Smaug vs Balrog

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Smaug vs Balrog

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Pretty much self explainitory.

~Fixed
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Errr that should probably read Smaug. Would be kinda funny to pit a Balrog vs LA Smog though.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

A Balrog is considerably more powerful.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

smaug in his prime might be a match but he was pretty old when killed.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

And the Balrog was pretty wily when it fought with Gandalf. At best Smaug could only hope for. But then what can you hope for against and agent of the Shadows. (Where else do you see a screaming black wraith of destruction but B5?)
And being a creature of fire and shadow it would have a hard time with the Smog, as it might be put out.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Stormin wrote:smaug in his prime might be a match but he was pretty old when killed.
I thought dragons became more powerful with age, not less.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Indeed. The Silmarillion states that dragons were intended to be much more powerful than balrogs.

Smaug vs Durin's bane (I assume that's who you mean) would be a slaughter. Smaug is pretty much impervious to anything DB has, and could lift him up and drop him onto a mountain like a magpie and a snail writ large.

For a comparison Melkor's dagons took on armies by themselves. Galurung had balrogs who obeyed his orders, out of fear.
And the Balrog was pretty wily when it fought with Gandalf.
Was it? It stepped forward after seeing the brigde damaged.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

NecronLord wrote:Indeed. The Silmarillion states that dragons were intended to be much more powerful than balrogs.

Smaug vs Durin's bane (I assume that's who you mean) would be a slaughter. Smaug is pretty much impervious to anything DB has, and could lift him up and drop him onto a mountain like a magpie and a snail writ large.

For a comparison Melkor's dagons took on armies by themselves. Galurung had balrogs who obeyed his orders, out of fear.
That doesn't seem to fit with events on the Hobbit in which a local militia defeated a dragon despite it having most of its belly unnaturally armored.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sea Skimmer wrote: That doesn't seem to fit with events on the Hobbit in which a local militia defeated a dragon despite it having most of its belly unnaturally armored.
It was stated to be a lucky shot with a magic arrow.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Smaug vs. Godzilla, anyone?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Darth Gojira wrote:Smaug vs. Godzilla, anyone?
Now that... would be a battle royale.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

How about Gothmog, rather than Durin's Bane vs. Smaug?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

fgalkin wrote:How about Gothmog, rather than Durin's Bane vs. Smaug?
Gothmog still goes down. Dragons had more sheer power and are much more resistant to damage. Gothmog would give a much better account than the lesser Balrog that is Durin's Bane, but he'd still go down.

Balrogs, being ex-Maiar, probably suffered the same sort of decline as Morogoth or Sauron. Not to mention their primary function was never the same role as dragons. More battlefield magic-users than seige critters.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

NecronLord wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: That doesn't seem to fit with events on the Hobbit in which a local militia defeated a dragon despite it having most of its belly unnaturally armored.
Unhun, however if Smaug had not been able to sleep on a massive bed of gold for decades it wouldn't have mattered, since other militia repeatedly hit him.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Unhun, however if Smaug had not been able to sleep on a massive bed of gold for decades it wouldn't have mattered, since other militia repeatedly hit him.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

It's the arrow that went through smaug and then hit president kennedy.
Back and to the left
Back and to the left
Back
and to the left
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

NecronLord wrote:
So normal arrows repeatedly skewering him wouldn't have any effect? I somehow think not.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

They hit him and had no effect did they not? And in the Slimarillion other dragons ignore arrows. Galurung for example, was stabbed in the same weak spot under the shoulder, it's a very lucky shot.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Sea Skimmer wrote:So normal arrows repeatedly skewering him wouldn't have any effect? I somehow think not.
The Black Arrow was supposed to have never missed it's mark and always recoverable. As it happened, Bard the Bowman caught Smaug in the sweet spot and put the Black Arrow through his heart.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Smaug with the ring would be a very cool alternative story to what was in the Hobbit and the LotR.

I'd also be interested to see what the ring would do to Smaug. Look what it did to Gollum and he was essentially a Hobitt. Certainly Smaug would be more powerful.

Since dragonfire wouldn't destroy the One Ring just imagine if Smaug figured out he had the ring after he swallowed Bilbo. :twisted: So, how would you get Smaug to fly himself into the lava at Mt. Doom? It's either that or try to kill Smaug (with the ring) and then cut it out of him before taking it to Mt. Doom.

I think Middle Earth would eventually be in much worse shape with Smaug getting the One Ring that it would be if Sauron got it. The only exception would be if the ring made Smaug want to stay in his mountain even more, guarding the ring, guarding the treasure and the ring. If it made him seek out more treasure I just picture Smaug (with the ring) scorching much of Middle Earth if he wants to.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

My previous post ended up in the wrong thread so if a mod is so inclined they can delete it and this post. :oops:

Thank you.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Gil Hamilton wrote: The Black Arrow was supposed to have never missed it's mark and always recoverable. As it happened, Bard the Bowman caught Smaug in the sweet spot and put the Black Arrow through his heart.
I know that, now would you stop dodging my point. It was stated that many shots where hitting but smashing against Smaug's golden belly. But he only has that belly because he had a huge pile of gold to lie on for decades. As they are naturally a dragon wouldn't last long aginst any army with archers. That’s likely why Smaug could beat the Dwarves, they don’t use any archers.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote: The Black Arrow was supposed to have never missed it's mark and always recoverable. As it happened, Bard the Bowman caught Smaug in the sweet spot and put the Black Arrow through his heart.
I know that, now would you stop dodging my point. It was stated that many shots where hitting but smashing against Smaug's golden belly. But he only has that belly because he had a huge pile of gold to lie on for decades. As they are naturally a dragon wouldn't last long aginst any army with archers. That’s likely why Smaug could beat the Dwarves, they don’t use any archers.
Actually, Glaurung stomped through archers and spearmen with virtual impunity once he was fully mature (as Samug is). There's no question that dragons can take arrow hits with impunity over most of their bodies.

Dragons have only a few weaker spots. Their bellies are softer (but hardly soft or weak) and some what more vulnerable. It was only a very lucky shot in the weakest spot felled Smaug.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Tsyroc wrote:Since dragonfire wouldn't destroy the One Ring just imagine if Smaug figured out he had the ring after he swallowed Bilbo. :twisted: So, how would you get Smaug to fly himself into the lava at Mt. Doom? It's either that or try to kill Smaug (with the ring) and then cut it out of him before taking it to Mt. Doom.
Ot you could wait for a few days, get a fork and start going through some Dragon droppings. :wink:
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

What if Laketown had catapaults? Or at least ballistae?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion