Only a Little while until the Next Harry Potter Book.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

Andrew J. wrote:I'm looking forward to it, but I'm wondering how long it's going to be. Goblet was over 600 pages, and each book has been significantly longer than the one before it.
According to Amazon.com, it's 896 pages.

-- Joe Momma
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

True that, Talen, but there hasn't been any mainstream titles in recent history that have been so popular and lengthy as the HP books.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

robert jordan, song of ice and fire?

-considers- prolly not.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Joe Momma wrote:
Andrew J. wrote:I'm looking forward to it, but I'm wondering how long it's going to be. Goblet was over 600 pages, and each book has been significantly longer than the one before it.
According to Amazon.com, it's 896 pages.

-- Joe Momma
The books wouldn't be so long if their typefaces weren't so huge.

Think about it. They could easily cut their page counts by about a third if they used a smaller typeface.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Enforcer Talen wrote:robert jordan, song of ice and fire?

-considers- prolly not.
Speak not the name of that author! *shudder* "Hey, I'll write a story where nothing happens, except a new character gets introduced..."
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

well, tg was popular for a while too, but doesnt mean he's good. . .
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
septesix
Padawan Learner

Post by septesix »

Beowulf wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:robert jordan, song of ice and fire?

-considers- prolly not.
Speak not the name of that author! *shudder* "Hey, I'll write a story where nothing happens, except a new character gets introduced..."
Well, that's only Jordan. Song of Ice and Fire is more in the realm of "Let's kill a couple main character and introduce some new one"
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

a couple? Im willing to say 75% of the characters who've had view points are dead by the end of the third book.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Sorry for the delay Crown, yesterday was a very busy day.
Crown wrote:
The Goblet of Fire, [i]page 513[/i] wrote:Dumbledore had go to his feet. 'I have given evidence already on this matter,' he said calmly. 'Severus Snape was indeed a Death Eater. However, he rejoined our side before Lord Voldemoet's downfall and turned spy for us, at great personal risk. He is now no more a Death Eater than I am.'
Good point, but this does bring another question to mind...

If Snape did have a thing for Lilly, and Voldemort knew about it. Could he not have been trying to capture Lilly in order to lure Snape into a trap because the soon-to-be potions professor had betrayed him?

The biggest problem with the entire "Voldemort wanted to kill Harry" thing I see is that although he slew James outright, he seemed to argue with Lilly for several moments. I don't see this as logical, why did he even bother to stop and engage in dialogue, just kill her and then the baby, and then be done with it.

The only thing I can see as reasoning is that he didn't really want to kill Lilly, and I can find few other answers to that question.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Steven Snyder wrote:Sorry for the delay Crown, yesterday was a very busy day.
Don't sweat it, I understand
Steven Snyder wrote:
Crown wrote:
The Goblet of Fire, [i]page 513[/i] wrote:Dumbledore had go to his feet. 'I have given evidence already on this matter,' he said calmly. 'Severus Snape was indeed a Death Eater. However, he rejoined our side before Lord Voldemoet's downfall and turned spy for us, at great personal risk. He is now no more a Death Eater than I am.'
Good point, but this does bring another question to mind...

If Snape did have a thing for Lilly, and Voldemort knew about it. Could he not have been trying to capture Lilly in order to lure Snape into a trap because the soon-to-be potions professor had betrayed him?
*nods vigerously*

Now that makes more sense, then killing the Potters as a reward to Snape, but that assumes that Voldemort knew that Snape betrayed him, and by the end of the book (Goblet), Dumbledore asks Snape to do something difficult, which hints at going back to Voldemort. Voldemort himself says;
The Goblet of Fire, [i]page 565[/i] wrote:[Voldemort]'And here we have six missing Death Eaters... three dead in my service. One, too cowardly to return... he will pay. One, who I believe has left me for ever... he will be killed, of course... and one, who remains my most faithful servant, and who has already re-entered my service.'
Now obviously the last one he is talking about is Barty Crouch Jr. The other two are a toss up between Snape and Karkaroff. I agree that your above theory does hold water (especially if one is in a sadistic frame of mind).
The biggest problem with the entire "Voldemort wanted to kill Harry" thing I see is that although he slew James outright, he seemed to argue with Lilly for several moments. I don't see this as logical, why did he even bother to stop and engage in dialogue, just kill her and then the baby, and then be done with it.
Ohh I absolutely agree. It's like I said, it was the whole delay over killing Lily, actually arguing with her, that has got all our panties in a bunch
The only thing I can see as reasoning is that he didn't really want to kill Lilly, and I can find few other answers to that question.
Not in dispute. We are searching for the reason, for the why. Your theory provides a good explanation, however I find it strange that you totally write off the theory 'out there to get Harry', that's all.

