendations

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Comic recommendations

Post by Rob Wilson »

Well? Not just mainstream, lets see Indie and Manga recomendations as well.

My recommendation to others would be:
Queen and Country; good read, not too close to reality in it's depictions of military/Intel work but it does a good enough job to fool the casual reader.

New X-men; Grant Morrisons having a fine time being unconventional with the supergroup of mutants. :wink:

Exiles; off kilter and a fun read. Alternate versions of current Marvel characters getting used to play with characterisation writing.

Black Panther : I only have a few of these, but Christopher Priest is writing some shithot stuff.

2000AD; after 20+ years still the best out there, and where all those fast rising Brit writers/artists currently dominating Marvel and DC learnt their trade.

Judge Dredd the Megazine : a monthly comic rather than 2000AD's weekly, but a good lok at Dredd and his world, with some strong storylines in recent months.

Captain Marvel (PAD); This is another one that I only manage to get occasionally here in the UK, but Peter David just doesn't know how to write a bad comic.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Comic recommendations

Post by Lonestar »

Rob Wilson wrote:Well? Not just mainstream, lets see Indie and Manga recomendations as well.

My recommendation to others would be:
<snip>

Captain Marvel (PAD); This is another one that I only manage to get occasionally here in the UK, but Peter David just doesn't know how to write a bad comic.
Oh yeah.

I'd also recommend anything with "Ultimate" in the Title, especially as Brian Michael Bendis seems to be taking over all the titles.

"Powers" Kicks ass.

JMS is doing an interesting job with "Amazing Spider-Man". Not sure about the whole Totem thing, but I'll see how his serialized story plays out.

and finally...

"Y: The Last man". There was a discussing of the "Y-bomb" over at spacebattles that reached 4 pages without mentioning this comic. Every male on Earth with the Y chromsome dies, except for one Yorick Brown and the Capuchin he was training to be a helper monkey. Hilarity and sad stories ensue.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Okay a few of my current.

1. Astro City: seriously just such a sweet book(a good amount of trades)

2. Lucifer: A very cruel SOB but done well...some lulls but most of the time they show you why it lulled.

There are some past classic stuff, but these are two other current pieces I give recommends to(Captain Marvel, Y the Last man, and Spiderman are mentioned and worth it)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I like a lot of the ones already mentioned so I'll add some different ones.

The League of Extraordianary Gentlemen is pretty good. I mainly like it because of how it puts all of those classic literary characters together.

Top 10

The Planetary (how can I not like a series where the "FF" are the villans)

and if you can find the issues or the TPBs, Miracleman (aka Marvelman).
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Bone

Liberty Meadows

The Earth X series. (Earth X, Universe X, Paradise X)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Domu: A Child's Dream by Katsuhiro Otomo. First serialised in 1980, two years before he started Akira, Domu seems almost like a prototype to his most famous work, the primarly link being enormously destructive psychic powers.

I also thought Maus and Maus II were excellent.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike. 8)
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Aya wrote:Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike. 8)
And Akira. Both are in large multi-volume translated TPB.

And while we're on the TPB, get The first Authority collections, The Invisibles, All the Transmetropolitans, The Top 10 (Alan Moore = God), JLI by DeMattias, and the Sandman Collections by Neil Gaiman.
Also if you can find them, the early issues of Animal Man written by Grant Morrison, Suicide squad (the first volumes), Shade the Changing Man, Swamp Thing and for some daft stuff check out Barry Weens boy genius. :wink:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Also for other essential things:

The Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen(where Moore really got his largest leap/start)

Also an old Fave(about 2/3 in TPB) Starman.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Ghost Rider wrote:Also for other essential things:

The Dark Knight Returns
Doh! also BatMan : Year One, Prey, Year two and A death in the Family.
Ghost Rider wrote:Watchmen(where Moore really got his largest leap/start)
Well if it's his first set of works for a large company that got collected your after, then it's Skizz, also an excellent read.
Ghost Rider wrote:Also an old Fave(about 2/3 in TPB) Starman.
The Ostrander Starman? That's available?

Image Image
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Watchmen(where Moore really got his largest leap/start)
Well if it's his first set of works for a large company that got collected your after, then it's Skizz, also an excellent read.
I did and it's good...he actually at one point had a future of DC like KC. Going to have hunt for it but he posted a synopsis of it.
Actually the Robinson Starman...which as actually as good and someways better then Ostrander....course They've yet to make an Ostrander Spectre collection(which was truly superb)

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Actually the Robinson Starman...which as actually as good and someways better then Ostrander....course They've yet to make an Ostrander Spectre collection(which was truly superb)
Ah, I don't think I now the Robinson version, you're right on the Ostrander Spectre though.

Image Image
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Marvel's Ultimate X-Men we,ve just finish tommorrows ppl here in britian.
I also like ultimate spider-man but its gone downhill as they been putting orginal Uk stories now instead of just the U.S orginals
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

Batman: The Killing Joke is an excellent Joker story written by Alan Moore. I actually like it even more than Year One.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Crazedwraith wrote:Marvel's Ultimate X-Men we,ve just finish tommorrows ppl here in britian.
I also like ultimate spider-man but its gone downhill as they been putting orginal Uk stories now instead of just the U.S orginals
Where are you getting them from? I'm Uk and am having a hell of a time (My Ultimate X-men are upto return of the King part 1, and I had to get the Ultimate Spiderman TPB.).

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Demiurge wrote:Batman: The Killing Joke is an excellent Joker story written by Alan Moore. I actually like it even more than Year One.
I wouldn't say it's better than year one, but it's a damn fine story with a great ending.

Image Image
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Sandman series
I know they are old but i just read them. Not bad
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Demiurge wrote:Batman: The Killing Joke is an excellent Joker story written by Alan Moore. I actually like it even more than Year One.

"....when I get half way across you'll turn off the flashlight". :)

It is a good story.

Some other good Batman stuff:

Son of the Demon
Bride of the Demon
Birth of the Demon

All have to do with Ra's al Ghul

I liked the idea behind Batman: Red Rain and it's sequels but I don't care for the artwork.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Also I can't say this enough

Frank Miller and Matt Wagner.

Miller
Ronin, His Daredevil Run, Darkknight, 300, Sin City (all)

Wagner
Mage (The Hero Reborn), and Grendel just rock if I wasn't using Lamont as my avatar it would be the evil batman hunter rose.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Hellboy, And I second the previous nomination of Bone (very funny).

Image Image
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Hellboy-Hell Yeah!

Also if you can get the Phantagraphics GNs and TPBs,

Terry and The Pirates
Ironwood(X-rated)
Milo Manara: Trip to Tulaun, Deis Ires, Click, Click II (all NC17 Rated)
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2003-06-27 01:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Marvel's Ultimate X-Men we,ve just finish tommorrows ppl here in britian.
Where are you getting them from? I'm Uk and am having a hell of a time (My Ultimate X-men are upto return of the King part 1, and I had to get the Ultimate Spiderman TPB.).
Um im getting them from a newsagent. Are u reading imports then? or the panini comics reprints? Tommorows people where the first 6 issues of ultimate and the 3 of panini's reprints