Cthulhu vs. The Shrike

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Cthulhu vs. The Shrike

Post by fgalkin »

How does the Lord of Pain fare against the uber-squid?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

The Shrike may not even have a mind as we understand it- it is more of a biomechanical machine. Additionally, we don't know how effective Cthulu's mind control is through the temporal displacement defenses of the Shrike.

I would say the Shrike takes it. Cthulu would be in tiny peices before it/he even knew the Shrike was there- timestopping really makes it far too easy :)

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thirdfain wrote:The Shrike may not even have a mind as we understand it- it is more of a biomechanical machine. Additionally, we don't know how effective Cthulu's mind control is through the temporal displacement defenses of the Shrike.

I would say the Shrike takes it. Cthulu would be in tiny peices before it/he even knew the Shrike was there- timestopping really makes it far too easy :)
Well, the Shrike does have a piece of Kassad's personality in it, so it must have a mind. Now how similar is that mind to a human mind is an entirely different question.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thirdfain wrote:The Shrike may not even have a mind as we understand it- it is more of a biomechanical machine. Additionally, we don't know how effective Cthulu's mind control is through the temporal displacement defenses of the Shrike.

Time-stopping? Well, it depends upon your Mythos canon, but Cthulhu might well be capable of this - and also, the fact that Cthulhu is completely invulnerable in theory - yes one can damage and maybe destroy his physical form, but he'll be back and he won't take long doing it either.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Who and what is "The Shrike"?? :?
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

See my answer to fgalkin's "Anakin vs the Shrike" ...

simply put : that thing eats Culture drones for breakfast, IMHO.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Nomad wrote:See my answer to fgalkin's "Anakin vs the Shrike" ...

simply put : that thing eats Culture drones for breakfast, IMHO.
Ueber squid > culture drone. At least the drone can be destroyed.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Didn't I make a thread like this not too long ago?
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

NM, I remember now it was a race to see which one could kill off 20000 people first.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:NM, I remember now it was a race to see which one could kill off 20000 people first.
Yes, I remember that thread quite well. People seemed to think that Chtulhu would win.

You can consider your thread to be the daddy of my thread. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I'm your daddy
-Dargo

Personally I think the Shrike would win. He could just as easily rip him to shreds then hook what was left of his brain up to a terminal and impale him on the tree of thorns while Cthulhu was concentrating on reforming his body. Everyone else on the tree goes instantly mad.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:I'm your daddy
-Dargo

Personally I think the Shrike would win. He could just as easily rip him to shreds then hook what was left of his brain up to a terminal and impale him on the tree of thorns while Cthulhu was concentrating on reforming his body. Everyone else on the tree goes instantly mad.
I don't think you understand. Cthulhu's brain is by no means bound to the physical realm. Impale his brain on the tree of thorns - thats only going to give him more ideas on what to do when he comes back.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I wonder if Merlin's sickness can be induced at will by the Shrike, or was it a result of it interacting with the fields of the Time Tombs?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

That is an evil though :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

WE'd have a long time to wait- Cthulu is almost as old as the universe, so you would have to wait a LONG time for Merlin sickness to destroy him.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thirdfain wrote:WE'd have a long time to wait- Cthulu is almost as old as the universe, so you would have to wait a LONG time for Merlin sickness to destroy him.
ah..but the slow agony of losing your life, one day at a time, would be fun to watch. :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

That and he'd always be confused every time he went into the heads of the weak humans.
*What I've been here before
Before long they all become sane
He loses his army of humans
Then the stars are right all of the sudden, he goes wait I thought it was only labor day what happened. And he's all RARRRR to the humans but they decided hey lets just get some ray guns and shoot him. And he dies. Merlin sickness or no, he's toast.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

That and he'd always be confused every time he went into the heads of the weak humans.
*What I've been here before
Before long they all become sane
He loses his army of humans
Then the stars are right all of the sudden, he goes wait I thought it was only labor day what happened. And he's all RARRRR to the humans but they decided hey lets just get some ray guns and shoot him. And he dies. Merlin sickness or no, he's toast.