Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I just saw this today, the second MCU film of the year usually coincides with my birthday and this was no exception. A lot happened in this film and I'm pleased to say unlike other MCU entries post-infinity saga, this one does not disappoint and provides the origin story for Rocket. And a bad guy that was basically Hitler without the moustache! :lol:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Post by Ralin »

I haven't seen the first two Guardians movies, but I am interested in learning more about the rabbit so sounds good.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

It's highly recommended you see the first two, first one shows how guardians came to be and the second one delves into Star-Lord's origins. This time it's Rocket's turn :mrgreen: There's a few cameos from previous films in this one, most importantly Yondu.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: This scene from becomes extra meaningful once you see 3:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-07 10:23pm GHETTO EDIT: This scene from becomes extra meaningful once you see 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZATWWrVJrQ[youtube]
It is very, very sad that I totally forgot that scene.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-05-08 07:59am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-07 10:23pm GHETTO EDIT: This scene from 2 becomes extra meaningful once you see 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZATWWrVJrQ[youtube]
It is very, very sad that I totally forgot that scene.
There was a typo in that post, I left out the 2. It was when Kraglin, Rocket and Yondu are on their way to rescue Quill from Ego and Rocket said he was going to use it to lord it over Star-Lord which made Yondu laugh at him.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

A major plot hole from the end of the film has been pointed out- where were Star Lord's helmet and rocket boots? It was obvious that they had to have Adam Warlock do something to justify rescuing him and it looks like that's what they came up with.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

They were gone the entire film, not just the end. Likely something from Guardians Holiday Movie, which I haven't seen.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Nah, there's nothing in that that explains it.

Just came back from it I will admit it is probably the best movie Marvel's had for ages looking at it dispassionately but that's rather grudging as I'm not really a huge guardians fan.

There's something about the humour and style that doesn't click for me. I also laughed inappropriately at the 'not yet' bit in the near death experience because you just knew that was coming.

I also not a fan of explaining each other's character and character development but shouting exposition on it to each other..

Adam Warlock was rather underused feels like they wrote that stinger last time with nothing planned.

That said it was still massively entertaining and everything i've not complained about was basicay fine. The corridor fight scene was a real standout and they gave everyone at least a little bit to do.

And of course I welled up at nearly all the appropriate moments with Rocket.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Theres a tiktok released showing Florence Welch tearing up and laughing during her songs scene.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Will I have any problems if I watch this without having seen Infinity War or Endgame ?
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

No. There's actually a scene where they summarise what happened. All you need to know at the beginning is Gamora isn't with them.

Ivanova is always right.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Though why the hell you haven't seen them by now is another matter :lol:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-17 03:48pm Though why the hell you haven't seen them by now is another matter :lol:
Because the only MCU characters that interested me when Infinity War came out were the guardians and Dr Strange. It seemed clear that both those movies relied heavily on characters I had no interest in. Everything I heard about them confirmed it.

At not point have I had any interest in seeing them. But, because they linked the plotlines of basically everything in the MCU up to that point, their existence reduced my interest in the MCU going forwards.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-05-18 02:23am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-17 03:48pm Though why the hell you haven't seen them by now is another matter :lol:
Because the only MCU characters that interested me when Infinity War came out were the guardians and Dr Strange. It seemed clear that both those movies relied heavily on characters I had no interest in. Everything I heard about them confirmed it.

At not point have I had any interest in seeing them. But, because they linked the plotlines of basically everything in the MCU up to that point, their existence reduced my interest in the MCU going forwards.
It's called continuity lock out :mrgreen:
  • Avengers: Infinity War broadly assumes that the viewer has seen all of the previous MCU films, as it's chockful of nods and references to prior incidents in the timeline. However, it most specifically requires that the viewer has seen the previous Avengers films (to know that Thanos is involved as the series' Big Bad), the first Guardians of the Galaxy (as the main team and the Collector are present), Captain America: Civil War (as Infinity War begins with several team members on the lam after being broken out of The Raft at the end of the previous film, and heavily involves Spiderman and Black Panther who were introduced in that movie), Thor: Ragnarok (which explains why Thor, Loki and Hulk are on the Asgardian ship) and Black Panther (which sets up Wakanda, the setting for the film's climax).
  • Avengers: Endgame takes this even further, as it requires that the viewer is familiar with the two films that came out in between it and Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel (2019), on top of having to know about every other film that came before both, especially because the film has the characters time-travelling to various points in their history, such as to the climatic battle of The Avengers and the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy, and the final battle at the end has every surviving ally and supporting cast of the Avengers show up to help them fight Thanos and his forces (which also include within their ranks the several different races shown in prior films). And as demonstrated when someone who hadn't seen any of the past movies writes his impressions, characters are rarely even called by their names\codenames, so it's pretty clear the movie expects you to know everyone who shows up on screen.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ah, so that's what it's called.

I've seen this movie. Overall I enjoyed it, even if the running time was at about the limit of what I can handle without an intermission. Lucky the theater I went to didn't have many ads.

But I probably won't be seeing anything more from the MCU. Continuity lockout is telling me that I need to spend the time to catch up on everything if I want to keep watching any part of it.

Also, am I the only person thinking that the High Evolutionary had no idea how to test for the intelligence he wanted out of his creations ?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You don't need to watch everything to watch any part of it. Plenty of the phase 4 series were new characters that were entirely standalone needing to watching nothing else. Most prominently Moon Knight.

Even for the main films 'continuity lockout' is massively overstating it. Like, you just watched GotG 3 without any other stuff and enjoyed it. Films generally will give a brief explanation of things as they go not just rely in you seeing past things. (the infinity stones are explained at the start of infinity war) you won't get the full detail of everything but you won't be lost either.

High Evolutionary definitely did not know what he wants. He's batshit crazy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ok, so continuity lockout might be overblown. That removes my main reason for avoiding Infinity War and Endgame.

But it doesn't give me a reason to watch them.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well you're doing yourself a massive disservice, I don't know why none of the other characters interest you :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-05-18 11:00am Ok, so continuity lockout might be overblown. That removes my main reason for avoiding Infinity War and Endgame.

But it doesn't give me a reason to watch them.
If you don't want to watch them, don't watch them. I'm not here to convince you but if there is something you want to watch, don't talk yourself out of it because of continuity is all I'm saying.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Just imagine Thanas banned Gamora.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!