Rumours going around is that Lily and Voldemort are somehow connected (either through family, maybe Petunia is related to the Riddles?), or perhaps Lily was a Death Eater (not incomprehinsible, the fact that the head of their order is a mudblood after all).

Personally I can't wait to find out! :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Crown wrote:Not in dispute. We are searching for the reason, for the why. Your theory provides a good explanation, however I find it strange that you totally write off the theory 'out there to get Harry', that's all.
I think Harry is the is a Griffyindor Heir. I think the hat wanted to put him in Slytherin, not because of his heritage, but because of Voldemort's influence on him. In the end he chose to be in Gryfindor, unlike everyone else.

Unlike Tom Riddle, Harry sits at the crossroads. He has all the nobility of a Griffyndor, but all of the potential to be one of the most infamous Slitherin. His decision to do the right thing makes him the hero.

But for the Voldemort was out to get Harry theory, it requires one thing. Harry has to be special. And aside from being a possible Gryfindor heir, he isn't.
Rumours going around is that Lily and Voldemort are somehow connected (either through family, maybe Petunia is related to the Riddles?), or perhaps Lily was a Death Eater (not incomprehinsible, the fact that the head of their order is a mudblood after all).
Personally I can't wait to find out! :D
Hmm, I think that is just too much of a stretch...
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Given the fact he said "Out of the way woman" says that he had no particular reason to kill Lily Potter.
That doesn't mean he was unwilling to kill her, as evinced by the fact that he swiftly did kill her. It simply means he was may have left her alive had she thrown Harry to the wolves, and that Voldemort was most specifically going after Harry himself.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Meh, you silly people with your silly little (well, not so little due to the damn typefaces) books... :roll:

:P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Leave us with our big lettered obsession :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Smiling Bandit wrote:
Given the fact he said "Out of the way woman" says that he had no particular reason to kill Lily Potter.
That doesn't mean he was unwilling to kill her, as evinced by the fact that he swiftly did kill her. It simply means he was may have left her alive had she thrown Harry to the wolves, and that Voldemort was most specifically going after Harry himself.
Why then did he instantly slay James and not her? There was something different about them.

Wasn't Voldemort all about killing Mudbloods? I recall he was also a mudblood himself, but I think he started his spree when he was in hogwarts. Now I am pretty sure that Lilly was a mudblood...

So why did Voldemort hesistate to kill Lilly, he could have killed her instantly. He should have killed her instantly, but he didn't...why?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yeah, which was funny in the regard of his controlling the big snake(mostly given Slytherins thought baout anything not pure-blood...which Riddle wasn't)

So one still has to really wonder why he had any hesitation in killing Lily(a mudblood) vs James(a pure blood).

Hopefully will be answered.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Ghost Rider wrote:Yeah, which was funny in the regard of his controlling the big snake(mostly given Slytherins thought baout anything not pure-blood...which Riddle wasn't)

So one still has to really wonder why he had any hesitation in killing Lily(a mudblood) vs James(a pure blood).

Hopefully will be answered.
Hmmm

A new possibility...maybe he wanted Lilly for himself? Then realized she would never submit to him...
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

relating to an earlier post, Im fairly sure karakoff is counted as the coward, as he betrayed many of his compadres.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Enforcer Talen wrote:relating to an earlier post, Im fairly sure karakoff is counted as the coward, as he betrayed many of his compadres.
He is indeed. Voldemort would have heard such from Wormtail.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Lonestar wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:relating to an earlier post, Im fairly sure karakoff is counted as the coward, as he betrayed many of his compadres.
He is indeed. Voldemort would have heard such from Wormtail.
That and he was the first to run when his mark flared. :)

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

septesix wrote:Well, that's only Jordan. Song of Ice and Fire is more in the realm of "Let's kill a couple main character and introduce some new one"
That was who I was lambasting...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

really? I prefer him to jordan.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Err.. forgot to snip enough... *sigh* silly me... I was lambasting Jordan... Song of Ice and fire is a wonderful series...
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

What's everyone's theories in Arabella Figg?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The logical character to potentially kill off would be Ginny Weasley.

I'm more interested in seeing what Dumbledore sent Professor Snape to do at the end of GoF. I am also quite interested in what Snape did to get Professor Dumbledore to trust him so implicitly.

Figg is clearly one of Dumbledore's old friends, who was sent to watch over Harry. She might even be the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, as her personality would seem to fit with the description of the book from the publisher.

Anyway, she's clearly pretty powerful, and Dumbledore's clearly sent her to watch over Harry while he was with his aunt and uncle. I don't know why she was mentioned as having broken her leg, but I strongly suspect that she suffered no such injury and that her reason was merely an excuse to let her get away and deal with something more important.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."