Godzilla VS Cthulhu

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crimson King
Redshirt

Godzilla VS Cthulhu

Post by Crimson King »

This is my kind of big monster battle royale! The radioactive reptile versus the supernatural squid-dragon!
They both sleep at the bottom of the ocean awakening only to terrify mankind, so they're a perfect match.

Let's be reasonable and limit ourselves to Classic Godzilla (up to and including Terror of MechaGodzilla) and pit him against Cthulhu (restricted to only Lovecraft's stories).

Godzilla:
-400 feet tall
-radioactive
-blue radiation beam
-magnetic (at least when he wants to be :wink: )
-able to breathe in air, sea or vacuum.
-can fly (while holding one monster of equal mass) :!:

Cthulhu:
-very tall (anyone have a good quote that establishes his size?)
-knows magic spells to preserve life, create lightning, etc
-affects the dreams and sanity of sentients
-mastered interstellar travel
-handy T-1000esque ability to reform after massive disfigurement
-gelatinous :D

Which one will win?

Keep in mind that both are mortal--Godzilla died in his first appearance due to the Oxygen Destroyer and in At the Mountains of Madness, it states that shoggoths can kill members of Cthulhu's species, so they too can die.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Been done

Loser: Toyko!!!!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Godzilla VS Cthulhu

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Crimson King wrote: in At the Mountains of Madness, it states that shoggoths can kill members of Cthulhu's species, so they too can die.
Those are Spawn Of Cthulhu, who are smaller and weaker versions of Cthulhu IIRC.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Crimson King wrote: in At the Mountains of Madness, it states that shoggoths can kill members of Cthulhu's species, so they too can die.
Those are Spawn Of Cthulhu, who are smaller and weaker versions of Cthulhu IIRC.
Is there a good website that lays out the mythos and how it works. I read Lovecraft back in hIgh School and College but I'm very hazy on alot of the details.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stravo wrote: Is there a good website that lays out the mythos and how it works. I read Lovecraft back in hIgh School and College but I'm very hazy on alot of the details.
A good starting pointhttp://www.hplovecraft.com/

It leads to various other mythos place for the big C and others.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

It's been done!

Godzilla vs. Cthulhu
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Actually no, those were "Elder Things", at least I believe thats the correct name. Anyhow - those are in no way shape or form related to Cthulhu's species. By the time they arrived on earth Ry'leh had already sunk and Great Cthulhu was sleeping.

And, for the record, Cthulhu owns Godzilla.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

godzilla goes insane.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Cthulu ignored Godzilla at first, then after a few attacks from 'zilla, squashes him.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

weemadando wrote:Actually no, those were "Elder Things", at least I believe thats the correct name. Anyhow - those are in no way shape or form related to Cthulhu's species. By the time they arrived on earth Ry'leh had already sunk and Great Cthulhu was sleeping.
I thought the Elder Things warred with the Spawn of Cthulhu??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
weemadando wrote:Actually no, those were "Elder Things", at least I believe thats the correct name. Anyhow - those are in no way shape or form related to Cthulhu's species. By the time they arrived on earth Ry'leh had already sunk and Great Cthulhu was sleeping.
I thought the Elder Things warred with the Spawn of Cthulhu??
And I believe that they won because Cthulhu was having a nap in the corner, rather than obliterating their minds... Though its been a while since I read the collated fluff. Give me a few days...
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

It depends on whether or not Cthulhu's mental powers are effective against Godzilla. If they're not, Cthulhu is fucked six ways from Sunday. He's made of jelly. He was nearly cut in half by a boat. Cthulhu's power has never been based on physical strength, and he'll surely lose to Goji if he's forced to rely on it.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Eagle299
Redshirt

Post by Eagle299 »

Its a good thing for Cthulhu that this isn't All Mosters Attack Godzilla. That Godzilla can snack on another monster's soul after he's done beating the crap out of them.
It was tough work, carryng two hundred and twenty pounds of sociopath to the top of Gotham Towers-- The highest spot in the city. The Scream alone is worth it. -Batman, The Dark Knight Returns.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Cthulhu>Godzilla. Though to be fair, that's mainly because of the fact thats he's immortal, and can reform.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Just how big IS C-dude, anyhow?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Darth Gojira wrote:Just how big IS C-dude, anyhow?
Generally 40ft, but is capable of size-changing from human size to godzilla size. He can also alter his shape slightly, either emphasising or reducing certain features, but may never completely change.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Cthulhu being an Elder God, he kinda takes it by default.

Even if you DO manage to inconvenience him somehow, he'll only come back twice as pissed.